Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 678516 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #11580 on: April 13, 2019, 11:31:34 AM »
Watched Moana on the plane. I liked it even more than the first time I saw it. 9/10.

Then I watched all but about the last 20 or 30 minutes of Focus, because they were predicting turbulance on arrival and collected the devices early. I've seen it before, but couldn't remember how it ended. Margot Robbie is gorgeous. I absolutely loved her as Harley Quinn. She's not bonkers in this movie, which is a disadvantage, but on the plus side she's not wearing disfiguring makeup.
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #11581 on: April 13, 2019, 11:40:46 AM »
Is anyone going to see hellboy?

I saw Hellboy a long time ago. I liked it.

There's a reboot out now-ish.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #11582 on: April 13, 2019, 12:03:16 PM »
And that's what Brilligtove was talking about.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #11583 on: April 14, 2019, 11:08:12 AM »
Is anyone going to see hellboy?

I saw Hellboy a long time ago. I liked it.

There's a reboot out now-ish.

And that's what Brilligtove was talking about.

I guess that since I never get other people's jokes, it's only fair that other folks don't get my attempt at being silly.  :-\
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #11584 on: April 14, 2019, 12:57:51 PM »
I guess that since I never get other people's jokes, it's only fair that other folks don't get my attempt at being silly.  :-\

Given your frequent self-profession of ignorance of contemporary popular culture, you will have to forgive my assuming that you were unaware of the reboot.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #11585 on: April 14, 2019, 02:23:07 PM »
Hellboy (2019) 8/10

This movie lives in the same genre as Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness. It knows what it is and behaves accordingly. It earns the hard R rating for gore and horrible ideas expressed on screen. There were many times I laughed out loud. My only criticisms are that one of the main characters is badly acted (Daniel Dae Kim as Ben Daimio), there were a few tine when it was clear the filmmakers had to search for a way to make a scene gross, and there was a bit too much exposition.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11586 on: April 14, 2019, 03:15:53 PM »
Hellboy (2019) 8/10

This movie lives in the same genre as Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness. It knows what it is and behaves accordingly. It earns the hard R rating for gore and horrible ideas expressed on screen. There were many times I laughed out loud. My only criticisms are that one of the main characters is badly acted (Daniel Dae Kim as Ben Daimio), there were a few tine when it was clear the filmmakers had to search for a way to make a scene gross, and there was a bit too much exposition.
Sounds like everything I'm hoping for.

Now we need to square off Hell Boy against Deadpool. "Deadpool III: What the ass!"
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11587 on: April 14, 2019, 03:25:32 PM »
Hellboy (2019) 8/10

Now we need to square off Hell Boy against Deadpool. "Deadpool III: What the ass!"

My first reaction to that idea was "cool idea!" Then I started thinking about how vastly different the genres are and the idea began to decohere. I do like the way you think!
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11588 on: April 14, 2019, 04:00:07 PM »
Hellboy (2019) 8/10

My first reaction to that idea was "cool idea!" Then I started thinking about how vastly different the genres are and the idea began to decohere. I do like the way you think!
Hey, Deadpool 2 was full of ghosts. Short leap to demons. Imagine that they both think the other is at fault for some weird happenings. "I have to take him out!"

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #11589 on: April 14, 2019, 04:11:17 PM »
The run of the comics where some necromancer reanimated the dead Presidents, and the only one who could handle the PR nightmare of wasting Washington or Lincoln was Deadpool, would be a perfect substitution for Hellboy.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #11590 on: April 14, 2019, 04:14:13 PM »
Hellboy (2019) 8/10

Heh, well, I haven't seen the new Hellboy yet, but Neil Marshall's first "big" production was Dog Soldiers, which was a pretty fun werewolf movie. I could see him doing something Evil Dead-like. I don't know if they would blend well together though.
Mooohn!

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #11591 on: April 14, 2019, 04:32:41 PM »

Given your frequent self-profession of ignorance of contemporary popular culture, you will have to forgive my assuming that you were unaware of the reboot.

I was completely unaware of it. But I got it from the context that there is a new one.
Daniel
----------------
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11592 on: April 14, 2019, 05:07:40 PM »

I was completely unaware of it. But I got it from the context that there is a new one.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11593 on: April 14, 2019, 07:26:08 PM »
Hellboy (2019) 8/10

Hey, Deadpool 2 was full of ghosts. Short leap to demons. Imagine that they both think the other is at fault for some weird happenings. "I have to take him out!"

It's more the tone and palette. Deadpool was R pop music full of bright colours and happy sounds. Hellboy was R rated death metal full of darkness and grim noise.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11594 on: April 14, 2019, 07:34:58 PM »
Hellboy (2019) 8/10

It's more the tone and palette. Deadpool was R pop music full of bright colours and happy sounds. Hellboy was R rated death metal full of darkness and grim noise.
I don't think Wade Wilson would have a problem with a mash-up. The change in musical style would be when we shift from one protagonist to the other. A third, somber theme, would be for the real bad guy.