Author Topic: John of God on CNN with Dr Gupta  (Read 6328 times)

Offline fly44d

• Off to a Start
  • Tom Hail
    • A Place for Tom to Rant
John of God on CNN with Dr Gupta
« on: December 23, 2010, 07:00:24 AM »
I couldn't believe what I was seeing when CNN's Dr Gupta interviews  the two people Oprah sent to "investigate"  John of God in Brazil.  They were sad excuses for investigators, this guy has been around for years and they went to Brazil with nothing?  They didn't even Google him prior to leaving?  No sign of it from this interview.  Gupta sounded skeptical but not enough and didn't he have anyone investigate and give him some more pointed questions to ask?  Had he never looked into him and found Randi's thoughts on the subject?  It seemed to me he wanted to but it didn't fit the credulous theme of the show.  Big mystery to report!  Hope for the sick!  Fuck me.
John Of God "THE MIRACLE MAN"

Offline DeanMorrison

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Music by Dean Morrison
Re: John of God on CNN with Dr Gupta
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 08:26:48 AM »
Just.. wow. Sad.

Offline snakeman

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 10:27:44 AM »
"maybe 100 years from now energy healing will be one of the forefronts of medicine...."   :roflolmao: :vomit:

That's just such a sad piece in so many ways.

Offline JoelWhy

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Reptilian infiltrator
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 10:45:26 AM »
This is f*ing sickening.  This isn't the first time I've seen Dr. Gupta demonstrate his lack of critical thinking (go find his stories on how near-death-experiences can't be explained by science).  But, this is a new low.  This type of reporting leads to people dying -- period.
"I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Offline Halleyscomet

• But I'm feeling much better now...
  • And then, one day, at Bible Camp...
    • My Pointless Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 10:47:50 AM »
Well, it's nice to know Dr Gupta is an ignorant retard incapable of even basic investigation int obvious, transparent quackery and con jobs. I always appreciate it when worthless wastes of skin reveal themselves. I can now write off Dr Gupta as "that fucktard who though 'John of God' might be real."

Offline pulsetsar

• Off to a Start
  • physician by day, astronomer by night, skeptic ATC
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 10:50:04 AM »
Another example of science based medicine for some reason pandering to these alterantive modalities without any evidence behind them. Dr. Gupta should know better - he was trained as a Neurosurgeon!
Carpe Noctem!

A. Krishna Rao, MD

Offline DeanMorrison

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Music by Dean Morrison
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 10:52:42 AM »
This is the kind of thing that calls for skeptics to flood CNN with a massive snail mail and email campaign.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 10:58:47 AM by DeanMorrison »

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 10:56:27 AM »
Well, it's nice to know Dr Gupta is an ignorant retard incapable of even basic investigation int obvious, transparent quackery and con jobs. I always appreciate it when worthless wastes of skin reveal themselves. I can now write off Dr Gupta as "that fucktard who though 'John of God' might be real."

Remember how close Dr. Gupta was to being Surgeon General? Remember that?

Bullet = Dodged.
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline Halleyscomet

• My Pointless Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 11:34:23 AM »
This is the kind of thing that calls for skeptics to flood CNN with a massive snail mail and email campaign.

I wrote CNN about this:

http://blog.matthewmiller.net/2010/12/writing-poison-pen-letter-to-cnn.html

You can too:

http://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form5.html?10

I also added this controversy to his Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanjay_Gupta#Criticism_of_reporting

Update:

And John of God's Wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo%C3%A3o_de_Deus_%28medium%29#CNN_Coverage
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 11:48:13 AM by Halleyscomet/Wakefield »

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 11:41:24 AM »
My submission:

Dr. Gupta's segment on "John of God" was RIDICULOUS. How can a major news network (or the ghost of a major news network, as CNN now surely is) live with itself if it lets one of its premier personalities deliver such new-age religious mumbo-jumbo? The con that quacks like "John of God" run is deadly. It doesn't matter of John of God allegedly tells his victims to continue seeing their doctors, in many cases they probably don't because they're so taken in by his nonsense that they think they're cured. Pyschic surgery is a fraud. Don't you guys have Google? Can't you do the barest minimum of background research into your topics before credulously reporting whatever some quack and some crank from Oprah magazine report? Have you no integrity left?
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline JoelWhy

• Reptilian infiltrator
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 12:46:40 PM »

Done!

I was appalled to see Dr. Gupta's uncritical report on "John of God". 
John is a con man using pseudoscience and well-known carny tricks to dupe sick people into handing over their cash.  (No, John doesn't charge for his "faith healing", but he DOES charge for the herbs he then 'prescribes' to those very same patients!)

Gupta's guests are not qualified to seriously examine the work (i.e. scam) being done by John.  You should have had an experienced magician examine the evidence -- someone who is trained to ferret out sleight-of-hand and related tricks.

Make no mistake about it -- Gupta's reporting now has a body-count associated with it.  Seriously ill people will forgo proven treatments to seek out a magical cure doled out by a professional scam artist.  Shame on you, Dr. Gupta!
"I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 01:13:56 PM »

Bullet = Dodged.

I do wonder if Gupta's lack os skepticism is totally under his control, being a TV doctor and all.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline MountainManPan

• Banned
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 06:04:31 PM »
Dr. Gupta is hot, though.

Offline Halleyscomet

• My Pointless Blog
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 08:23:58 PM »

Bullet = Dodged.

I do wonder if Gupta's lack os skepticism is totally under his control, being a TV doctor and all.

Whatever control he lacks he could regain by leaving television if he chose to do so. Whatever his motivation, he has the option to NOT whore himself out to pimp a witch doctor and yet he chose to do so. I have no sympathy for the man.

Offline Anders

• Deleted
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 02:22:42 AM »
Another example of science based medicine for some reason pandering to these alterantive modalities without any evidence behind them. Dr. Gupta should know better - he was trained as a Neurosurgeon!

So's Michael Egnore.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin