Author Topic: The Walking Dead, AMC series  (Read 46630 times)

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
Re: The Walking Dead, AMC series
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2010, 02:02:29 PM »
Is this show on Hulu or anything?  I have a buddy of mine who has no cable but wants to see the show...

as far as legal ways to watch
http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-Walking-Dead/where-to-watch
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2010, 09:11:44 AM »
Caught most of the first ep before bed time:

1) little girl shot in the head in the first 5 minutes... okay now i grok why they might run this at 10 pm.

2) they didn't try to explain it all in the first ep.

3) pacing is typically amc: slow, deliberate, give it time we'll take you some place
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline JoelWhy

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Reptilian infiltrator
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2010, 09:26:40 AM »
1) little girl shot in the head in the first 5 minutes... okay now i grok why they might run this at 10 pm.

That's funny, because they showed it at 7 p.m. here!  I was very surprised.  There was also a 10 p.m. showing, and maybe the 7 show was a feed from the east coast, but I was very surprised to see such a graphic show at such an early hour.
"I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Offline Rider

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2010, 10:06:12 AM »
Loved the premiere.

Agreed that the zombies seem to be very humanized. There are some indiviual zombies that stood out, adn may play a part of the over all story which is different then the typical zombie genre.  I have a feeling that the zombie that looked like Wormtongue is going to reappear in future episode.

Also some interesting set up for the human angle, with the partner being with the protaganist's wife and son.

This would be a major departure from the comic books if that did happen.
"The biofield is the master energy field that regulates the body’s functions and informs the body to relax."

Offline goodthink

• Well Established
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2010, 10:53:55 AM »
Really loved the first show. Sure, cliche in some parts, but damn.

The pacing was very good. The odd shots raised a lot of questions. The special effects were top notch. They have the black dude from jericho in it, AND a lot of the stuff makes sense. Like shooting in the tank disorienting the guy.

I have high expectation for this show.

Offline antares434

• Off to a Start
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2010, 11:15:31 AM »
Excellent pilot episode I thought.  As far as bringing something new ... the major new thing is the long format of the series and hopefully good character development ... human drama being the driving force of the story as opposed to running away from and killing zombies.
The public, when aroused and excited by passion and prejudice, is little better than a wild beast.

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2010, 11:22:53 AM »
But like all sci-fi shows when they run out of good material they'll introduce some ludicrous government conspiracy plot.

Just sayin'.
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

Offline Rider

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2010, 11:29:03 AM »
But like all sci-fi shows when they run out of good material they'll introduce some ludicrous government conspiracy plot.

Just sayin'.

Umm you do realize the have probably at least 8 season worth of storyline already.
"The biofield is the master energy field that regulates the body’s functions and informs the body to relax."

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2010, 11:36:14 AM »
Loved the premiere.

Agreed that the zombies seem to be very humanized. There are some indiviual zombies that stood out, adn may play a part of the over all story which is different then the typical zombie genre.  I have a feeling that the zombie that looked like Wormtongue is going to reappear in future episode.

Also some interesting set up for the human angle, with the partner being with the protaganist's wife and son.

This would be a major departure from the comic books if that did happen.

I seem to remeber reading that it is remaining faithful to the books, so I'm probably wrong then :P

Offline Kessdawg

• Well Established
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2010, 11:52:02 AM »
Random comments

Saw it last night.  Loved it. 

Turns out it was the highest rated AMC original show ever: 5.3 million viewers.

I loved the guy from Jericho! He needs to work more.

Random spoilers
(click to show/hide)

Just sayin'.

Thats what Jericho is there for, didn't you see it? hahaha
bellyfeel - Full emotional understanding. Blind, enthusiastic acceptance of a concept

Visit my Fiance's Etsy store.  Now on sale Gingerbread house kits!
http://www.etsy.com/listing/87699428/gingerbread-house-kit

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2010, 11:59:23 AM »

Just sayin'.

Umm you do realize the have probably at least 8 season worth of storyline already.

[citation needed]
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

Offline Rider

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2010, 12:32:11 PM »

Just sayin'.

[citation needed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Walking_Dead

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2010, 03:02:55 PM »
I think i came off more negative than i meant.  I enjoyed the pilot and will definitely keep watching.  I've just seen a ton of zombie movies and there is only so much you can do with it to keep it fresh.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2010, 03:06:24 PM »
Nice write up on The Nerdist Blog:

Spoliers for the first episode be had here:

(click to show/hide)

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2010, 04:05:56 PM »
I think i came off more negative than i meant.  I enjoyed the pilot and will definitely keep watching.  I've just seen a ton of zombie movies and there is only so much you can do with it to keep it fresh.

Exactly. I think I got some flames on the thread about Zombieland because I claimed they played it safe and didn't extend the Zombie mythology like 28 Days Later did (gave us the notion of fast zombies). It was such a solid cast I though they could play with the form.

The Walking Dead, being the first real Zombie series, I think needs to play it "true" to form in the outset. I think they can play with the form if they establish their ratings cred.

"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

personate-rain