Author Topic: Skeptic Game - Implementation  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Rocket Man

• Seasoned Contributor
Skeptic Game - Implementation
« on: November 26, 2010, 06:02:02 PM »
I am starting this post to possibly assess the community and the skills they may have in the field of game design. If you are willing to help with a skeptical indie game post here.

Please reply to this post if you have experience and you are willing to offer your skills to the community.

Note: Remember to include this information
-Area of expertise
-Amount of time you will be able to commit
-Preferred contact info (PM,e-mail, ect.)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 01:13:24 AM by Rocket Man 36 »

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
Re: Skeptic Game - Implementation
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 01:08:44 PM »
I am, once again, in.
I haven't heard a great idea yet tho.  :P

-Skillz: I can do anything (relevant to games). I am a professional 3D animator who can draw, design, model, rig, and program. I have also written sketch comedy. I am learning the Unity engine (which is what most people use to make iphone games) as we speak. This is the program and platform I recommend.
-Time: variable. If I take time off work, which happens often, I'll be able to give 60 hours a week to a project I really believe in. If not, 10.
-Contact: email, which I'll PM once we know who's here. Not that it's hard to find or anything.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline Cybrmynd

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 12:44:56 AM »
Cool, I like the idea of a skeptic-themed game.

I don't have any experience in serious video game design, other than curiosities and experiments done to understand a bit more about game design. (valve source, hammer, maya, 3d max) When I was more interested in art and animation, the software I focused around were Flash and Photoshop although now, I consider myself a musician and composer.

-Skillz: Music, Flash and Photoshop. With minimal 3d understanding.
-Time: For music, anytime.

Offline Mittell

• Off to a Start
    • AeonSpire
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 06:31:52 PM »
I think the idea is to see who can bring what to the table before getting our hands dirty. :)

-Skillz: Programming, while I am a Trainee Software Developer primarily working with VB.NET I have been dabbling with game-related engines such as the RPG Maker series, Ren'Py, Game Maker 8, and slowly but surely Unity 3.0. I also have a little bit of experience working with 3D figure illustration/animation/scenery applications such as DAZ Studio and Vue 8.
-Time: Around 50 Hours at full speed, and no social life (If I had one to lose that is :D)

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 08:27:21 PM »
Is the game going to use some sort of engine or is it going to written from scratch?

I have a fair amount of programming experience and computer science / algorithm knowledge, but I don't have experience with any engine or any extensive experience with graphics.  I have a bit of experience working on simple 2D games.

I know C and Java well and at this point I could expand on my C++ or Python.

I'm not really sure how busy I'm going to be next semester, but I think I can commit 3-5 hours/week.

Offline lardbeetle

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 09:35:37 PM »
Skillz:  Playtesting, idea generation.   ;D
"Question with boldness even the existence of God; because if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear." ~ Thomas Jefferson
"The communist party must command all the guns, so no guns can ever be used to command the party."~ Mao

Offline kinjutsu

• Off to a Start
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 09:22:43 AM »
Guess I'm a bit late to the party, but I'm glad someone is interested in starting this up.  I'm a professional game artist myself.

Skills: 
3d - high and low poly modeling, texture and shader creation, familiar with most current gen engines, i.e. Unreal, Unity, Source, etc.
2d - decent 2d skills, concept art, or 2d assets and backgrounds
Web - page design, html/css

Time: Currently not too much due to full time job, but around 5 - 8 hours a week

I'm actually trying to do my own entry for the U.S. STEM game competition at the moment, but it's due Jan. 5th so that will be done with soon.  If nothing comes from that I'd be open joining projects like this :)

Offline Deathzor

• Off to a Start
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 08:15:02 AM »
-Skillz: C++, python, php, "jquery javascript"
i can do application design if there is a need for it ( design as in structure not as in GUI ).

in the past i worked with (3d engines):
Irrlicht
Panda3d

-Time: not much ( will submit patches when i can )

-Preferred contact info (irc, twitter email maillist etc ).

-Disclaimer:
i'm working on my own web based game also that project ( the webbased game ), takes priority over "this project" the skeptic game if you have a problem with me doing more then 1 project at a time well then don't ask me to write code ( its that simple ).

- Resources:
1. Currently have under my command a VPS box with a 100G traffic limit ( well there is more traffic on it but not willing to donate that ).
2. i'm looking into buying a dedicated soon so might be able to donate a VPS to the project ( this is a maby don't count on it )
( depends if i get time to launch my own game project in alpha soon ). 

Contact methodes irc:
freenode.org/rizon Deathzor

Contact methodes email
PM me for a email address.

twitter @deathtje

personate-rain