Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 679343 times)

st3class and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #12045 on: September 03, 2019, 12:13:11 PM »
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 7/10

Okay but I'm not sure about the alternative history ending. I'm glad, I suppose, they didn't glorify the Manson murders. Much. There's a kind of movie within a movie aspect although I would have liked to seen the resolution of the pilot Rick Dalton plays the heavy in. The plot seems to meander a lot, although with the Manson introduction you think you know where it's going. You just wonder how the movie will get you there.  A long movie 2.5 hrs+. Not sure it had to be that long.

Dora the Explorer 5/10

I fell asleep.

"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12046 on: September 03, 2019, 01:38:47 PM »
The Princess Bride 6.5/10
We had an outdoor / backyard movie night with our neighbors. Figured this would be inoffensive enough (their daughters don't go for edgy).
It fit the bill. It's entertaining at times but I still don't get the love for it. IMHO if could have been done a lot better.

Yesterday: (Labor day, rained most of the day, also slightly hungover)
Rocky 7/10
A good movie about a really dumb boxer.
It is pretty slow. Most of it takes place in the armpit of Philadelphia. How depressing is it that the richest/greatest country in the world seems to have as many slums and sh*tholes than any place in the first world?

Rocky II 3/10
A really stupid sequel about the really dumb boxer. I never saw this, at least never saw the whole thing. Story is not every interesting and the boxing scenes are absolutely ridiculous. I can't understand why boxing fans like these movies. Has there ever been a heavyweight fight were anyone comes lose to this many blows to the head and survives?

Rocky III Just for the lulz. 3/10
I remember when this came out people said it was better than Rocky II. I'm not so sure, except Mr. T was does a better acting job than just about anyone in the whole series.
About 3/4 through this I wouldn't have been at all surprised if Rocky and Apollo ended up making out.

I didn't bother with Rocky IV, I saw it in the theater when it came out.
There's no such thing as denial.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #12047 on: September 03, 2019, 01:56:07 PM »
When I saw the previews for Rocky IV (fighting the Soviet (Dragov?)) in a theater I couldn't help but call out at the end of it. "Gee, I wonder who wins?"
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #12048 on: September 03, 2019, 02:42:17 PM »
The Princess Bride 6.5/10
We had an outdoor / backyard movie night with our neighbors. Figured this would be inoffensive enough (their daughters don't go for edgy).
It fit the bill. It's entertaining at times but I still don't get the love for it. IMHO if could have been done a lot better.

Yesterday: (Labor day, rained most of the day, also slightly hungover)
Rocky 7/10
A good movie about a really dumb boxer.
It is pretty slow. Most of it takes place in the armpit of Philadelphia. How depressing is it that the richest/greatest country in the world seems to have as many slums and sh*tholes than any place in the first world?

Rocky II 3/10
A really stupid sequel about the really dumb boxer. I never saw this, at least never saw the whole thing. Story is not every interesting and the boxing scenes are absolutely ridiculous. I can't understand why boxing fans like these movies. Has there ever been a heavyweight fight were anyone comes lose to this many blows to the head and survives?

Rocky III Just for the lulz. 3/10
I remember when this came out people said it was better than Rocky II. I'm not so sure, except Mr. T was does a better acting job than just about anyone in the whole series.
About 3/4 through this I wouldn't have been at all surprised if Rocky and Apollo ended up making out.

I didn't bother with Rocky IV, I saw it in the theater when it came out.

Its interesting that you would describe Philly that way. I never thought of those areas as "slums" especially in the 70s. That was working class Philly he lived in, he ran through the Italian market and up the history museum steps. he worked at the docs. Garbage was everywhere in the late 70s even the richer parts of town.

The meat packing plant interiors and ext was shot in LA on East Vernon Avenue which mite be slum I don't know.  The fighting rings were in LA too. The same ring as Raging Bull.

My Rocky ratings
Rocky: 10/10
Rocky II: 9/10
Rocky III 5/10 (really a 2 but I give 2 extra points for Mr T and 1 point for the song)
Rocky IV 3/10
Rocky V 2/10
Rocky Balboa 8/10 (much much better than I expected)
Creed: 5/10
Creed II: not interested

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12049 on: September 03, 2019, 03:05:19 PM »
Its interesting that you would describe Philly that way. I never thought of those areas as "slums" especially in the 70s. That was working class Philly he lived in, he ran through the Italian market and up the history museum steps. he worked at the docs. Garbage was everywhere in the late 70s even the richer parts of town.

OK a working class slum.

Garbage and littering were something of an American past-time, but the richer areas would be cleaned up.
The museum steps and the park he runs through are not all littered.
But the rest of the world he navigates is run-down, grubby and filthy. You'd see the same type of thing in all sorts of areas on NYC too. People were working and scrounging for cash, but their environment is no different from a slum in the third world. For me, I just don't understand that happening in the wealthiest country in the world.

he worked at the docs.

Yeah "worked" as a leg breaker for a loan shark.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #12050 on: September 03, 2019, 03:16:59 PM »
I think its a great observation. Anti capitalist rant:
(click to show/hide)

My favourite rocky movies are-
Rocky Balboa (It moves me more than the others)
Rocky (A genuine masterpiece. Objectively the 'best' one)
Creed (incredibly well made and acted)
Rocky 4 (purely for nostalgia and snow training)
Rocky 2 (Definitely 'better' than 4)
Rocky 3 (Mr T.)
Creed 2( Havent seen it yet)

Rocky 5

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12051 on: September 03, 2019, 04:03:28 PM »

OK a working class slum.

Garbage and littering were something of an American past-time, but the richer areas would be cleaned up.
The museum steps and the park he runs through are not all littered.
But the rest of the world he navigates is run-down, grubby and filthy. You'd see the same type of thing in all sorts of areas on NYC too. People were working and scrounging for cash, but their environment is no different from a slum in the third world. For me, I just don't understand that happening in the wealthiest country in the world.

he worked at the docs.

Yeah "worked" as a leg breaker for a loan shark.

In the 70s even the rich parts of town in the northeast were grimy and covered with garbage, especially the highways. People just through stuff out of their car windows, I remember my parents doing it. There were other reasons it got out of hand in big cities such as garbage strikes where it took years to clean out some places, car exhaust was dirtier, Snow management added to the grime and dirt.  That was just city living. The actual slums and housing projects in the 70s were really disgusting and very different.

Its not like that anymore, everything changed, anti litter campaigns, reduction in smoking, better logistics for garbage and cleanup, less mob influence over garbage, gentrification. If you go to those areas in the films now you see a big difference, you see a difference when watching Rocky Balboa compared to Rocky.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #12052 on: September 03, 2019, 04:31:57 PM »
Its not like that anymore, everything changed, anti litter campaigns, reduction in smoking, better logistics for garbage and cleanup, less mob influence over garbage, gentrification. If you go to those areas in the films now you see a big difference, you see a difference when watching Rocky Balboa compared to Rocky.

Come to LA and I'll show you places that will turn your stomach. Some just a mile or two from some of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the world.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #12053 on: September 03, 2019, 04:47:44 PM »
I walked those streets of Philadelphia twenty years ago, and none of them were slums.   I cannot speak to times thirty years earlier, before I was born, but your description of solid working-class immigrant neighborhoods, seamas, smacks of classism, to me.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 04:50:23 PM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12054 on: September 03, 2019, 05:15:24 PM »
In the 70s even the rich parts of town in the northeast were grimy and covered with garbage, especially the highways.

No, the rich parts of the cities were not covered in grime. I'm 52 and remember the 70s just fine, thank you.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12055 on: September 03, 2019, 05:18:54 PM »
I walked those streets of Philadelphia twenty years ago, and none of them were slums.   I cannot speak to times thirty years earlier, before I was born, but your description of solid working-class immigrant neighborhoods, seamas, smacks of classism, to me.

It's how it is depicted in the movie. A threadbare slum with drunks passed out in the street. The whole point of those scenes is to show how desperate and empty the place is.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12056 on: September 03, 2019, 05:54:51 PM »
Been to the favelas on the outskirts of Rio?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12057 on: September 03, 2019, 06:43:57 PM »

It's how it is depicted in the movie. A threadbare slum with drunks passed out in the street. The whole point of those scenes is to show how desperate and empty the place is.

I think my disagreement with you is just over a word, I don't think "slum" when I see Rocky, I see the streets of Philadelphia in the 70s in Italian/Irish neighborhoods. Mostly lower middle and middle class workers with plenty of upper class mixed in . Pauly owned a rowhouse, probably his parents house passed down. Rockys apartment was kinda crappy but it had two rooms.  I bet that place costs $2500 in today's monthly rent.

While it was a downtrodden area with people struggling live its not my vision of a "slum" and not even close to a big city housing project area.

If you lived in that area then you have a different memory of it than I do. I remember the burbs were clean but most of the smaller townships and bigger cities were dirty with drunks in the streets and groups of guys hanging out on the corner by a bar. The roads were trashed.

I had a gig helping a guy pick up produce and seafood at the docs in Philly and returning to Allentown deliver to restaurants in the early 80s. I only did it a few times at age 15 but it was an interesting learning experience. It was a rough place but not a slum.

Been to the favelas on the outskirts of Rio?

I imagine our slums are a paradise compared to some in other countries (not to downplay the hardships of anyone currently living in one in any location.)

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12058 on: September 04, 2019, 05:14:20 AM »
I traveled every chance I got when I was in the Navy. Slept in 72 countries. We may have places in the US that rival the hell holes in other countries, but they would be few and far between.

Don't get me wrong, there is beauty and majesty to be found in every country I visited, but those places just accentuated the desolated places.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12059 on: September 05, 2019, 11:08:28 AM »

I think my disagreement with you is just over a word, I don't think "slum" when I see Rocky, I see the streets of Philadelphia in the 70s in Italian/Irish neighborhoods.

I don't gauge a slum buy the ethnicity of the people. Contrary to popular belief, poor people work.

personate-rain