Author Topic: We need your help!  (Read 17184 times)

Offline Skad

• Off to a Start
We need your help!
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 01:28:10 PM »
Jay,

I think SGU is at a great point to start a marketing push.  I absolutely love the show and it is the highlight of my week.  

A s for ideas, I would like to share some of mine.

y ou should have a contest for a new logo (yours is great but it is always nice to get fresh ideas) I am sure that there are plenty of Photoshop artsy types who listen and would love a chance to show off their skills.  This is sure to stir up some great graphics for photos and the website as well as merchandise.

I  think that incorporating some of the great quotes of the show into some custom gear is really easy and I could point you to a distributor that could take graphics and vector art and create a custom store link within days for you at no cost.

I  am sure that having Rebecca on the team (being in marketing herself) would be a great bouncing board for any of these ideas.

I f you guys need anything at all I am more than willing to help because you all have a great cause and I would love to have some gear to show my support.
quot;Catholic school makes the best atheist’s" - Julia Sweeney

Offline jason

• Frequent Poster
We need your help!
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2007, 06:29:31 PM »
Okay, on what planet does one start the first word of each paragraph with a bolded, enlarged character?
quot;Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick
"Scientific skepticism: the buck stops at reality."

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
We need your help!
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2007, 07:03:30 PM »
Quote from: "jason"
Okay, on what planet does one start the first word of each paragraph with a bolded, enlarged character?

Earth?

Offline Jay

• SGU Panel Member
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
We need your help!
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2007, 07:07:47 PM »
HA!
I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. - Ford Prefect  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Offline stickman

• Stopped Going Outside
We need your help!
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 08:28:53 PM »
Possibly, Skad is just trying to be unique in his posting.
Really, who can be faulted for that?
 Everyone should try to be as distinctive!
 There's nothing wrong with it.
 Except, perhaps, what it might make people think about you.  What it might say about your personality.
 Nah, I take that back.
That would never happen here.
 Imagining that you could tell something about someones personality based on a quirk in their posting style?
 Obviously not.  In any case, nobody would comment on it, even if they did suspect some flaw in the posters character.
 Unless, that is, they could do so...
Subtly.
The best debates are the ones in which I'm proven wrong.  Then I've learned something.

Offline jason

• Frequent Poster
We need your help!
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2007, 08:43:53 PM »
Quote from: "stickman"
 Except, perhaps, what it might make people think about you.  What it might say about your personality.
 Nah, I take that back.
 Imagining that you could tell something about someones personality based on a quirk in their posting style?
 Obviously not.  In any case, nobody would comment on it, even if they did suspect some flaw in the posters character.
Subtly.

Very nice. :)
quot;Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick

Offline LaPalida

• Frequent Poster
  • To thy own self be true.
We need your help!
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2007, 11:43:17 PM »

I'll show you a bolded enlarged character!  :P
"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure."
- Mark Twain

Offline LaPalida

• Frequent Poster
We need your help!
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2007, 11:44:40 PM »
Allright... I offer my feminine wiles and graphic design skillz. Any takers?
- Mark Twain

Offline LaPalida

• Frequent Poster
We need your help!
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2007, 11:53:13 PM »
http://www.axe.ca/v4.1/home.html?language=english

As a first marketing suggestion... this is what SGU really needs!
- Mark Twain

Offline Skad

• Off to a Start
We need your help!
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2007, 01:00:10 AM »
 Nah, I take that back.
Subtly.

I don't mind being mocked
Doing something different isn’t bad
It was only to make the seperation of ideas easier
Out of respect for all I won't do it again
This will be the last BIG letter post
So no hard feelings

:P
quot;Catholic school makes the best atheist’s" - Julia Sweeney

Offline stickman

• Stopped Going Outside
We need your help!
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2007, 01:23:26 AM »
Quote from: "Skad"

I don't mind being mocked
Doing something different isn’t bad
It was only to make the seperation of ideas easier
Out of respect for all I won't do it again
This will be the last BIG letter post
So no hard feelings

:P

Oh, don't stop on our account.  Individuality is a good thing.  Of course, some idiots WILL rag on you occasionally for it, but it's all meant in fun.  Sorry if it came off harsh, I meant no offense.

Welcome to the board!
The best debates are the ones in which I'm proven wrong.  Then I've learned something.

Offline jason

• Frequent Poster
We need your help!
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2007, 02:16:58 AM »
Oh, don't stop on our account.  Individuality is a good thing.  Of course, some idiots WILL rag on you occasionally for it, but it's all meant in fun.  Sorry if it came off harsh, I meant no offense.

Welcome to the board!

Hey, watch who else you are tarring with the idiot brush, Mr Stickman. :)

Let me echo his welcoming sentiments, Skad. From your posts so far, you've got some good stuff to say; the unique presentation simply seemed (to me) to require a brief comment.

