Author Topic: Episode #287  (Read 14982 times)

Offline Decorticate

• Brand New
Re: Episode #287
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2011, 10:11:48 AM »
Here is a demo for Gorilla Glass I saw a few days ago while I was looking at new phones. The rumor is that this product will be used in the next generation of Android phones. Really cool!
http://www.androidcentral.com/hands-gorilla-glass-ces

Offline fchoquette

• Off to a Start
Could Andrew Wakefield be associated with Scientology?
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2011, 10:55:20 AM »
I saw this YouTube video that makes the following claim:

"Andrew Wakefileld served as the executive director of "Thoughtful house Center for Children", a center for the study of autism in Austin Texas. Wakefield resigned from Thoughtful House in Feb. 2010."
Celebrity supporter Kelly Preston (Wife of John Travolta, both high profile Scientologists), are the largest celebrity supporters of Thoughtful House.

Do some of you here know more about this?  Can anybody find out who donates to Thoughtful house?  Does anybody know if Wakefield has taken scientology courses in the past?

Scientologists are often involved in health case scams (besides scientology procedures like the Purification Rundown which uses extremely high doses of niacin.

Remember this: "If it's weird, Scientology is involved!"

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
  • Dumb, in a pocket, and proud of it.
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2011, 11:34:37 AM »
Unless I've misread the article, the ultra strong/tough "glass" is not a glass in the usual sense (like you would use on the front of a phone), but an amorphous metal alloy. It is a glass in the technical sense of having no crystal structure, but it's not what we would normally mean by the word.

Also, isn't the assertion that it is the material with the highest combined strength and toughness of any material meaningless? How did they determine this? Did they add the strength and toughness of various materials (diamond, steel, graphene, etc.) together? Are strength and toughness even measured in the same units?

I'd like to read an article that describes this material in terms which have not had the meaning sucked out of them by journalists.
I'm a skeptic. Not a "skepdude". Not a "man skeptic". Just a skeptic.

Offline wolpertinger

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2011, 12:44:27 PM »
Here is a demo for Gorilla Glass I saw a few days ago while I was looking at new phones. The rumor is that this product will be used in the next generation of Android phones. Really cool!
http://www.androidcentral.com/hands-gorilla-glass-ces

Well, more like the last generation, I recently got myself a Motorola Defy which is definitely pre CES mid range material.

Gorilla glass is pretty good at absorbing shock ( I recall a review of somebody attacking it with a knife) but don't try it on asphalt.

Remember kids, glass is rarely rugged.

Offline Parrot

• Well Established
    • The Dumbasses Guide To Knowledge
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2011, 01:17:57 PM »
How about we just call it Transparent Aluminum?

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
  • Dumb, in a pocket, and proud of it.
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2011, 02:47:29 PM »

Because it isn't transparent?
I'm a skeptic. Not a "skepdude". Not a "man skeptic". Just a skeptic.

Offline swan

• Off to a Start
  • Whatever happened to the Principle of Charity?
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2011, 04:45:49 PM »

Because it isn't transparent?

It's a Star Trek reference: Transparent Aluminum. I'm surprised that none of the Rogues thought of it at the time.

Offline Beep Boop Boop

• Seasoned Contributor
  • I'm no Mad_Scientist_Working. I'm a robot. Beep
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2011, 04:57:35 PM »
Quote from: phil plait
Don't publish crap science.

Sound advice. Got any foolproof method for recognizing crap science?
Hahah... Irony at its finest.  The pro-vaccination website Phil has been advertising makes the same  stupid mistake that antivaxers do.  I've been meaning to point it out but there is no aluminum in vaccines.  If they can make the distinction between Thimersol and elemental mercury they can make the distinction between aluminum salt and aluminum. [joke] So yeah Phil.  You talk big but apparently you can't hold yourself up to the same standards.[/joke]
Do some of you here know more about this?  Can anybody find out who donates to Thoughtful house?  Does anybody know if Wakefield has taken scientology courses in the past?

Scientologists are often involved in health case scams (besides scientology procedures like the Purification Rundown which uses extremely high doses of niacin.
I thought the biggest supporter was one of the family members who owns Johnson and Johnson.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 05:08:17 PM by Beep Boop Boop »

Offline henjak

• Off to a Start
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2011, 08:45:31 PM »
Phil was really good in this episode! Love the show. Thank you

Offline Lyk

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2011, 08:46:38 PM »
WTN: Rubber Johnny by Aphex Twin

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2011, 11:28:17 PM »
just heard Science or Fiction.

does anyone remember the CSI episode of Caustic Soda?
didn't they say on that ep that everything used in CSI is always _real_ technology, it just may not be equipment that is available to every single forensic in the country?

In one of the few episodes I saw one of the guys is using a Draeger to sample for a gas. He's waving it around and it's clicking like a Geiger counter! WTF? The Draeger is a little handheld bellows that sucks air through a tube. Discoloration in the tube indicates the partial pressure of the gas being tested. It's real technology but it doesn't fucking click.

lol. so they didn't lie about what it is capable of, they just made it more action-packed for the audience?
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2011, 12:11:50 AM »
Yeah. The bellows expand back out very slowly. It takes about 30 seconds to expand back out before you can squeeze it again and, depending on the gas you are testing for, each tube requires 10-20 squeezes.
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

Offline Hanes

• Misanthrope.
  • So it goes.
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2011, 02:32:49 AM »
A great episode, much thanks to all the rogues and Phil.  :lovewcc:

Offline Chef Fincher

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2011, 01:32:21 PM »
Good job lyk, re:"Who's that Noisy" that is who I think it is.  "rubber Johnny:

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2011, 02:04:09 PM »
I AM NOT MADE OF RUBBER

Great episode as always. In fact, wasn't this, like, the first "normal" one in like 2 months? It feels like it; previous eps had the year in review, the prediction episode, the crazy Aussies and evil Canadian hordes... yes, I am sticking to this hypothesis.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson