Author Topic: Evolution website  (Read 1000 times)

Offline gs

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • SkepticEvents.com
Evolution website
« on: January 22, 2011, 03:20:48 PM »
Hey SGU'ers...

I'm kind of in a pickle right now.  heres the situation... 

I own a website with webhosting/databases/etc/everything to create a well functioning website, it's at http://www.evolutiondatabase.com.  I started this project with the intent of bringing clear and informative detail about different topics which evolve (e.g. Biology/The universe/etc).  I was hoping to create a website used for quick reference and as a teaching tool for the evolution of different topics.  I have created a design and am willing to code with PHP whatever is necessary to finish the project.  If anyone is interested in teaming up to write content for this i would be more than happy to speak with you.  This project is not for profit, though, because i want it to focus on being more of an informative website rather than anything else.  Although in the future, if we can put an advertisement on the site later or anything else to generate income, i would split the income with whoever helps create it.  I'm not interested in any money I would just like to help teach people about Evolution and evolutionary theories.

I don't feel that I know enough about the topic to adequately teach the topics in detail so I'm hoping someone out there does.  If not I may just give up the project altogether so hopefully someone has some spare time with (teaching) knowledge in the evolution of biology/the universe/the earth (my three topics so far).

below are some screenshots of the design i have so far.   thanks!

this is the under construction page now

this is the news/homepage

this is the evolution of the universe page

this is the evolution of biology page

this is the evolution of the earth page

this is the footer for every page on the website

I understand the pages would cover a lot of information but thats not necessarily a bad thing, just a hurdle.  please let me know if you are interested or if you could possibly contribute.  im just strictly looking for content writers.  i can handle all of the coding and imaging.  if you have any suggestions or constructive criticism for the website i'm really interested in hearing those, too.  thanks

Offline neurotraveller

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Faith is believin in what you know aint so!-Twain
    • Meanwhile, Back In Reality Blog
Re: Evolution website
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 10:45:16 PM »
I'd be more than happy to contribute. Shoot me an email at neurotraveller.philosophies@gmail.com
Neuro

"I know of no society in human history that ever suffered because its people became too desirous of evidence in support of their core beliefs." - Sam Harris

Offline StevesWeb

• Poster Pesters Pastors
  • Seasoned Contributor
    • Ain't No God
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 10:53:04 PM »
Should you find your present web hosting arrangement unsatisfactory please PM me and we can discuss hosting it here on this server under the Skeptic Hosting umbrella.
Just say NO to ridiculous ancient superstitions used to justify bigotry and intolerance

Offline TheLostVertex

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 06:04:18 PM »
I dont like the design, and I dont think its suitable for your stated purpose. If you want i to be for educational purposes you should strive for very sleek and minimal design with function being its primary purpose. For this you need to start out with the content you will have, and how it will be organized. Do you have software in mind, or were you planning on designing your own(a large undertaking for a large project)? What are you going to do about quality control if this is for education?

Im sure there are lots of people around that would be willing to help, especially from wiki crowds, and talk origins and what not. However I dont think you have made your plan very clear.

Offline gs

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • SkepticEvents.com
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 06:35:48 PM »
I dont like the design, and I dont think its suitable for your stated purpose. If you want i to be for educational purposes you should strive for very sleek and minimal design with function being its primary purpose. For this you need to start out with the content you will have, and how it will be organized. Do you have software in mind, or were you planning on designing your own(a large undertaking for a large project)? What are you going to do about quality control if this is for education?

Im sure there are lots of people around that would be willing to help, especially from wiki crowds, and talk origins and what not. However I dont think you have made your plan very clear.
Thanks for your critique, but I  have to disagree.  Are you implying that all information-based websites have to be simplistic and minimalistic?  I'm not sure what your point is regarding that.  i dont think thats in the definition of an educational/informative website at all.  sure, wiki-like (which obviously are informative) websites are really slim and bare-bone but im not going for the wiki feel.  I cant think of any reason why an educational and informative website cant be graphic and well, colorful, for lack of a better word. 

If you present the information in an easy to read, easy to find, easy to follow way, it has the same effect.

I'm really hoping you're right about lots of people willing to help.  thats who i'm looking for..

I'd be more than happy to contribute. Shoot me an email at neurotraveller.philosophies@gmail.com
Thanks so much Neurotraveller, I hope soon i will start working on this project and I'm going to keep you in my rolodex.  I REALLY appreciate your offer for help. 

Should you find your present web hosting arrangement unsatisfactory please PM me and we can discuss hosting it here on this server under the Skeptic Hosting umbrella.
Thanks a lot Steve.  i appreciate that.

personate-rain