Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 99840 times)

Offline DeepGlue

• Well Established
Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #1230 on: May 08, 2012, 12:05:41 AM »
I just realized there's no Jojen or Meera Reed :(

Offline IrishJazz

• serpent in a fool's paradise
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Possibly Possibilian
« Reply #1231 on: May 08, 2012, 01:16:59 AM »
Since their primary role was expository, at least to date in the books, they could easily be replaced by the wildling.  This may have downstream implications for the young Stark boy who isn't Bran.
"When a dirty fighter realizes he has no legs left, he aims low." - Jennifer McDonald, NYTimes book review

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #1232 on: May 08, 2012, 02:52:47 AM »
Since their primary role was expository, at least to date in the books, they could easily be replaced by the wildling.  This may have downstream implications for the young Stark boy who isn't Bran.

Agreed.  Easily replaced.

I've quite enjoyed the changes to the Qarth story as well.  I remember the frantic pace of "Clash Of Kings" coming to a screeching halt every time we cut back to Qarth.

I was really disturbed by the diversions from the books at first, but almost all the changes in the most recent episode have been for the better.   I really really like the actor who plays Tywin, and am happy to see more of him, and the Lannister backstory....
Well.  There it is.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #1233 on: May 08, 2012, 03:12:08 AM »

I'm not sure. It's fine as it is now, but the Reeds' full roles in the story are not yet known, especially since they are the obvious way to insert Howland Reed into the story, who should pop up after a while, being the only living person to know what happened at the Tower of Joy
(click to show/hide)
Tinkety tonk old fruit & down with the Nazis

Offline LumpyFish

• Off to a Start
« Reply #1234 on: May 08, 2012, 07:51:34 AM »
Taboos on nudity should be taboo.

Yes, that is your opinion.

Offline DeepGlue

• Well Established
« Reply #1235 on: May 08, 2012, 09:03:38 AM »

I'm not sure. It's fine as it is now, but the Reeds' full roles in the story are not yet known, especially since they are the obvious way to insert Howland Reed into the story, who should pop up after a while, being the only living person to know what happened at the Tower of Joy
(click to show/hide)

Now that I think about it... They aren't at all necessary to introduce their dad. Plus after reading book 5...
(click to show/hide)

Offline jaypee

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #1236 on: May 08, 2012, 09:13:23 AM »
The Hound is easily my favorite non-Tyrion character.
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline Strudel

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #1237 on: May 08, 2012, 09:52:08 AM »

(click to show/hide)
I was almost certain he'd ripped that rioters entrails out with his bare hands before I spotted the knife.

Offline Kessdawg

• Well Established
« Reply #1238 on: May 08, 2012, 10:01:45 AM »

Agreed.  Easily replaced.

I've quite enjoyed the changes to the Qarth story as well.  I remember the frantic pace of "Clash Of Kings" coming to a screeching halt every time we cut back to Qarth.

I was really disturbed by the diversions from the books at first, but almost all the changes in the most recent episode have been for the better.   I really really like the actor who plays Tywin, and am happy to see more of him, and the Lannister backstory....

Did you see Tywin in The Golden Child?  He plays the villain Sardo Numsie.
bellyfeel - Full emotional understanding. Blind, enthusiastic acceptance of a concept

Visit my Fiance's Etsy store.  Now on sale Gingerbread house kits!
http://www.etsy.com/listing/87699428/gingerbread-house-kit

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #1239 on: May 09, 2012, 02:54:51 AM »

(click to show/hide)
I was almost certain he'd ripped that rioters entrails out with his bare hands before I spotted the knife.

I thought he just used his often mentioned "Lobster" gauntlet....
Well.  There it is.

Offline Moloch

• Frequent Poster
  • sic semper molemannis
    • Friend of Reason Blog
« Reply #1240 on: May 09, 2012, 02:59:41 AM »

(click to show/hide)

I thought he just used his often mentioned "Lobster" gauntlet....

Not sure if you meant that sarcastically, but "lobster gauntlet" or "lobstered steel" refers to the overlapping plates of steel (like a lobsters exoskeleton) rather than any crazy claw design.

Lobster Gauntlet:

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #1241 on: May 09, 2012, 03:30:56 AM »
I know what Martin means by "lobstered" gauntlet.

I hadn't noticed the knife.  Just figured he ripped the guys guts out with his gauntleted hands.

Those gauntlets look like they'd do the trick.....and the Cleganes are sort of portrayed as close to superhumanly strong as anyone gets in "ASoIAF".
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 05:43:26 AM by stonesean »
Well.  There it is.

Offline Strudel

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #1242 on: May 09, 2012, 05:34:50 AM »
The hounds is just a big misunderstood teddy bear with a greatsword weighing more than a large child.

Offline Moloch

• Frequent Poster
  • sic semper molemannis
    • Friend of Reason Blog
« Reply #1243 on: May 09, 2012, 05:55:14 AM »
Those gauntlets look like they'd do the trick.....and the Cleganes are sort of portrayed as close to superhumanly strong as anyone gets in "ASoIAF".

Ah yep, I gotcha.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #1244 on: May 09, 2012, 06:49:23 AM »
Those "lobstered" gauntlets are as useful for disembowling as nipples on an breastplate.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

personate-rain
personate-rain