Author Topic: (Elephant 6 ) Nuetral Milk Hotel, and its offshoots  (Read 1373 times)

Offline Chef Fincher

• Not Enough Spare Time
(Elephant 6 ) Nuetral Milk Hotel, and its offshoots
« on: February 03, 2011, 10:06:15 AM »
I was curious to see if anyone on the forums is a fan of Nuetral Milk hotel and if so what do you think of the bands members had afterwards?   I have "The Music Tapes" with Julian Koster is really good in my opinion, and for an experimental project it seems fairly well thought out.  Most times when I hear an experimental album it sounds as if they recorded in one shot in a garage while tripping on mushrooms.

Major Organ and the Adding Machine- the elephant supergroup just didn't work for me.  I didn't like the sound, I guess it just sounded too experimental and I'm far beyond the age where if music sounds weird I automatically think its cool, underground and hip. I also didn't care for the juvenile Double entendre in the name. (at least what I infer is a double entendre)

Offline TalkingBook

• Well Established
  • Superstition ain't the way...
Re: (Elephant 6 ) Nuetral Milk Hotel, and its offshoots
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 11:39:32 AM »
I'm sure Neutral Milk (that's one of our skeptical brethren) will be along shortly to set the record straight.

I've actually barely listened to any Neutral Milk Hotel, but I did stumble upon The Olivia Tremor Control a few months ago, and wow, the whole Dusk at Cubist Castle is pretty awesome. The whole Elephant 6 collective has been on my "really need to check this out" list for quite some time.
"Truth gains more even by the errors of one who, with due study, and preparation, thinks for himself, than by the true opinions of those who only hold them because they do not suffer themselves to think." ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty (1859)

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 05:22:22 PM »
Who?

But seriously..

Olivia Tremor Control is amazing. My favorite album is actually Black Foliage: Animation Music Vol. 1.

Of Montreal has some great stuff. Some of it is weak, but they're so prolific that there's gonna be weak and strong albums. They're best (and one of my top 10 albums of all time) is Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? There's so much amazingly dark emotion in that album. He was going through a divorce at the time, and he really poured it all into the album. I've seen them live three times and their shows are always a blast. Lots of theatrics and crazy things going on on stage. My friend went with me to a show (he liked their albums but had no idea what their live show was like) as we walked out he said "I had no idea it would be so gay." He meant it affectionately as much as he meant it offensively.

Elf Power sucks. Whiny and uninteresting.

Beulah is OK. Pretty standard indie-pop. Same with Apples in Stereo although I like Beulah better.

I've never heard Major Organ, but I have a feeling I wouldn't be terribly interested.

I'll check out The Music Tapes.

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 05:29:57 PM »
This all sounds great. Thanks for the recommendations (Animation music? Oh I gotta pick that up).

I like NMH and Of Montreal, but I didn't know they were connected somehow.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 05:33:34 PM »
This all sounds great. Thanks for the recommendations (Animation music? Oh I gotta pick that up).

I like NMH and Of Montreal, but I didn't know they were connected somehow.

I don't think I'm overstating it if I say that OTC is mind-blowing.

Offline Chef Fincher

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 06:00:22 PM »
I've never heard Major Organ, but I have a feeling I wouldn't be terribly interested.

I might try to listen again, but I doubt I'll change my mind.  Jeff Magnum had a great thing going with Neutral Milk,  Major Organ just seemed pompous.   It reminds me of the "Community" episode where Abed becomes Christ like and makes the most pretentious self serving movie of all time.

Of Montreal is good, I have a few of there.

I'll have to check out OTC, thanks for the recomendations

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 06:09:33 PM »
For OTC you have to listen to full albums. The songs don't work individually. You'll see whatni mean when you check it out.

Offline TalkingBook

• Well Established
  • Superstition ain't the way...
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 06:20:11 PM »
Of Montreal has some great stuff. Some of it is weak, but they're so prolific that there's gonna be weak and strong albums. They're best (and one of my top 10 albums of all time) is Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? There's so much amazingly dark emotion in that album. He was going through a divorce at the time, and he really poured it all into the album. I've seen them live three times and their shows are always a blast. Lots of theatrics and crazy things going on on stage. My friend went with me to a show (he liked their albums but had no idea what their live show was like) as we walked out he said "I had no idea it would be so gay." He meant it affectionately as much as he meant it offensively.

Hmm, I didn't realize Of Montreal was connected with Elephant 6. Hissing Fauna is one my favorite albums of the last five years, zoning out to The Past is a Grotesque Animal was basically my favorite pastime during the winter after it came out. Unfortunately I've never gotten to see them/him live. Had the chance to see them when my band played at SXSW in 2007, but somehow I missed it – just looked at the wrong time or something. Still mad about that.
"Truth gains more even by the errors of one who, with due study, and preparation, thinks for himself, than by the true opinions of those who only hold them because they do not suffer themselves to think." ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty (1859)

Offline T.A.P.O.R.

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 06:17:22 PM »
I got into Neutral Milk via bands that has been compared to them vocally, namely The Weakerthans and The Mountain Goats.
This sort of thing has lead me to finds some excellent music!

I love Neutral Milk and did get into Beulah for a while, had no idea they were related though.

These records need to be listened to in their entirety IMO. Just like all the music I own.
Never could get into "singles".

Thanks for letting me know there's something else worth checking out.

personate-rain