Author Topic: Year-End Wrap Up 2010  (Read 8126 times)

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is a grammar troll!
Re: Year-End Wrap Up 2010
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2010, 10:42:07 AM »
Yeah I'd say best guest was geo.
Best skeptic goes to the Australian skeptics overall for power bands the Australian vaccination work and organizing a TAM Australia and hosting the SGU.
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline MisterMarc

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The universe seems ...merely indifferent.
    • Schlock Treatment
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2010, 11:11:17 AM »
Best quote:
(ep. #250) Jay: (about Stephen Hawking) Didn't he send his DNA into space?
Rebecca:  What? Do you think he jerked off into a cup or something?
Steve:  Talk about panspermia!

Second this! :D

Offline chionactis

• moonlit leaves rustling, empty parking lot, tiny astronaut above the mountainside
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2010, 11:24:43 AM »
In episode 240, Rebecca joked about how she would start her own podcast dedicated to Jay expressing disbelief. The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to know what it would sound like. So I went through all of the "Science or Fiction" segments from 2010, cut out Jay's expressions of disbelief, and put them all together.

With the exception of the first clip and the last clip, these are all in chronological order.

http://www.youtube.com/v/BSh-IavxLZA

There are a few things that aren't technically disbelief, but I thought they were funny.
"Sometimes I think it's all one big affectation. The forty jars, each holding its thief, draw closer to me, trying to eavesdrop." John Ashbery

"And beware the casual assumption of moral superiority, or that everyone who disagrees with you is evil. That is the path to fanaticism." Dr. Steven Novella

Offline Skulker

• Mafia Pimp
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • I survived both forum crashes of 2014!
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2010, 11:34:44 AM »
In episode 240, Rebecca joked about how she would start her own podcast dedicated to Jay expressing disbelief. The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to know what it would sound like. So I went through all of the "Science or Fiction" segments from 2010, cut out Jay's expressions of disbelief, and put them all together.

With the exception of the first clip and the last clip, these are all in chronological order.

There are a few things that aren't technically disbelief, but I thought they were funny.
Well done. Kudos to you.  :laugh: I hope they play this on the wrap up show.

Typo
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 12:56:58 PM by Skulker »
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
- Larry Hardiman

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is a grammar troll!
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2010, 11:40:54 AM »
Well maybe an exert. It was awesome though.
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline MisterMarc

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The universe seems ...merely indifferent.
    • Schlock Treatment
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2010, 12:07:07 PM »

This. Is.  Awesome! Needs a music bed of "Unbelievable," though.  :D

Offline Esther Margaret

• Brand New
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2010, 07:27:39 PM »
I wish my memory was good enough to remember specific quotes or moments.

best interview: Daniel Wilson where they discussed robots
skeptic of the year: Simon Singh
jackass: British Chiropractic Association
best who's that noisy: the laughing hyenas

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2010, 09:10:36 PM »

That was fucking awesome. }|<oD

Also I like your avatar, or rather where it came from.
Mooohn!

Offline chionactis

• moonlit leaves rustling, empty parking lot, tiny astronaut above the mountainside
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2010, 10:01:24 PM »
I'm glad you guys like it.  :)

@werecow: I was pleasantly surprised by that movie. It has quickly become one of my favorites.
"Sometimes I think it's all one big affectation. The forty jars, each holding its thief, draw closer to me, trying to eavesdrop." John Ashbery

"And beware the casual assumption of moral superiority, or that everyone who disagrees with you is evil. That is the path to fanaticism." Dr. Steven Novella

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2010, 10:36:15 PM »
@werecow: I was pleasantly surprised by that movie. It has quickly become one of my favorites.

Same here.
Mooohn!

Offline Jay

• SGU Panel Member
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2011, 11:59:43 AM »
Loved it...thanks for making it  :laugh:
I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. - Ford Prefect  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Offline thr4sh3ld

• Brand New
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
chionactis ; is it OK if I share this with my facebook friends?  It's really excellent : )

Offline chionactis

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2011, 09:07:47 AM »
I'm glad you enjoyed it, Jay.  :)

I replied to your PM, thr4sh3ld. I don't mind at all if you share it. Hopefully it will prompt some people to check out the SGU. Btw, the excellent version that was used in the podcast, with musical accompaniment, was made by someone else independently of mine. Neither of us knew the other was making it. You probably already knew that, but I just wanted to make it clear.