Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 645714 times)

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #11775 on: June 10, 2019, 11:52:14 AM »
I lean toward visuals over writing in cinema. Eye candy on a screen "four elephants wide and four and a half elephants tall" is fun for me. I accept that writing is a poor cousin to action and just surf past the mental potholes.

Having said the above I have learned about movie making a bit. I wrote a dissertation on "The Effects of the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact on Soviet Cinema." My lead prof. at Purdue was Randy Roberts, author of John Wayne, American.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #11776 on: June 10, 2019, 12:19:12 PM »
I lean toward visuals over writing in cinema. Eye candy on a screen "four elephants wide and four and a half elephants tall" is fun for me. I accept that writing is a poor cousin to action and just surf past the mental potholes.

Having said the above I have learned about movie making a bit. I wrote a dissertation on "The Effects of the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact on Soviet Cinema." My lead prof. at Purdue was Randy Roberts, author of John Wayne, American.

Have you seen Samsara (2011)? one of THE most visually stunning movies.

Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11777 on: June 10, 2019, 12:24:45 PM »
Nope, and I suspect the lack of explosions would kill me.  ;D
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #11778 on: June 10, 2019, 12:31:15 PM »
Endgame, very late to that party but enjoyed it a lot. We went at noon on Saturday and had the place almost to ourselves. I definitely want to see it again, I had some spoilers but still enjoyed it.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11779 on: June 10, 2019, 12:36:32 PM »
Endgame, very late to that party but enjoyed it a lot. We went at noon on Saturday and had the place almost to ourselves. I definitely want to see it again, I had some spoilers but still enjoyed it.
Seeing it for the fourth time today.  :D

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11780 on: June 10, 2019, 12:45:03 PM »
Casablanca
10/10

I keep forgetting it was made in 1942. 

I probably rated this earlier on the thread--I tend to watch it about every 18 months or so. I wonder if I gave it a 9 or a 10. I don't give 10s on many films, but this one certainly gets one. It nails so many things, including the power of music--both in "Time Goes by" and the dueling national anthems*--France really does have a great one, doesn't it?

* Until now I didn't know that the subjects of the two anthems sung are related to specifically historic French-German antagonisms. Yet another perfect touch.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 12:58:48 PM by seamas »

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11781 on: June 12, 2019, 07:39:58 PM »
And you noticed  Bogey never said "Play it again, Sam"?

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #11782 on: June 12, 2019, 07:44:44 PM »
He whispered it in Sam’s ear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #11783 on: June 12, 2019, 07:51:56 PM »
Casablanca
10/10

I agree.  One of my favorite movies of all time.  And you're right, somehow it is timeless.  Were the exact movie be made today it would be just as great.  Let's just hope that the studios are not so stupid as to try to remake it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 07:54:28 PM by jt512 »
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #11784 on: June 13, 2019, 12:25:58 AM »
Dark Phoenix - 6.5/10

I'm not sure what kind of crack people are smoking when they say this is the worst film of the franchise because I don't remotely see it that way.  DEFINTELY not the best or anywhere near the top half, but it's not The Last Stand or X-Men Origins: Wolverine either.  The only edge I think those 2 have over this one is that they had a level of camp and cheesiness that kind of put them in "so bad it's good" territory where Dark Phoenix is more bland and a little under-enthusiastic.  A lot of people are complaining about continuity being thrown out the window, but honestly, the whole First Class reboot universe has done that so much by now that it should be more an expected component than a surprise.  My only real complaint, story-wise, is what they did to Xavier in this movie by randomly turning him into a self-glorifying and self-centered a-hole for some reason.  It could have worked, but it just feels so out of left field with all of what we know about the man from the other films that I just don't get it.  Because of that a lot of the inter-personal conflict felt manufactured and forced and just overall didn't work for me.  Also, the villains didn't really do much for me either as they were pretty bland and generic, but better films have had the same issue and the part they play in service to the plot works well enough for me.

Where I think I differ from a lot of people is in not really caring that given the epic nature of the source material, this take on the Phoenix Saga was pretty low key and not very epic.  Sure, it could have been something special, but it's pretty unfair to rate it by comparing it to a movie that doesn't exist.  I also was fairly happy with the action scenes too, smaller-scale as they were.  They had what I've always liked about the X-Men universe's action, creative uses of each mutant's unique power set.  For instance, the opening mission was about as quintessential an X-Men action sequence you could ask for where they all worked together as a team to achieve a goal by using their powers in a perfectly logical and interesting manner.  If anything, I think this shows how perhaps the X-Men, more than most other Marvel comics, are well-suited to a smaller format with less "The World is Going to End" action.  Also, the final action sequence (at least until Phoenix enters the mix) was absolutely fantastic with all of the mutants using their powers in creative and interesting ways, and yet still managing to work as a team despite it not being a planned mission.

All told, I think this was a bit of a misfire (with a few performances leaving something to be desired as well), but not nearly as much as reviewers are making it out to be.  This would not have been the film to end the Fox franchise on that I would want, but it's still enjoyable and fun.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11785 on: June 14, 2019, 04:26:25 PM »

Yeah, it is a movie with maybe a dozen great quotes, plus that one that didn't exist.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11786 on: June 14, 2019, 04:36:12 PM »
Casablanca
10/10

I agree.  One of my favorite movies of all time.  And you're right, somehow it is timeless.  Were the exact movie be made today it would be just as great.  Let's just hope that the studios are not so stupid as to try to remake it.

I've seen it maybe fifteen times or more, but often thought it was made maybe towards the end of the war or even after it--seeing how the end seems to point to an assured victory. It shares some of the traits of WWII movies made in the 50s, so it being made less than a year after Pearl harbor was what took me by surprise, though the initial concepts were being formed quite earlier ('38).
It is also surprising in that while made in Wartime and dealing with the war theme, it doesn't have the feel of the propaganda films at all.
It is also noted for being something of a collaboration---the great film that doesn't fit the auteur theory.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #11787 on: June 14, 2019, 05:27:08 PM »
Secret Life of Pets 2.  Veeeeeery bland sequel to an amusing enough kids' movie.  Instantly forgettable.

The Jerk.  Still so good.  All movies from that era are a bit cringey with regard to modern social mores, but this one felt surprisingly ahead of its time (can't speak objectively here, I love it so I might be receiving it a bit more positively than it deserves in that regard).

Dragonlance: Dragons of Autumn Twilight (recent animated feature):  I don't know, and can't really judge it fairly.  It's a beloved book from my childhood, and the movie is almost a word-for-word projection of the book onto the screen.  It felt rushed, like there was no time to get to know anyone or see anything as they had to cram the entire book into the one movie.  Some of the actors were great, some were wooden.  My 8yo daughter liked it, but her main reason was "I LOVE how many of the bad guys are girls in this!"  By the end of the movie, I was kind of tired of it(?) but that's not quite it.  I felt like I was waiting for something, but I don't know what.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #11788 on: June 14, 2019, 07:45:15 PM »
Is this the Dragonlance? I had no idea it has existed for 11½ years!
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #11789 on: June 15, 2019, 01:44:13 PM »

I think he said "Play it, Sam." That's how I remember it, anyway.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck