Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 570150 times)

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #11295 on: January 03, 2019, 10:33:50 AM »
Pee Wee's Christmas Special9/10
 a must-watch every year at my house.

It's A Wonderful Life 9/10
always good

Christmas Vacation 7.5 /10
I hate Chevy Chase but his is a great one

Austin Powers International Man of Mystery 7.5/10
Hmm, Not as funny as I remember. Lots of awkward pauses after some not-as-funny-as they-think-jokes.

Austin Powers the Spy Who Shagged Me 6/10
Joke is starting to get old.

Isle of Dogs 5/10
Put me to sleep

Avengers Infinity Wars 3/10
What the fuck is this shit?

The Little Hours 7.5/10
Raunchy comedy loosely based on a tale from the Decameron.
Aubrey Plaza and Alison Brie playing naughty nuns, not great, but not half bad either.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11296 on: January 04, 2019, 09:15:55 AM »
I enjoyed the little hours.  It's the kind of movie I'd probably never watch without a streaming account but I am glad I did.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11297 on: January 04, 2019, 11:59:28 AM »
please have this conversation in a diff thread.

I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #11298 on: January 04, 2019, 12:27:29 PM »
please have this conversation in a diff thread.

The comedian who played Super Dave Osborne died last week.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #11299 on: January 04, 2019, 03:09:28 PM »
Is this a movie?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online CarbShark

« Reply #11300 on: January 05, 2019, 10:49:19 AM »
If this was a movie I wouldn’t go see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #11301 on: January 05, 2019, 11:23:31 AM »
If this was a movie I wouldn’t go see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it was a Disney there would be singing. Way too much singing.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #11302 on: January 05, 2019, 01:04:17 PM »

[/quote]

All animals, including humans have a strong drive to reproduce.
[/quote]

Well, maybe not pandas......

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11303 on: January 06, 2019, 04:04:46 PM »
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 05:07:40 PM by Harry Black »

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #11304 on: January 09, 2019, 05:07:00 AM »
Star Command 1986 - Old TV Movie - 6/10.
Watchable and relatively enjoyable. Still, the uniforms included some sexism and a certain impracticality. All of the women's uniforms had relatively short skirts and their "On ship" uniform wasn't just something like a dark jumpsuit. There also were some scenes that make one wince with regard to consent. On the other side, there are some interesting ideas in the story.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 05:32:15 AM by Desert Fox »
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #11305 on: January 09, 2019, 08:31:04 AM »
Bachelor Night (2014, on Amazon Prime) 6/10

Amazon prime has a lot of films by The Asylum. Asylum's gimmick is they quickly rush out rip offs of block buster films and use similar titles: Atlantic Rim, Tomb Invader, Almighty Thor, Triassic World... Ostensibly Asylum has never made a money losing film. I'm not sure who is watching these movies or buying them. They seem to have hit the jackpot on the Sharknado franchise. Low cost CGI, low cost video, and low cost actors seem to allow them to churn 'em out. Most are quite horrible. You can barely watch any of them for about 5 minutes before turning it off. Bachelor Night, I guess meant to capitalize on The Hangover, is some what decent. A bachelor party and a bachelorette party in Vegas join forces to have fun. This involves going to a strip bar. The most amusing element of this movie is a straight guy who plays gay to get close to women. Probably pretty offensive to gay people but it's semi funny to see how the deception plays out. There's loads of nudity and the movie strays into almost soft core. Watch through the credits, too.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #11306 on: January 19, 2019, 09:14:24 AM »
Suspiria (2018): I'm a bit of a fan of the original. TBH, this is a totally different movie, other than the names of some of the characters and it being a horror movie set in a dance school run by a coven of witches. But it's gorgeously shot and it has an artsy feel to it. It's a slow burn, but there's some really harrowing scenes (such as a very long death scene in which a girl is "danced to death" and thrown around like a rag-doll as if someone was operating a voodoo doll). I also really enjoyed the soundtrack (by Thom Yorke), and tbh the abundance of eye candy did not hurt. The ending felt a bit sudden, though. Still, I had been looking forward to it, and even though I had to watch it over a span of two evenings (because I started too late at night), I was not disappointed. 9/10
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 12:56:27 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11307 on: January 20, 2019, 10:56:56 AM »
Spiderman Into the Spiderverse
9.5 / 10
This was a true achievement in cinema.  The one half point deduction is because there is a moment or two where the tone gets just a tiny bit too silly. But on to the good stuff..
The TLDR version, a movie by people who truly seemed to care about making a real film .   This movie is a work of art and the care and attention comes through.

The voice active is just brilliant, especially from Jake Johnson as a burned out Spiderman.
It was great to see a hero played by a minority and they do it in a way that seems like a celebration of his ethnicity and not just pandering.
The animation is absolutely brilliant.  IF all else in this movie was a failure that animation would merit a score of 7 by itself. If you have seen "motion comics"  this is like that style on steroids.
The story is a lot of fun.  I think it was just a hair too busy but the characters have such great emotional depth that they hold it together.  In particular I loved Miles as a person.

A lot of the movie could have come off as cliched and would sound cliched if described, except they do it in a way that has so much heart and earnestness that it works.

Great Villians!

The humor is also balanced very well.  It isn't perfect but there is a really nice balance between the drama and the silliness.

There's just a ton of delightful experimental weirdness that is hard to describe. 

I would easily nominate this for picture of the year.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11308 on: January 20, 2019, 11:04:20 AM »
9.5 / 10
This was a true achievement in cinema.  The one half point deduction is because there is a moment or two where the tone gets just a tiny bit too silly. But on to the good stuff..
The TLDR version, a movie by people who truly seemed to care about making a real film .   This movie is a work of art and the care and attention comes through.

The voice active is just brilliant, especially from Jake Johnson as a burned out Spiderman.
It was great to see a hero played by a minority and they do it in a way that seems like a celebration of his ethnicity and not just pandering.
The animation is absolutely brilliant.  IF all else in this movie was a failure that animation would merit a score of 7 by itself. If you have seen "motion comics"  this is like that style on steroids.
The story is a lot of fun.  I think it was just a hair too busy but the characters have such great emotional depth that they hold it together.  In particular I loved Miles as a person.

A lot of the movie could have come off as cliched and would sound cliched if described, except they do it in a way that has so much heart and earnestness that it works.

Great Villians!

The humor is also balanced very well.  It isn't perfect but there is a really nice balance between the drama and the silliness.

There's just a ton of delightful experimental weirdness that is hard to describe. 

I love that the fact that
(click to show/hide)

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11309 on: January 20, 2019, 11:08:48 AM »
9.5 / 10

Great Villians!

I love that the fact that
(click to show/hide)

In general the movie is a masterclass on economic screen writing.  Showing and not telling done to perfection.

personate-rain
personate-rain