Author Topic: Don't screw this up! New movie about Houdini and Doyle  (Read 727 times)

Offline zack kruse

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • Mystery Solved!
Don't screw this up! New movie about Houdini and Doyle
« on: February 10, 2011, 11:11:36 AM »
JMS Sells Screenplay Based On Lives Of Houdini And Doyle To Dreamworks
Submitted by Rich Johnston on February 9, 2011 – 4:23 pm (13) comments

The Hollywood Reporter reports that Joe Michael Straczynski’s screenplay Voices From the Dead has been bought by Dreamworks. The script is a thriller about the famed relationship between Harry Houdini and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and the argument over the supernatural that would shape their lives. Straczynski’s script sees them “teaming up with a psychic to solve a set of murders in 1920′s New York.”

Bleeding Cool understands from our sources that the script sold two days after being put on the market for a significant seven figure dollar sum.

The success of JMS’ Changeling couldn’t have hurt…

Source: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/02/09/jms-sells-screenplay-based-on-lives-of-houdini-and-doyle-to-dreamworks/

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here's hoping they don't screw it up, give it some absurd "twist", or otherwise imply that Houdini had doubts and maybe, just MAYBE the psychic is legit.

I WANT it to be great, but I am VERY nervous.  THe fact that it was bought by Dreamworks does not instill me with confidence.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
Re: Don't screw this up! New movie about Houdini and Doyle
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 11:16:43 AM »
This could be awesome, or horrible.  And I mean horrible in the "You just took Houdini and used his name to promote belief in the BS he spent years disproving!" sort of way.
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline zack kruse

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • Mystery Solved!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 11:17:07 AM »
This could be awesome, or horrible.  And I mean horrible in the "You just took Houdini and used his name to promote belief in the BS he spent years disproving!" sort of way.

Exactly.

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 03:36:04 PM »
The first hour of the movie should be Houdini exposing all the cheating he caught at seances.

Scene 1: A glow-in-the-dark trumpet is floating around a pitch black room. Houdini lights a match and reveals the medium got out of her knots and was walking around with the trumpet.
Scene 2: A glow-in-the-dark trumpet is floating around a pitch black room. Houdini lights a match and reveals the medium got out of her knots and was walking around with the trumpet.
Scene 3: A glow-in-the-dark trumpet is floating around a pitch black room. Houdini lights a match and reveals the medium got out of her knots and was walking around with the trumpet.
Scene 4: A glow-in-the-dark trumpet is floating around a pitch black room. Houdini lights a match and reveals the medium got out of her knots and was walking around with the trumpet.
Scene 5: A glow-in-the-dark trumpet is floating around a pitch black room. Houdini lights a match and reveals the medium got out of her knots and was walking around with the trumpet.
Scene 6: A glow-in-the-dark trumpet is floating around a pitch black room. Houdini lights a match and reveals the medium got out of her knots and was walking around with the trumpet.
Scene 7: A glow-in-the-dark trumpet is floating around a pitch black room. Houdini lights a match and reveals the medium got out of her knots and was walking around with the trumpet.
Scene 8: A glow-in-the-dark trumpet is floating around a pitch black room. Houdini lights a match and reveals the medium got out of her knots and was walking around with the trumpet.
Scene 9: A glow-in-the-dark trumpet is floating around a pitch black room. Houdini lights a match and reveals the medium got out of her knots and was walking around with the trumpet.
Scene 10: A glow-in-the-dark trumpet is floating around a pitch black room. Houdini lights a match and reveals the medium got out of her knots and was walking around with the trumpet.

Maybe after an hour of that it will sink into peoples' minds that mediums were, and always have been, frauds.
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

personate-rain