Author Topic: Obscure movies that you really love but nobody else has seen?  (Read 164 times)

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Obscure movies that you really love but nobody else has seen?
« on: January 20, 2018, 12:08:14 PM »
Obscure for Reasons that I do not understand.
Miller's Crossing
 Early 90s Coen Brothers Gangster version of Yojimbo/Fist Full of Dollars/Red Harvest set in 30s Gangster.  Its my favorite Coen Brothers movie.

Mr Frost
 Jeff Goldblum as a serial killer/devil arrest, most of the film is Golblum in an asylum being interviewed by a psychatrist.  It one of Goldblum's best performances in my opinion.  I haven't scene it in years but it really stuck with me. 

Deep Cover
 Laurence Fishbourne as an undercover DEA agent who starts a drug gang with Jeff Goldblum as is attorney. 

Dark City
 used to be pretty obscure, it was released a year before the Matrix with similar themes.  Rufus Sewel in a sci fi/fantasy neo noir as a serial killing amnesiac being hunted by weirdos with magic powers.  See the director's cut, the theatrical release had voice over in the first 10 minutes that basically spoil the movie. I think its seen a bit of rise in popularity in the last few years, in the early 2000s, I was shocked the first time I met someone who had heard of it.

Low Budge Indie films that are understandably obscure:
Cemetery Man
Speaking of Rufus Sewel, a grave digger in town where people start coming back from the dead. 

Dead Man
Western starting Johnny Depp just at the edge of being Johnny Depp as we know him now by Jim Jarmusch

Ghost Dog
Way of the Samurai, Forest Whittaker as a contract killer who bases is lifestyle on the Book of Fiver Rings also by Jim Jarmusch.

Wrist Cutters: A love Story
I guy kills himself and ends up in a sort of Limbo, meets a girl and goes on an adventure with a guy who I thought was the lead singer of Gogol Bordello but is just a guy that sort looks like him and speaks with an eastern European accent.

What are yours?

« Last Edit: Today at 08:02:10 AM by Ah.hell »

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: Obscure movies that you really love but nobody else has scene?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 03:33:25 PM »
Anything from Toho Studios.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 05:16:58 PM »
I don't if I'd consider Godzilla obscure.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 06:05:16 PM »
I don't if I'd consider Godzilla obscure.
Some of the secondary monsters are very rare in the US.

Oh, and "Yongary" makes my list.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online CarbShark

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 10:02:33 PM »
Rancho Deluxe. Jeff Bridges and Slim Pickens. Jimmy Buffet on the sound track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
I don't know if many other people have seen Clue, but it's one of my favourite movies.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
I don't know if many other people have seen Clue, but it's one of my favourite movies.
Here it's a double feature with "Murder by Death". Chortles ensue.

I love the math lesson.

personate-rain