Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 94108 times)

Offline Kessdawg

• Well Established
Game of Thrones
« on: April 11, 2011, 02:55:13 PM »
Is anyone else pumped for this?

Trailers:
Iron Throne:

Fear and Blood:

First 15 minutes:
http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/production-diary/2011/4/3/exclusive-sneak-preview-watch-the-first-few-scenes-of-game-o.html
bellyfeel - Full emotional understanding. Blind, enthusiastic acceptance of a concept

Visit my Fiance's Etsy store.  Now on sale Gingerbread house kits!
http://www.etsy.com/listing/87699428/gingerbread-house-kit

Offline jaypee

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Astronaut Mike Dexter
Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 04:30:23 PM »
So I'd never heard of this fantasy series, but I'm pretty excited about the HBO series. I just hope they don't oversex it (as is their wont), because as much as I like boobs HBO overdoes it sometimes.
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline lukebourassa

• Well Established
    • My Twitter feed
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 04:34:25 PM »
Psyched for it.  Never read the books but I love discovering the quirks of a fantasy world.. and a world with indeterminate length seasons sounds amazing to me!
evolve.

"Everyone who disagrees with me is stupid." --Johnny Slick

Offline Ansalem

• Well Established
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 04:37:20 PM »
Looks pretty awesome. I've been meaning to read the books for years now but for some reason I never get around to it.

Offline Kessdawg

• Well Established
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 04:42:36 PM »
Psyched for it.  Never read the books but I love discovering the quirks of a fantasy world.. and a world with indeterminate length seasons sounds amazing to me!

Also: ICE ZOMBIES!!!! haha
bellyfeel - Full emotional understanding. Blind, enthusiastic acceptance of a concept

Online Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 07:09:41 PM »
Read the damn books!

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 09:06:18 PM »
Read the damn books!

This is my problem. Ive been meaning to read the books even before I heard about the show... Now I want to read the book even more so before I watch the show. But my finances are supposed to be being kept under control rather than spent on dozens of books (which is what will happen if I start ordering any)...
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Online Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 09:19:28 PM »
Read the damn books!

This is my problem. Ive been meaning to read the books even before I heard about the show... Now I want to read the book even more so before I watch the show. But my finances are supposed to be being kept under control rather than spent on dozens of books (which is what will happen if I start ordering any)...

They upped the price on the kindle version of Game of Thrones. Obviously they did this because of the show. When I got it it was 4.99, now it's 8.99.

In any case there are only 4 books (5 come July).

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 09:21:41 PM »
My daughter is super-hyped for this show, and has insisted I read the novel. But, I'm not sure I can handle yet another sword and sorcery fantasy.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Online Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 09:26:56 PM »
My daughter is super-hyped for this show, and has insisted I read the novel. But, I'm not sure I can handle yet another sword and sorcery fantasy.

It is easily my favorite series of all time. There is very very little sorcery. There's a bit of sword, but the focus of the novel is character development and politics. You wouldn't regret reading it.

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 09:35:22 PM »
When I got it it was 4.99, now it's 8.99.

Huh. Thats pretty stupid. I can get the paper version from Amazon UK for £5.49 delivered to australia (US$9.08 at the exchange rates my bank would give).

In any case there are only 4 books (5 come July).

Yeah... the problem is that I cant just stop at that. If I get Game of Thrones, then Ill want to get the other 5 as well (storm of swords is sold as 2 parts, afaik), and then the other 9 books on my wishlist on top of that. Even taking out Dance of Dragons and the other two on my list that are over £10, it still comes to £65 (~ US$107). If I include those 3 then its more like £100.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline Kessdawg

• Well Established
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 09:59:29 PM »

I really wouldn't call it sword-and-sorcery, I'd call it sword-and-complicated-characters-with-complicated-motivations-handling-complicated-relationships-including-but-not-limited-to-honor-treachery-sex-incest-oathtaking-oathbreaking-hotlesbianaction-ICEZOMBIES-and later on
(click to show/hide)

Any magic that happens is rare (like never or once per book), freaky and you usually end up reading that part a second time to figure out wtf just happened.  GRRM is twisted.

Offline Moloch

• Frequent Poster
  • sic semper molemannis
    • Friend of Reason Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 11:11:32 PM »
Very pumped!

Offline T.A.P.O.R.

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 01:37:54 AM »

Take that back!
If you only read one fantasy, make it this one.
(click to show/hide)

Online Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 09:01:43 AM »
I'm currently on book 3.  I'd been meaning to read them for a while but hadn't gotten around to it until I heard about the show and wanted to read them before the show came out.  Very hopeful.

Great series BTW.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking