Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 584065 times)

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #11475 on: March 24, 2019, 07:06:24 PM »
Us9/10
A very different film to Get Out for sure, and not always as amazingly enjoyable, but it is terrifying, brilliantly made, thought provoking and choc full of clues about whats happening.
I want to watch it again but will need to wait and let my nerves recover.

Awesome!  Can't wait to see it.

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #11476 on: March 25, 2019, 01:46:00 PM »
Us9/10
A very different film to Get Out for sure, and not always as amazingly enjoyable, but it is terrifying, brilliantly made, thought provoking and choc full of clues about whats happening.

It has some internal logic problems, but I love, loved, loved it.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11477 on: March 25, 2019, 06:06:34 PM »
Us9/10

It has some internal logic problems, but I love, loved, loved it.
Of course! Theres a couple of points where a leap must be taken in service of the greater narrative but it was well worth it I think.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11478 on: March 27, 2019, 07:52:48 PM »
I want to give a 9/10 to Us as well, absoluelty brilliant, mind-bending, extremely relevant and creepy as hell. I have to see it again.

I really appreciated, as a squeamish person, that it is not the gory kind of horror, maybe even a tiny bit less so than Get Out.

Also, I demand that Lupita Nyong'o be given all the awards. Every. Single. One. Even the chemistry Nobel. She is the most brilliant actor of her generation. Also all the roles.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11479 on: March 28, 2019, 10:43:54 AM »
I want to give a 9/10 to Us as well, absoluelty brilliant, mind-bending, extremely relevant and creepy as hell. I have to see it again.

I really appreciated, as a squeamish person, that it is not the gory kind of horror, maybe even a tiny bit less so than Get Out.

Also, I demand that Lupita Nyong'o be given all the awards. Every. Single. One. Even the chemistry Nobel. She is the most brilliant actor of her generation. Also all the roles.
I felt a bit uneasy home alone afterwards.
Not in case a copy of me showed up but in case Lupita was hiding in my apartment.

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #11480 on: March 28, 2019, 11:05:41 AM »

I felt a bit uneasy home alone afterwards.
Not in case a copy of me showed up but in case Lupita was hiding in my apartment.

(click to show/hide)

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #11481 on: April 02, 2019, 08:22:32 PM »
Spiderman: Into the Spider Verse 7/10
A lot went on in the movie and it was enjoyable although I wondering if it does improve on the seocnd viewing.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
β€” Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #11482 on: April 04, 2019, 04:53:12 PM »
Glass (2019): It was alright, but the ending was a bit underwhelming.
(click to show/hide)
7/10
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 04:55:45 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #11483 on: April 05, 2019, 02:13:23 PM »
The Highwaymen 7/10

I enjoyed this film quite a bit. Another surprisingly good netflix production.  So much talent in this film. Kathy Bates, K Costner, W Harrelson, Kim Dickens, John Carroll Lynch, William Sadler and many more.  Kathy Bates was particularly good as Ma Ferguson. I didn't know the history of the 2nd US female governor (Texas) and the film made me want to find out more about her.  Kevin and Woody were great as usual.  I would like to see more films from this time period.
β€œDon't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #11484 on: April 07, 2019, 05:05:27 PM »
Pet Sematary  2/10

Y'know, there's a really good Stephen King novel with the same title.

Someone should try filming that sometime.

All snark aside, this adaption is better acted and directed than the 1989 travesty (which was scripted by Steve King himself, proving not even he can successfully translate his novels to screen). The pacing is too fast and John Lithgow's Jud Crandall is portrayed much more creepy and far less sympathetic than in the novel. And of course, there's the HUGE change which is revealed in the trailers. But I was actually accepting the changes and going along with the movie...until the god-awful third act when it completely goes off the rails and becomes an utter shitfest. 

For the fifty years I've been going to the movies, I've always stayed and sat thru and read the credits for every film. Even as a kid. Long before post-credits stingers were ever a thought. It's something I feel separates true  fans from causal  film-goers. But as soon as this film ended and the credits started to roll, I was out of my seat and gone. Nothing can better convey the disgust for this film and lack of respect I have for the film-makers.

