Author Topic: A tool to link to woo woo  (Read 1207 times)

Offline codefocus

• Brand New
    • DoNotLink.com
A tool to link to woo woo
« on: December 19, 2010, 03:33:37 PM »
Hey guys (and girls!),

Over the past few years, I have gradually become more interested in skepticism. Lately I've not been content just reading articles and listening to podcasts anymore, and actually want to contribute something of value to other skeptics.

I noticed that quite often, we link to religious nuts, woo and other sites that shouldn't get any credibility. But whenever you link to a website, woo or otherwise, search engines see that as a "vote" and improve that site's rank.

Yesterday I launched a site that allows you to link to woo without the search engine benefit that usually comes with it:

www.donotlink.com

It passively and actively blocks search engine bots from finding out what the destination url is.

I'd love to know what you think :)

Offline Jim S

• I demand that you shoot me now!
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: A tool to link to woo woo
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 03:44:12 PM »
That's pretty cool.  I like it.   Now, how do you achieve widespread use? 
A bit of dumb, On a flea, On the wing, On the fly, On the frog, On the bump, On the log, In the hole, In the middle of the sea of awesome.

Offline codefocus

• Brand New
    • DoNotLink.com
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 04:04:56 PM »
Thanks, Jim. Glad you like it!

It would be great if this actually becomes a staple of the skeptic community, but to be honest I haven't thought that far ahead.

I have posted this on Reddit's /r/skeptic and now here on the SGU forums, and I'm doing a bit of advertising on Facebook (FSM, they're expensive!) but I'm not Richy McMoneypants so I hope word of mouth will do its thing ;)

Offline Jim S

• I demand that you shoot me now!
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 04:46:14 PM »
Get people like Rebecca to tweet it. 
A bit of dumb, On a flea, On the wing, On the fly, On the frog, On the bump, On the log, In the hole, In the middle of the sea of awesome.

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 08:24:39 PM »
Any chance of making this an add-on?

Right-click on a link, click on "donotlink link", and a donotlink link is generated and copied into the clipboard.

If you could do this, please disable links to the "Let Me Google That For You" website.

http://www.donotlink.com/qQ
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 08:38:52 PM »
Services like this already exist:

http://anonym.to/

Offline codefocus

• Brand New
    • DoNotLink.com
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 09:36:42 PM »
Services like this already exist:

http://anonym.to/
What anonym.to does is mask the referring site, so that the owner of the site that is linked to does not know where the traffic is coming from.
It does not do anything to diminish the search engine value of the link.

Donotlink.com makes sure that the link provides no search engine value for the linked-to site. A bonus side effect of this is that it also masks the referring site like anonym.to does, but that is not the main goal.

edit:
I've received a few of these comments, saying donotlink is similar to fun.ly and backupurl.com.
Maybe I should write a little blurb on the main page explaining what donotlink is and what it isn't?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 09:40:08 PM by codefocus »

personate-rain