Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 658355 times)

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #11325 on: February 12, 2019, 06:30:06 AM »
Mars Attacks. 10/10. I had forgotten how good this movie is. Watched it again as it’s on Amazon Prime right now.
Ah, how much skill does it really take to convert a series of bubble gum cards into a very entertaining movie?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #11326 on: February 12, 2019, 07:59:15 AM »
Mars Attacks. 10/10. I had forgotten how good this movie is. Watched it again as it’s on Amazon Prime right now.
Ah, how much skill does it really take to convert a series of bubble gum cards into a very entertaining movie?

I can only think of one other movie that fits that inspiration and you would be lucky to get 1/10 for it.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11327 on: February 12, 2019, 08:30:25 AM »
Annihilation 9/10
One of the most thought provoking  movies I've seen in a long time. I love that it had an all female cast. It explores difficult questions with no easy answers. It had one of the more terrifying cgi monsters I've seen.  I think that in time this will become a cult favorite and seen as a sci-fi masterpiece up there with 2001 and alien.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #11328 on: February 12, 2019, 09:05:13 AM »
Annihilation 9/10
One of the most thought provoking  movies I've seen in a long time. I love that it had an all female cast. It explores difficult questions with no easy answers. It had one of the more terrifying cgi monsters I've seen.  I think that in time this will become a cult favorite and seen as a sci-fi masterpiece up there with 2001 and alien.

That Bear was terrifying.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #11329 on: February 12, 2019, 09:24:29 AM »
The Little Prince (2015) - 8/10

I thought the framing narrative was excellent, as were the parts of the Little Prince story that stuck to the book. The little girl's bizarre excursion to the Little Prince's planetoids (which I think may have been meant to be a Wizard-of-Oz-style dream) just didn't work for me, but wasn't enough to spoil the movie.

Annihilation 9/10

I've been wanting to watch Annihilation since I saw a preview in the theater.  Your review might even persuade me to do a Hulu free trial.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #11330 on: February 12, 2019, 09:53:14 AM »
Damn, Werecow, your description of that movie makes me want to see it.  :D

I may have oversold it a bit. }|:op
Mooohn!

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #11331 on: February 12, 2019, 10:12:12 AM »

Apparently quite a lot or there would be more like it. The movie is silly and stupid and brilliant and utterly hilarious. (But I don’t understand the bubble gum card reference. I remember bubble gum cards, but I don’t remember them being anything other than baseball cards.) It’s idiotic that the womanizing press secretary is taken in by the Martian “woman” (not a spoiler because the viewer knows what she is at first glance) but that’s part of what makes the movie both idiotic and brilliant at the same time. Favorite line: Natalie Portman, as the President’s daughter, says: “I guess it wasn’t the bird.”

Annihilation 9/10

I've been wanting to watch Annihilation since I saw a preview in the theater.  Your review might even persuade me to do a Hulu free trial.

Annihilation is now on Amazon Prime. So if you have Prime you won’t need the Hulu subscription to see it. I give it about 7/10. I thought it was kind of dull. The bear was indeed scary, and the movie had a moderately high creepiness factor. I’d probably give it a 6/10 for creepiness. The acting was good, but the story was not all that interesting. I would not be surprised if it becomes a cult movie. 2001 A Space Odyssey is a cult movie and I thought it was deadly dull.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #11332 on: February 12, 2019, 11:25:18 AM »
Annihilation is now on Amazon Prime.

Why, so it is. Thanks.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11333 on: February 12, 2019, 11:27:07 AM »
Don't read the book before you see the movie, you'll cry.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #11334 on: February 12, 2019, 12:32:41 PM »
Aquaman 8/10

A fun enough romp. Not sure what William Defoe was doing in this movie. He seemed more of a distraction. I like the idea aquaman is bullet proof because pretty much he has to be touch enough to avoid being crushed to death deep in the sea. Not what you'd call a very diverse cast. The bad guys were black. The evolved advanced atlanteans were all white people. Even Thor threw in some black gods.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #11335 on: February 12, 2019, 12:46:52 PM »
Aquaman 8/10

A fun enough romp. Not sure what William Defoe was doing in this movie. He seemed more of a distraction. I like the idea aquaman is bullet proof because pretty much he has to be touch enough to avoid being crushed to death deep in the sea. Not what you'd call a very diverse cast. The bad guys were black. The evolved advanced atlanteans were all white people. Even Thor threw in some black gods.

I didn't notice that. The Atlanteans certainly could have been a lot more diverse.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #11336 on: February 12, 2019, 12:55:09 PM »

Why, so it is. Thanks.

Does anyone know of a good single source for what can be stream on which service?  I've yet to find anything reliable.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #11337 on: February 12, 2019, 01:40:23 PM »

Why, so it is. Thanks.

Does anyone know of a good single source for what can be stream on which service?  I've yet to find anything reliable.

I use Roku's search feature.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #11338 on: February 12, 2019, 01:49:06 PM »

Why, so it is. Thanks.

It's also on Netflix.

It was an ok adaption. 7/10.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11339 on: February 12, 2019, 02:13:13 PM »
Aquaman 8/10

Why would the Atlanteans need protection from the Sun? After a few thousand years at depth they'd be as white as the Vikings.

personate-rain