Author Topic: SGU Minecraft  (Read 21227 times)

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: SGU Minecraft
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2011, 05:36:35 PM »
Edit: Nevermind.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 05:39:39 PM by Sordid »

Offline True Disbeliever

• Off to a Start
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2011, 05:56:01 PM »
As I said, I have set something up although I'm not sure I have the settings 'right.'  If someone wants to test connecting to it at 24.71.245.242 it would be much appreciated.

I just tried to connect, and couldn't do so. If you are connected to the internet via a router, you most likely need to forward port 25565 to the machine running the server.

Hmm, I have in fact forwarded the port but perhaps firewalls are blocking it.  I will investigate.  Thanks!

Edit: Please try again.  24.71.245.242
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 05:58:20 PM by True Disbeliever »

Offline Rbeans

• Brand New
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2011, 08:58:41 PM »
Hi. I really love the idea of some SGU minecraft multiplayer action! I'm definitely willing to chip in in some way, although unable to host anything myself. Hopped onto leadcarbonate's server for a while this evening, thanks.  :)

Offline leadcarbonate

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Beacon of Bacon
    • Game.Dev.Life
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2011, 09:34:48 PM »
My pleasure.  We all toodled around Gargamel for a few hours and while some client issues were reported, the server kept up reasonably well.  Although it's still far from tested I started a fresh world for SGU fans to indulge in.  Go nuts!  Server info should now be in my signature.

Never mind the by-now-blown-up sign-age at the spawn point.
Whitelisting: http://tinyurl.com/sgumcwl
(I'll get to these in batches)

SGU Minecraft - sc12.servercraft.co:9347 (online - 9/24/2011)

Offline Blackmere

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2011, 12:10:14 AM »
I tried out leadcarbonite's server. Seemed pretty good. We should stress test it and see if it works for our needs.
Quote from: Beleth
When you're in a hole, the first rule is to Stop Digging.

Offline ben_etc

• Brand New
  • 120% Awesome! ...Wait, that can't be right.
    • I'm on the Twitter!
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2011, 01:50:19 AM »
Hey, leadcarbonate, what are the specs on the machine you're running the server on?

I tried out leadcarbonite's server. Seemed pretty good. We should stress test it and see if it works for our needs.

I agree, some stress testing will be an important part of figuring out specs for this thing. I noticed at the spawn point, signs pointed out that the machine is an actual computer used for work, so we should definitely get leadcarbonate's go-ahead before conducting it. As I mentioned before, I'd also be happy to run a stress test on my computer, either instead of or in addition to leadcarbonate's. Either way, we should get some sort of stress test done with as many players as we can find and figure out where the tipping point is on a hardware configuration and try to scale it from there.

Offline SATAKARNAK

• Off to a Start
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2011, 02:52:38 AM »
My gaming community Skyttegrav.se  link  http://www.skyttegrav.se/ could posebly hoste a minecraft server for The SGU

how meny slots wold you whant.We have a Good ISP and a some Servers we are allredy runing a minecraft server and could start a new one.

We wold do it for Free

Reply with your reqest for pop and i will ask i we can set it upp

SATAKARNAK

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2011, 08:14:04 AM »
I've got a working multiplayer server running.  It's not a long term solution but if anybody wants to pile on maybe we can get a sense of what a known set of specs can really handle.  The site might be up for a few days or a few hours so get on while the gettin's good.

While I suspect that SGU forum readers will probably be a cut above in terms of respect, please be careful around the existing structures and don't loot my goodies!  Apart from that have fun and I'll keep it running as long as I can.

Looks good, though i'm experiencing some lag even though I seem to be the only person around.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 04:28:39 PM by Rai »

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2011, 09:31:33 AM »
Yep, experiencing way more lag than last night. Missing chunks too, which is also new. And not just one or two, a whole row of like five chunks missing. Sorry to say, but I don't think your computer is quite up to the task.

Offline SATAKARNAK

• Off to a Start
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2011, 09:53:27 AM »
how meny slots wold you whant ? on a server

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2011, 09:56:04 AM »
Assuming that everyone who posted in this topic were all connected at once... I think 20 would do it.
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2011, 10:04:12 AM »
Assuming that everyone who posted in this topic were all connected at once... I think 20 would do it.

Given that we've had at least half a dozen people sign up on the forums just to post in the episode thread that they love the idea, if they mention on the podcast that the server is up I think it would easily be double that.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline Jay

• SGU Panel Member
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2011, 10:14:21 AM »
I agree that we need to do some research before we actually start the game.  Load-testing is a great idea.  Selecting a seed and game type have to be decided.

I think being able to have at least 50 slots is a good start.  I have no idea how many we will get but having the hardware and bandwidth ready would be best.

Lets decide on the seed and game type.  Can someone who is very familiar with the options make a list with brief descriptions?
I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. - Ford Prefect  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Offline SATAKARNAK

• Off to a Start
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2011, 10:26:12 AM »
i will check i Skyttegrav could hoste then =)

Edit done  now I ll have to wait =)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 10:32:21 AM by SATAKARNAK »

Offline leadcarbonate

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Beacon of Bacon
    • Game.Dev.Life
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2011, 10:33:34 AM »
Approximate specs: quad-core xeon around 2.8 ghz each. About 20gb of fast ram. Average hard drive on an SATA interface. My pipe is verizon fios ... 25 Mb up and down.

I agree that my machine is definitely NOT a long term solution but certainly a potential data point. Sounds like some other promising offers are rolling in.  My guess is 50 players will crush me into powder. If we decide to do a stress test I'll setup some bandwidth monitoring software to try and determine if that's the bottleneck b/c my hardware should be good to go.

As for for game performance I got mixed feedback. Server log showed no hiccups reported but sordid and runnerbeans were both getting glitches and lag at the same time.  For reference I'm located in southern California and the players having the most technical issues are located in Europe. I'm honestly not sure how big an issue proximity to server is but it's probably worth considering in final server selection.

In any case cheers and feel free to toodle around on there while it remains up. I look forward to the "real" server.

PS: in spite of my earlier comments, publicly revealing the seed could lead to cheating. If playing a game mode that requires resource gathering the unscrupulous player can use tools to locate resources on a local copy of the seed and then make straight for them. The server.

PPS: written on my iPad -- in case you catch any weird typos.
Whitelisting: http://tinyurl.com/sgumcwl
(I'll get to these in batches)

SGU Minecraft - sc12.servercraft.co:9347 (online - 9/24/2011)