Author Topic: Skeptic angst  (Read 10498 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Skeptic angst
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2006, 10:18:32 AM »
Regarding "idiot"

This is an archaic medical term defining a particular severity of mental retardation (mental ability below the level of a 3 year old).

Here is a relevant note from dictionary.com:

"NOTE: While the terms idiot imbecile, and moron survive in many state codes and statutes, they are generally no longer used in both medical and legal contexts. The modern terminology distinguishes between mild, moderate, severe, and profound levels of retardation. Historically persons with mental retardation have suffered legal disabilities (as in not being allowed to marry or vote). Generally today, an adult with mental retardation who is his or her own guardian does not suffer these disabilities."
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline Gilnei

• Well Established
  • Resident Brazilian Skeptic
Skeptic angst
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2006, 02:26:45 PM »
The only (partial) solution I can think of is science education. Good science education that is... not memorizing some formulas or chemical reactions or something, but actually understanding and implementing a proper scientific protocol and honing the reasoning process.

Man, how I crave for the day this becomes true.

I spent some 2 years having chemistry classes that will have near ZERO impact on my life. Had they been spent studying the scientific method or critical thinking, I'd be much better equipped to learn things on my own waaay after school ended.
Scientists are the leading cause of cancer in lab rats.

Offline Paulhoff

• Seasoned Contributor
Skeptic angst
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2006, 05:25:14 PM »
Quote from: "Gilnei"
I spent some 2 years having chemistry classes that will have near ZERO impact on my life. Had they been spent studying the scientific method or critical thinking, I'd be much better equipped to learn things on my own waaay after school ended.

You may never know when these classes will come in handy. They do give you insight that you would not have now without them.

Paul

:D  :D  :D

When I took typing in high school 40 years ago, I would never know that one day I would be using that on a job programming a mainframe computer.
color=blue]"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein
Much worse than the Question not asked, is the Answer not Given. - mine
Never in the history of humankind, have so many, known so little, about so much.[/color]

Offline Wonko the Sane

• Well Established
Skeptic angst
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2006, 06:52:59 PM »
Quote from: "Gilnei"
The only (partial) solution I can think of is science education. Good science education that is... not memorizing some formulas or chemical reactions or something, but actually understanding and implementing a proper scientific protocol and honing the reasoning process.

Man, how I crave for the day this becomes true.

I am reminded of a qoute

"Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education."
- Bertrand Russell
'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

"People in bamboo houses should not throw pandas" -Jesus

Offline Paulhoff

• Seasoned Contributor
Skeptic angst
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2006, 07:12:22 PM »
Quote from: "Wonko the Sane"
"Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education."
- Bertrand Russell

That all depends on the education, not on education itself. If education made one stupid, explain rednecks.

Paul

:D  :D  :D
color=blue]"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein
Much worse than the Question not asked, is the Answer not Given. - mine
Never in the history of humankind, have so many, known so little, about so much.[/color]

personate-rain