Author Topic: Individual mental state and Team performance  (Read 188 times)

Offline madjockmcferson

• Well Established
Individual mental state and Team performance
« on: November 23, 2010, 02:03:27 PM »
The football (soccer) forum to which I belong is having a debate about the effect of individual mental 'wellbeing' on team performance. It so happens my team is 3-10 this year.

The hypothesis is

1)Individual mental well-being (confidence in performance / fear of relegation / unity in a losing streak) will affect team performance

2) Supporters can tell if players are suffering mentally via their body language.

I have found evidence online that body language is a poor indicator of mental wellbeing. For instance, someone folding their arms is traditionally thought to be closed minded and upset - where-as in actual fact they might just be more comfortable that way...

However, I cannot find anything relating to the affect on the team dynamic of having 'dispirited' or 'downcast' or 'mentally not 100%' individuals.

Another debate is whether 'team spirit' really matters and whether it can ever make up for relative talent.....for instance, in the short term (ie one game) I can imagine that team spirit and togetherness could overcome a better team - but that in the longterm (ie a season) the only factor that matters is talent and performance.....

Does anyone have an opinion? Is there any research about how important individual 'mental states' is for team performance....in the context of sport.....i couldn't find anything.

The Old Lie : Dulce et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori

Offline Bigpoppamikey

• Off to a Start
Re: Individual mental state and Team performance
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 08:27:03 PM »
I live in Perth, Western Australia, and our team-Perth Glory-obtained Robbie Fowler this year. For the first 5 or 6 weeks, everything was running swimmingly, and spirits were high. Then, Robbie's wife moved back to England with his kids, and the team hit a 6 week losing streak.

Of course, I only know about Robbie's wife because my mate's dad is the Glory's equipment manager. Anyways, last week Fowler got himself a goal and his mood instantly lifted, leading to him scoring a hat-trick and Glory winning the game... you see where I'm going with this.

To cut a long story short, my mate has had Paul McCartney's guitar sitting in his house for the past two months or so.