Author Topic: Need feedback on new hosting company  (Read 7605 times)

Offline Jay

• SGU Panel Member
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
Need feedback on new hosting company
« on: June 20, 2007, 07:04:18 AM »
As of last week I have finally moved the SGU site to a new host.  This change was needed due to the fact that the old host seemed to always have an issue with the server we were on.

Is anyone having access problems with the site now that we have moved?
I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. - Ford Prefect  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Offline heliocentricra

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 09:23:46 AM »
Works fine for me.

Offline Øyvind

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 09:50:11 AM »
No problem here.
"Some people say 'How can you live without knowing?' I do not know what they mean. I always live without knowing. That is easy. How you get to know is what I want to know." -- Richard Feynman

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science." -- Agatha Heterodyne

Offline Noah R. Miller

• Frequent Poster
    • http://NRMILLER.COM
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 10:13:19 AM »
Over the last few days there'd been a bunch of us who couldn't get on for a few hours, but that might have been when you were moving.
quot;There's only one thing that you can do to get away with the most extrodinary offenses, to morality and truth, just get yourself called reverend."
-Christopher Hitchens

Offline Paul Ganssle

• Objective Hitler
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 11:04:38 AM »
Quote from: "Noah R. Miller"
Over the last few days there'd been a bunch of us who couldn't get on for a few hours, but that might have been when you were moving.

If you are referring to the boards, that's Rebecca's thing.  The boards are hosted on Rebecca's site and the SGU site (which Jay runs) is separate.

Unless I am misunderstanding this and Jay is talking about a new server for the boards.
quot;if you looat the world and think there is a God nothin make sense but if you see it fro a naturalistivc perspectiove all the shti goin on is exactly what youd expect-"  -The Always Eloquent Richard Dawkins

Offline Noah R. Miller

• Frequent Poster
    • http://NRMILLER.COM
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 12:19:19 PM »
Quote from: "Paul Ganssle"
Quote from: "Noah R. Miller"

If you are referring to the boards, that's Rebecca's thing.  The boards are hosted on Rebecca's site and the SGU site (which Jay runs) is separate.

Unless I am misunderstanding this and Jay is talking about a new server for the boards.

Oh no I misunderstood. I thought they moved skepchick thing and he was refering to the board. I forget there is a real site sometimes... Itunes and quicklink to the boards makes me absent minded.

Damn the convienence.
quot;There's only one thing that you can do to get away with the most extrodinary offenses, to morality and truth, just get yourself called reverend."
-Christopher Hitchens

Offline chionactis

• moonlit leaves rustling, empty parking lot, tiny astronaut above the mountainside
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 11:45:35 PM »
I was unable to access the main page about 30 minutes ago.  The lack of access lasted for several minutes.  I didn't pay much attention to the error message I received.  I think it was "page cannot be displayed."  I'll make a note of what it says if it happens again.
"Sometimes I think it's all one big affectation. The forty jars, each holding its thief, draw closer to me, trying to eavesdrop." John Ashbery

"And beware the casual assumption of moral superiority, or that everyone who disagrees with you is evil. That is the path to fanaticism." Dr. Steven Novella

Offline Rudism

• rudism.com
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 01:11:57 PM »
I've seen this on occasion on some of the .asp pages:

Code: [Select]
Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'

System resource exceeded.

/includes/meta.asp, line 8

That one was from about.asp. The message usually goes away and the page starts working again if I try again after a couple minutes.

Offline IRON MAN

• Well Established
    • http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/member.php?u=1292
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 08:36:01 AM »
Jay, I have been unable to access the boards directly for a couple of weeks.  I don't know if this has anything to do with the changes you are instigating - since as has been pointed out - the SGU site is not necessarily the same thing, but I thought the timing suspicious.  

I've been using a proxy server in the meantime hoping the problem would be cleared up, but it's still no go.

My ISP is Telstra Bigpond.  Location:  Melbourne, Australia.

http://www.bigpond.com

I know Mickal was having problems a while back - he's in Brisbane, but haven't heard him complain lately.  And Jason mentioned on another thread that he has had no problems.

I have a dynamic IP address which I have changed a couple of times to see if it had any effect, but alas.
i]I suck at archaic languages.  I don't understand Latin et al.[/i]

Offline Jay

• SGU Panel Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 01:12:38 PM »
IM, by coincidence Rebecca also had a server upgrade that week.  I will forward her the link to this thread and let her know what's up.
I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. - Ford Prefect  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Offline Dave The Drummer

• Seasoned Contributor
  • The Antithesis
    • Dave The Drummer
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 12:09:53 PM »
I get problems too.
They seem to coincide with the weekend but I will record details of the next outage so there's some hard data.
Assuming there is another outage for me.
Reaching out to embrace the random, reaching out to embrace whatever may come.

Offline evirus

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 01:06:09 PM »
that probably explains why i am unable download any of the archived shows

Offline Season

• Off to a Start
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 08:49:56 PM »
I am unable to download not only the archived shows (either directly or from iTunes) but the latest show as well.  Please - I need my fix! :)
ci c'est l'empire de la mort.

Offline jdj

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 09:21:41 AM »
Quote from: "Season"
I am unable to download not only the archived shows (either directly or from iTunes) but the latest show as well.  Please - I need my fix! :)

There is a problem with LibSyn, the company where the MP3s are hosted. See this thread for a solution, until LibSyn fixes their problem.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Need feedback on new hosting company
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 12:46:36 PM »
Is anyone having access problems with the site now that we have moved?[/quote]

I can't download the latest podcast.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.