Yet another terrible film that will force me to defend my love of Stephen King to people who have never read a word of his prose and consider him a hack.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #11485 on: April 07, 2019, 05:11:13 PM »
"Gorgo", a British Godzilla movie. For the British cinema of the time, 1961, it was on a par with the Hammer films. Chortles were heard here as Boss Lady and I watched. I found it on Prime.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #11486 on: April 07, 2019, 05:20:13 PM »
Pet Sematary  2/10

All snark aside, this adaption is better acted and directed than the 1989 travesty (which was scripted by Steve King himself, proving not even he can successfully translate his novels to screen). The pacing is too fast and John Lithgow's Jud Crandall is portrayed much more creepy and far less sympathetic than in the novel. And of course, there's the HUGE change which is revealed in the trailers. But I was actually accepting the changes and going along with the movie...until the god-awful third act when it completely goes off the rails and becomes an utter shitfest. 

For the fifty years I've been going to the movies, I've always stayed and sat thru and read the credits for every film. Even as a kid. Long before post-credits stingers were ever a thought. It's something I feel separates true  fans from causal  film-goers. But as soon as this film ended and the credits started to roll, I was out of my seat and gone. Nothing can better convey the disgust for this film and lack of respect I have for the film-makers.

Yet another terrible film that will force me to defend my love of Stephen King to people who have never read a word of his prose and consider him a hack.

Pet Sematary IS NOT 50 YEARS OLD!  YOU TAKE THAT BACK.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

« Reply #11487 on: April 07, 2019, 05:24:26 PM »
Pet Sematary  2/10

Pet Sematary IS NOT 50 YEARS OLD!  YOU TAKE THAT BACK.

Um, I said I've been going to the movies for fifty years. I'm 56. Never said PS was. The movies is thirty years old. The book is is 36.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #11488 on: April 07, 2019, 05:57:04 PM »
... Yet another terrible film that will force me to defend my love of Stephen King to people who have never read a word of his prose and consider him a hack.

I thought I'd read a Stephen King book once. I found one on Kindle. But when I haven't read an author before, I read the sample, to see if I like their writing style. The same way I'd look inside a book at a library or bookstore before borrowing or buying it.

But in the case of the King book, the long Kindle sample was all preface and didn't even get to the first page of the book. What's the point of a sample if you never get to see an actual sample of the author's writing? I did not buy the book. I'm still up for reading a sample of his writing. Then if I like it I'll buy the book and see how well I like that.

There's plenty of books and no way I'll get to everything I'd like to read in what remains of my life. So if King's publisher wants me to buy one of his books (and maybe end up reading them all) they'll have to put an actual sample in the Kindle sample. Otherwise I'm happy to ignore him.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

« Reply #11489 on: April 07, 2019, 06:40:11 PM »
... Yet another terrible film that will force me to defend my love of Stephen King to people who have never read a word of his prose and consider him a hack.

I thought I'd read a Stephen King book once. I found one on Kindle. But when I haven't read an author before, I read the sample, to see if I like their writing style. The same way I'd look inside a book at a library or bookstore before borrowing or buying it.

But in the case of the King book, the long Kindle sample was all preface and didn't even get to the first page of the book. What's the point of a sample if you never get to see an actual sample of the author's writing? I did not buy the book. I'm still up for reading a sample of his writing. Then if I like it I'll buy the book and see how well I like that.

There's plenty of books and no way I'll get to everything I'd like to read in what remains of my life. So if King's publisher wants me to buy one of his books (and maybe end up reading them all) they'll have to put an actual sample in the Kindle sample. Otherwise I'm happy to ignore him.

When I'm curious about starting a new author, I look to see if there is a collection of short stories by him to give me a taste of his writing. I started reading Stephen King in August 0f 1979 with the only short-story collection he had out then, Skeleton Crew. Half way thru reading that, I went back the bookstore and bought out his entire back catalog....which at that time consisted of only six novels. I often joke "I am so old I started reading Stephen King when he had only six books to his name!*"

*Not counting the four books he had out under his Bachman pen-name which I or no one else in '79 knew was him.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 06:44:34 PM by Paul Blevins Jr. »