Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 669476 times)

Online bimble

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #11880 on: July 10, 2019, 06:00:11 PM »
8 Days: To The Moon And Back - out of this world/10

using recently declassified cockpit recordings, archive footage, and dramatic reconstructions this is a 90 minute film showing the Apollo 11 mission from launch until splashdown. It was on the BBC over here, I think PBS in the US.

I did enjoy it and would watch it again.  :)

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #11881 on: July 11, 2019, 01:53:58 AM »
Spiderman: Far From Home - 8/10

The first was fun, I think this was better. This is the Spiderman we deserve!

(click to show/hide)
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #11882 on: July 11, 2019, 06:24:13 AM »
8 Days: To The Moon And Back - out of this world/10

using recently declassified cockpit recordings, archive footage, and dramatic reconstructions this is a 90 minute film showing the Apollo 11 mission from launch until splashdown. It was on the BBC over here, I think PBS in the US.

I did enjoy it and would watch it again.  :)
On PBS in the US July 17th. Thanks for the heads up.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #11883 on: July 11, 2019, 09:48:08 PM »
Triple Threat (2019): A kind of martial arts all-stars movie. If the names Tony Jaa, Tiger Hu Chen, Iko Uwais, Scott Adkins and Michael Jai White mean something to you, then you may enjoy this and you probably know what to expect. I've wanted to see a Tony Jaa vs Scott Adkins match for a while, and this movie delivers. The story and acting are par for the course. Scott Adkins is a lot more Australian or maybe British than I remembered. Tiger Hu Chen is a Vulkan.

7.5/10
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 10:35:43 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #11884 on: July 12, 2019, 07:08:42 PM »
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (2019): I enjoyed the parts where everybody died horribly, which was most of it, so two thumbs up. }|<o) 8.5/10

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #11885 on: July 12, 2019, 07:32:40 PM »
Toy Story 4 (8/10)

Not a perfect movie, but a very satisfactory conclusion to the series. The hijinks are not particularly original - we know what the toys can do - but the situation and the choices they make are engaging. I would have liked there to be significantly more Woody/Buzz interplay, but this one was really about Woody and saying goodbye.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #11886 on: July 12, 2019, 08:26:46 PM »
Toy Story 4 (8/10)

Not a perfect movie, but a very satisfactory conclusion to the series. The hijinks are not particularly original - we know what the toys can do - but the situation and the choices they make are engaging. I would have liked there to be significantly more Woody/Buzz interplay, but this one was really about Woody and saying goodbye.

Christina Hendricks was scary af in that movie.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11887 on: July 12, 2019, 10:02:14 PM »
Toy Story 4 (8/10)

Christina Hendricks was scary af in that movie.

Her henchmen certainly helped with that!

(click to show/hide)
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11888 on: July 13, 2019, 05:03:47 AM »
"Yesterday", 10/10.  Maybe it helps to be well in one's sixties and still in love with the Beatles.  Ed Sheeran was fantastic as himself but the man that played John Lennon was amazing.  I guess the leads were were bloody good as well.  An amazing twisted plot; I'm glad they didn't unwind it.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #11889 on: July 15, 2019, 08:56:33 AM »
Into the Spiderverse, pretty much as good as everyone says. 

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11890 on: July 15, 2019, 12:23:06 PM »
Into the Spiderverse, pretty much as good as everyone says.
Finally saw that one on Prime(?). Glad I waited. It was not at all bad but I wouldn't have sat through it in a theater. (I sat through ENDGAME three times, for reference.)
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11891 on: July 15, 2019, 04:53:21 PM »
Deadpool 2

A worthy successor that feels like a real sequel and not a cash grab.  I liked that we actually got more character development and growth and because we actually gave a crap about the characters, the fight sequences paid off in a way that felt better than most I have seen lately.  The problem was pacing, the movie takes waaaay too long to get going but once it does it's pretty great.

7.5/10
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #11892 on: July 16, 2019, 08:11:58 AM »
Spiderman: Far From Home - 8/10

The first was fun, I think this was better. This is the Spiderman we deserve!

(click to show/hide)

I also like superhero movies where they have some semblance of a normal life and have to balance that with their superpowers.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11893 on: July 16, 2019, 11:09:41 AM »
Deadpool 2

A worthy successor that feels like a real sequel and not a cash grab.  I liked that we actually got more character development and growth and because we actually gave a crap about the characters, the fight sequences paid off in a way that felt better than most I have seen lately.  The problem was pacing, the movie takes waaaay too long to get going but once it does it's pretty great.

7.5/10
You have to watch the theatrical release and then[\i] the Super Duper Cut. You'll see some interesting alternatives. (Especially the one involving a diaper.)

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11894 on: July 16, 2019, 02:42:54 PM »
I didn't know there was such a cut. It is now on the list.