Offline IRON MAN

• Well Established
    • http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/member.php?u=1292
We need your help!
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2007, 05:05:06 AM »
Okay Jay, I'm totally stoked about this, and I was thinking along exactly the same lines, which is why my on Youtube was made as if it was a promotional ad.

That was just an example however, because there are obviously copyright issues, and even if they are never contested, it still doesn't look good to be selling the SGU in a non-kosher manner.  I was planning on taking that down, or making it a private video actually.  I just wanted a convenient place for people on the boards to get it for a while.

As I understand it, Joe Shmoe is our resident marketing guru so I'd take his advice on these ideas very seriously.

One idea of mine is to use the Got Science? idea of cosmicvagabond's as  the basis for a viral video - possibly a series, and even entire campaign.  For starters, people actually seek out the terms Got Milk? because those ads are funny, so we could use the parallel to make the video hit on more searches.

Also we can make a statement about particular pseudosciences.  So my original idea was to have a hospital patient dying in his bed while a Therapeutic Touch practitioner waves her hands above him.  The ECG flat-lines as the TT practitioner stands there looking useless and lame.  Steve confidently walks in with a defibrillator and THUMP! brings the guy back to life.  He turns, smiles wryly at the camera as the ECG starts beeping away normally.  The screen fades to black with the words, "Got Science?"

Then follows up with the SGU logo and website.

Although it has been suggested that this concept has been done to death, I think there would be several advantages:

1.  The phrase "Got Milk?" is well established in the culture and the underlying joke and implication is already understood.

2.  The ad would look like a positive commentary on whatever pseudoscience it was depicting, right until the end when it fails to work.  This would suck in more of the credulous people and make them watch it - they probably wouldn't if it were obviously skeptical.

3.  This would justify using metatags like "Therapeutic Touch", which would dragnet people searching for information on those specific topics.  We might catch people who are considering engaging in quackery before the fact, or prior to being convinced.

4.  Science gets to save the day for once - and if it's on TV - it must be true.

5.  It's not a complicated idea.  We know the underlying concept works.  Since none of us are necessarily professionals in the specific areas necessary for production - it might be better to stick with a solid idea.  That way even if the production is a little rough around the edges - it shouldn't come off too bad.

My second idea for a campaign was quite a simple one:

We get Steve - since he looks so straight laced and is the figurehead of the podcast - to actually pose for this kind of a photo with some of our gorgeous skepchicks.

Then run this slogan:

Skepticism - come for the logic, stay for the chicks.
www.theskepticsguide.org

A campaign with sex appeal - how could you go wrong?

I think some skeptical girls out there would love the idea, and we avoid copyright issues.  We could do videos that were really over the top - you know - like have Steve in his lab coat doing something really geeky while girls in bikinis frolic near him in a swimming pool, give him a massage - you know whatever.

That's got to get guys at least curious about skepticism.  And it's kind of a self-deprecating humour on some level too, which would defuse the idea that skeptics are somehow pretentious.  And it really does reflect the fun aspect of the podcast - and how it is serious and fun at the same time.

I'd love to work out something cool for the whole cast to do individually - like I can imagine making a Perry video - have him doing something hilarious or out of character.

Ha.  I just thought have him getting abducted by aliens and making smart-arse remarks to them or something.

I personally think that skepticism and free-thinking is such a positive thing in my life, and I'd love to sell that - in some way on the same level that that bitch on The Secret sells her bullshit philosophy on life - except ours is REAL.  

This is what I personally think we need to be doing to sell the sizzle of skepticism.  It's there, it's real.  The podcast is fun, you guys are not stone faced automatons, and neither are your listeners - it would be awesome to get that across.

I think we can really play up the supernatural angle to our own advantage too - you know like UFOs and fanciful things make great imagery.  This is kind of what I was going for with these.

It would be good to suck everyone in with popular sci-fi/fantasy, and then have the skeptics emerging victorious at the end in a comical way.
i]I suck at archaic languages.  I don't understand Latin et al.[/i]

Offline Jay

• SGU Panel Member
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
We need your help!
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2007, 09:36:18 AM »
Great ideas IM.  What we should plan a meeting in the chat room or do a skype meeting to brain storm.  I have a lot of idea already for the new website.  I think we have a lot of creative people here and even though most of you don’t have Photoshop skills or web skills everyone should post their ideas.

Joe and IM, when is a good time?
I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. - Ford Prefect  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Offline IRON MAN

• Well Established
    • http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/member.php?u=1292
We need your help!
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2007, 11:43:34 PM »
Well I'm in the chatroom most of the time at the moment.  I'm keeping the room open while Mike is in Florida.

You might have to work out a time with Joe, but he's in there fairly often, and around this time of day.  He's in there now for example, and has been for several hours, (look at the time of this post for your local time).

If you want to talk privately we can use skype or set up another stickam room for that purpose easily enough.
i]I suck at archaic languages.  I don't understand Latin et al.[/i]