Author Topic: Too Cool not to post  (Read 254593 times)

Friendly Angel and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
Re: Too Cool not to post
« Reply #3030 on: October 15, 2019, 04:31:36 PM »
I'd have thought a whole heap of shit would be different if the Earth were retrograde. The cause of being retrograde to begin with would mean the planet's surface likely would be vastly different.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #3031 on: October 15, 2019, 04:51:41 PM »
I'd have thought a whole heap of shit would be different if the Earth were retrograde. The cause of being retrograde to begin with would mean the planet's surface likely would be vastly different.

I am not eve sure the plates would drift the same.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #3032 on: October 15, 2019, 06:42:39 PM »
The operators of the VLT at Atacama would be unhappy.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #3033 on: October 16, 2019, 04:13:57 AM »

There may not have even been tectonic plates at all.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
« Reply #3034 on: October 16, 2019, 06:36:02 AM »

OK.  How so?  That sound interesting.
Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3035 on: October 16, 2019, 08:09:57 AM »

That seems like a reach. The physics that cause the plates to move would remain, albeit with different vectors.

Kind of analogous to weather patterns being fundamentally the same in both hemispheres now, in spite of the fact that the Coriolis Effect manifests itself in the opposite direction.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
« Reply #3036 on: October 16, 2019, 08:17:26 AM »
Except that plates drifting in a new direction makes a completely different set of continents.  Therefore that map is only half right. Although, any such map would not be recognizable as having the same origin as earth (like that map leverages)  if the plates drifted all widdershins.
Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3037 on: October 16, 2019, 09:33:23 AM »
Except that plates drifting in a new direction makes a completely different set of continents.  Therefore that map is only half right. Although, any such map would not be recognizable as having the same origin as earth (like that map leverages)  if the plates drifted all widdershins.
Okay, so there would have been plates, but not the same plates? That's fine, they're just crust floating on the mantle, right?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
« Reply #3038 on: October 16, 2019, 10:57:36 AM »
Okay, so there would have been plates, but not the same plates? That's fine, they're just crust floating on the mantle, right?

Yeah, but the continents are shaped by how they split.  Pull them apart in different places they will neccesarily be shaped differently.  Not to mention in different places.
Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3039 on: October 16, 2019, 11:18:42 AM »

Yeah, but the continents are shaped by how they split.  Pull them apart in different places they will neccesarily be shaped differently.  Not to mention in different places.
Obviously.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #3040 on: October 16, 2019, 09:42:38 PM »

OK.  How so?  That sound interesting.

Well as an example, Venus doesn't have tectonic plates.

It requires particular circumstances for them to occur, they are not a given. If the planet experienced an event that caused it to have retrograde spin, there's a chance the conditions for tectonic plates to form may not exist.

Keep in mind I said "may not exist" and not "would not exist". An event causing a planet to end up with retrograde spin is not a small thing, it is massive disturbance to the planet. Who can possibly know what geological status would exist after such an event?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 09:45:16 PM by Alex Simmons »

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #3041 on: October 16, 2019, 09:59:28 PM »
You are over thinking it  ;)

It's a thought experiment. Given existing geography, how would a retrograde rotation affect earths climate and weather patterns?

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #3042 on: October 16, 2019, 10:46:33 PM »

It's a thought experiment. Given existing geography, how would a retrograde rotation affect earths climate and weather patterns?
Are you new to the SGU forums?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline bimble

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #3043 on: October 17, 2019, 04:54:54 AM »
So if the land masses might have formed differently if we had been rotating in the opposite direction, might this be a better representation...??  ;D

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3044 on: October 17, 2019, 07:08:54 AM »

Are you new to the SGU forums?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep. This IS the War Room.

personate-rain
personate-rain