Author Topic: Too Cool not to post  (Read 147131 times)

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
Re: Too Cool not to post
« Reply #2490 on: April 20, 2017, 10:39:48 PM »
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #2491 on: April 21, 2017, 01:47:08 AM »
Oooh

Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #2492 on: April 21, 2017, 02:15:14 AM »
I'll have to take you at your word that that's cool. :)

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #2493 on: April 26, 2017, 10:03:24 PM »

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2494 on: April 26, 2017, 10:38:58 PM »
How functional is the hand?

One of the weirder sensations I had after my amputation (lower leg) was when the nurse was rubbing some Vitamin E ointment along one of my closure wounds, which had joined skin from the sides of my residual leg. While I could see her finger simply following one line up and down the wound, what I would feel was two fingers, one on each side of my leg. Phantom sensations are also weird.

How long ago?

Your mileage may vary.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #2495 on: April 27, 2017, 06:13:01 AM »
How functional is the hand?

One of the weirder sensations I had after my amputation (lower leg) was when the nurse was rubbing some Vitamin E ointment along one of my closure wounds, which had joined skin from the sides of my residual leg. While I could see her finger simply following one line up and down the wound, what I would feel was two fingers, one on each side of my leg. Phantom sensations are also weird.

How long ago?

Your mileage may vary.
The amputation? 10 years ago. My cycling accident was 11 April 2007, and the amputation was performed about 6 weeks later. I also had the pleasure during that 6 weeks of being able to view the muscles inside my lower leg during dressing changes. I'd had a knee to ankle fasciotomy on both sides of the leg due to severe compartment syndrome following my initial orthopaedic and vascular operations. I did find it rather fascinating to be able to look at the muscles inside my own body.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #2496 on: April 27, 2017, 11:35:52 AM »
I did find it rather fascinating to be able to look at the muscles inside my own body.

A fascinating experience.  I think I'd prefer to watch it on video afterwards than real time though.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2497 on: April 27, 2017, 12:00:00 PM »
My daughter's boyfriend lost his lower leg in a motorcycle accident a few years ago and uses a prosthetic. It's a topic I'm very interested in these days

Your mileage may vary.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #2498 on: April 27, 2017, 04:53:11 PM »
I did find it rather fascinating to be able to look at the muscles inside my own body.

A fascinating experience.  I think I'd prefer to watch it on video afterwards than real time though.
If I'd had a camera I'd have used it. This was before the era of smart phones as well.

At my first dressing change they gave me self administered gas to try in case I needed pain relief. That was a pretty weird experience in itself. After that I had the gas on hand but didn't use it, never felt the need and so I was able to observe the slow dressing change process.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #2499 on: April 27, 2017, 04:53:54 PM »
My daughter's boyfriend lost his lower leg in a motorcycle accident a few years ago and uses a prosthetic. It's a topic I'm very interested in these days
What would you like to know?

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2500 on: April 27, 2017, 05:00:20 PM »
What would you like to know?

Everything.  Good  places to read up on the topic. Especially information about prosthetics.

(Plus, if you know any good amputee jokes)

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2501 on: April 27, 2017, 06:54:16 PM »
This was before the era of smart phones as well.

Cognitive dissonance of the week: Smart phones as we know them have been around for less than 10 years.

(Although I feel like I had a "built in apps" semi-dumb touchscreen phone with a camera around that time that would have taken videos at 240p or something like that)
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #2502 on: April 27, 2017, 07:04:32 PM »
This was before the era of smart phones as well.

Cognitive dissonance of the week: Smart phones as we know them have been around for less than 10 years.

I have zero cognitive dissonance about that, because I'm still on one of these }|<o):

#noregrets
Mooohn!

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2503 on: April 27, 2017, 09:14:42 PM »
I have zero cognitive dissonance about that, because I'm still on one of these }|<o):

#noregrets

Im actually quite looking forward to seeing how Nokia's soon-to-be-released android smartphones turn out.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #2504 on: April 27, 2017, 10:22:38 PM »
I have no real interest in them atm. I can see the benefits of a smartphone, but I spend so much time behind computers of some kind already, I really don't feel I need one in my pocket when I'm not around one I need to carry with both hands.
Mooohn!

personate-rain