Author Topic: The Walking Dead, AMC series  (Read 44741 times)

Offline Jack R.

• Frequent Poster
  • Sci Fi Geek, fencer, free thinker, dog friendly
    • Skeptical Perspectives Blog
Re: The Walking Dead, AMC series
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 12:09:39 AM »
Watched the premiere,  liked it.  Since its a zombie apocalypse, you can forgive some sizable plot holes. 
"What do I think of Western Civilization?  I think it would be a very good idea."  -   Mohandes Gandhi

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 12:46:11 AM »
In my download queue now...
I love the interwebs.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 02:40:05 AM »
Watched the premiere,  liked it.  Since its a zombie apocalypse, you can forgive some sizable plot holes.

I thought it was well done, but hasn't brought anything new to the table yet.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Rider

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 03:01:15 AM »

Can't something be well done without "bringing something new to the table".
"The biofield is the master energy field that regulates the body’s functions and informs the body to relax."

Offline David E.

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Contentedly Misanthropic.
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010, 08:27:31 AM »

There has to be, everything has been done before.  I liked the old style feel to the zombies, and that their speed was based on their condition. 
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline Rider

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2010, 09:40:16 AM »

There has to be, everything has been done before.  I liked the old style feel to the zombies, and that their speed was based on their condition.

It's funny because I know most people are going to say there is  not much new here but when you look at the details there are tons of little details.   

One primary overlooked and obvious one,  how come no one as far as I can tell has ever ridden a horse in a zombie movie before.  It's really obvious, it's what should be going in movies like Land of the Dead yet I don't think I have ever seen it.

The scene with the zombie in the park, brilliant and no one else has ever come close to anything like that. 

Theres tons of little fleshed out details that no one has ever bothered with before but everyone going to say just another zombie story.
"The biofield is the master energy field that regulates the body’s functions and informs the body to relax."

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2010, 10:00:10 AM »
One primary overlooked and obvious one,  how come no one as far as I can tell has ever ridden a horse in a zombie movie before.  It's really obvious, it's what should be going in movies like Land of the Dead yet I don't think I have ever seen it.

There was horse-riding in Survival of the Dead.

Offline Rider

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2010, 10:02:47 AM »

There was horse-riding in Survival of the Dead.

Haven't seen that one yet, and it's kind of funny that Romero would finally include it after Kirkman put it in Walking Dead.

Offline David E.

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2010, 11:15:53 AM »

It's funny because I know most people are going to say there is  not much new here but when you look at the details there are tons of little details.   

The scene with the zombie in the park, brilliant and no one else has ever come close to anything like that. 

Theres tons of little fleshed out details that no one has ever bothered with before but everyone going to say just another zombie story.

One thing that you really don't see enough of in movies.  What happens when you fire a big ass gun in an enclosed space.  BOOOIIINNNNGGGG
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2010, 11:19:43 AM »

AFter thinking about it, i tend to agree that there some new things in the story, they were just easy to miss.  One review I read noted that the little girl in the beginning reached for a doll even though she was a zombie, and the zombie wife seemed to recall the house she had been staying in.  It seems like they are going to humanize these zombies a little more than in other movies.

However I stand by the premise that new artwork should bring something new to the table, or else what's the point?
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Rider

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2010, 11:30:17 AM »

AFter thinking about it, i tend to agree that there some new things in the story, they were just easy to miss.  One review I read noted that the little girl in the beginning reached for a doll even though she was a zombie, and the zombie wife seemed to recall the house she had been staying in.  It seems like they are going to humanize these zombies a little more than in other movies.

However I stand by the premise that new artwork should bring something new to the table, or else what's the point?

Enjoyment, beauty, any number of things.  I don't think something needs to be new or ground breaking to be enjoyable.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2010, 11:31:09 AM »

Enjoyment, beauty, any number of things.  I don't think something needs to be new or ground breaking to be enjoyable.
fair enough, its not like anything is ever a carbon copy anyway.

Offline David E.

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2010, 11:31:40 AM »

That is an old premise; back to Dawn of the Dead.  The zombies have a sense of belonging. 

I had a dream last week that was a zombie scenario.  There was a twist in my dream where the zombie was hooked up with on of the SQUID devices from the movie Strane Days. 

Offline JoelWhy

• Reptilian infiltrator
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2010, 12:41:57 PM »
Is this show on Hulu or anything?  I have a buddy of mine who has no cable but wants to see the show...
"I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2010, 01:37:32 PM »
Loved the premiere.

Agreed that the zombies seem to be very humanized. There are some indiviual zombies that stood out, adn may play a part of the over all story which is different then the typical zombie genre.  I have a feeling that the zombie that looked like Wormtongue is going to reappear in future episode.

Also some interesting set up for the human angle, with the partner being with the protaganist's wife and son.

personate-rain