Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 635215 times)

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #11700 on: May 15, 2019, 06:22:32 PM »
John Wick 3 9.5/10

3 times as good as John Wick 1.

Lost half a mark because the end is a little too much even by John Wick standards and the world is a little too oblivious to all of this carnage happening in plain sight.

If you ever wanted to see someone use a horse in a fist fight or dogs in a gun fight then this is the movie for you.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #11701 on: May 15, 2019, 06:55:08 PM »
Best review I've seen so far: "Bang, bang, stab, stab, stab, bang." I'll be going.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #11702 on: May 15, 2019, 09:14:55 PM »
Me too.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11703 on: May 16, 2019, 11:51:59 AM »
Get Carter 8/10
Something of a classic, and regarded as one of the best films from the UK. Definitely an influence in many underworld / crime movies  (such as Don' Go Rounin' Roun To Re Ro).
Michael Caine is noted (rightly so) for a portrayal of an ice-cold gangland killer. It took me a bit to get the idea that he wasn't cool, and he wasn't likable.
The setting is great. There is something about the UK that seems to have more grime, decay and corrosion in their bad areas than anyplace else. The row houses and tenements still have outdoor plumbing, you figure the air has a constant smell of coal and outhouses.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11704 on: May 17, 2019, 04:17:46 PM »
Empire Records 1995
na/10

Couldn't finish this. It was really pretty awful.

Some idiot decided to make a bad 1980s movie in the middle of the 1990s.
Really bad script, awful editing and not particularly good acting.

The only thing redeeming is that it was made in the part of the decade when young women wore really short skirts.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #11705 on: May 18, 2019, 11:08:37 AM »
Get Carter 8/10
Something of a classic, and regarded as one of the best films from the UK. Definitely an influence in many underworld / crime movies  (such as Don' Go Rounin' Roun To Re Ro).
Michael Caine is noted (rightly so) for a portrayal of an ice-cold gangland killer. It took me a bit to get the idea that he wasn't cool, and he wasn't likable.
The setting is great. There is something about the UK that seems to have more grime, decay and corrosion in their bad areas than anyplace else. The row houses and tenements still have outdoor plumbing, you figure the air has a constant smell of coal and outhouses.

I tried to watch this. The first 5 or 10 minutes was so slow I couldn't keep watching. Perhaps I could be convinced to turn it back on, if you say that the pacing improves.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11706 on: May 19, 2019, 07:18:44 PM »
Empire Records 1995
na/10

The only thing redeeming is that it was made in the part of the decade when young women wore really short skirts.

liv tyler's arms hang way too low and it freaks me out. but I can't hate any movie with Gwar!!!
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #11707 on: May 19, 2019, 07:38:02 PM »
Empire Records 1995
na/10

Short skirts and Doc Martens, the boots are important, I wish they would bring that look back.

I actually really like this movie, It reminds me of a fun time period in my life. Oh and Gwar!!!
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #11708 on: May 19, 2019, 08:26:47 PM »
John Wick 3. Waiting for John Wick 4.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #11709 on: May 19, 2019, 10:38:19 PM »
John Wick 3. Waiting for John Wick 4.
j e a l o u s y
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11710 on: May 20, 2019, 12:17:44 PM »

Short skirts and Doc Martens, the boots are important, I wish they would bring that look back.

Bought a pair of Doc Martens once. Wore them maybe  a half dozen times until I decided they will never feel remotely comfortable.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #11711 on: May 20, 2019, 04:05:28 PM »

Bought a pair of Doc Martens once. Wore them maybe  a half dozen times until I decided they will never feel remotely comfortable.
Easily the most comfortable boots I've ever worn.  The soft sole and leather really make a difference.

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11712 on: May 20, 2019, 06:06:03 PM »
Empire Records 1995
na/10

I actually really like this movie, It reminds me of a fun time period in my life. Oh and Gwar!!!
Isnt it back? Come visit me and we will go drinking!

And yeah, breaking in real leather docs is hard but worth it.

Batman vs TMNT 8/10

Really fun animated film about batman meeting the turtles and fighting shredder. The story works better than it should and the jokes mostly land.
The fight choreography is solid and quite brutal at times.
Its a bit uneven though, the time spent with the rogues gallery feels pretty weak compared to massive ninja battles and Damien Wayne can fuck off.

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11713 on: May 26, 2019, 04:56:01 PM »
Rim of The World2/10

Oh my god....this is one of the most awful films I have ever seen! do not let your kids watch it!
There are multiple explicit sexual references in this movie that seems to be trying to ride the Stranger Things bandwagon with a bunch of kids who meet at camp just before aliens invade and then are the only hope to defeat them.
Theres the white one that everyone seems to think is a good leader and is smart and nervous.
The asian girl who inexplicably fancies the nerdy white kid and always wears a headband regardless of outfit.
The cowardly fast talking black one who wears bling and harasses women.
The tall latinx one who dresses like a rockabilly and looks like river phoenix.

Theres a whole few minute segment where they all stop at a mall to do an addidas ad and then wear addidas tracksuits for the rest of the film. Destroying the only bearable thing about the film which was the aesthetic.

Theres so much awkward dialogue clearly written by a white dude where black characters show the white kid "The black man handshake" and talk about how Toy Story is a metaphor  for race relations since the blackman can only be himself when the white man leaves the room and one literally says "Why are we talking like black dudes from the 80s?"

Without all the weird sexual stuff this could be a fun movie for kids under 12.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11714 on: May 26, 2019, 06:43:10 PM »
The tall latinx one who dresses like a rockabilly and looks like river phoenix.

Is this character also of indeterminate gender?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell