Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 675271 times)

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #12060 on: September 05, 2019, 11:22:22 AM »
That as a "solid working class neighborhood" back then. Haven't been there for a good long while.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #12061 on: September 05, 2019, 02:35:16 PM »
That as a "solid working class neighborhood" back then. Haven't been there for a good long while.

Yea I don’t think he gets what’s is being said.  Possibly never seen a real slum or more likely Latinist was right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12062 on: September 06, 2019, 07:53:55 PM »
Watching "Rodan", with subtitles. ku/juu
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #12063 on: September 07, 2019, 11:52:57 PM »
The Dead Don't Die (2019): Feels like Jim Jarmusch made this one night he got drunk.
Mooohn!

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12064 on: September 08, 2019, 02:47:01 AM »
"Apollo 11", a very cool doco.  Loved it.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12065 on: September 08, 2019, 06:21:00 AM »
"Apollo 11", a very cool doco.  Loved it.
Have you seen "First Man"?

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #12066 on: September 08, 2019, 06:11:03 PM »
IT:Chapter 2   4/10

Just finished the post film  dissection in the pub. Its hard to find a good thing to say about this film.

Visually its good. Theres some funny lines in it.
The writing is the problem. Its SO bad. Theres a weird homophobia subplot thing that goes nowhere and makes no sense.
Mike gets fuck all screen time despite being the one indispensible character. At one point he hides under a rock while all the others are having their character development moments. We establish that his parents were maybe crackheads?
Things just get left all over the place and ultimately it just goes the same way as the last one. Why are they still scared of Pennywise at all? The dialogue is cringe inducing and the final showdown just feels like a videogame boss fight.
Pennywise follows no consistent rules in when he can or cant hurt or kill people ( It seems like he can do it whenever, but just doesnt. Don't gimme that 'he relishes fear' shit either because he just eats non main characters left and right)

So disappointing. So tone deaf. So tropey.
It was never going to live up to the first one but it could have just been a serviceable film and I would have been delighted.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 03:29:46 AM by Harry Black »

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12067 on: September 08, 2019, 06:37:51 PM »
"Creatures Time Forgot", part of the four movie "Cavegirl" arc from Hammer Films. -∞/10 Cute cave boys and girls just tryin' to get along in a cruel, hostile world.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #12068 on: September 09, 2019, 08:30:16 AM »
Blues Brothers 9/10

Caught it on a Canadian movie channel. I forgot how fun this movie was. It's a shame we lost Belushi but Dan Aykroyd was such an animated talent. It's a shame he kind of lost his edge. A lot of cars (103 in fact) were destroyed in this movie. That was a record for a time. The sequel Blues Brothers 2000 purposely destroyed 1 extra car to take the new record. Oddly, somehow got it into my mind there have been multiple attempts to revive the Blue Brothers franchise. Huh. But it appears Blues Brothers 2000 was the only attempt. Some films you just can't recapture the magic. You can't recapture the Star Wars trilogy, for example.

Carrie Fisher is just hilarious as jilted bride.

The White Power neo Nazi subplot, amazingly, might not make it into a film today for fear of pissing off Trump voters. Ugh.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 08:32:37 AM by mindme »
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12069 on: September 09, 2019, 11:28:02 AM »
Blues Brothers 9/10

Caught it on a Canadian movie channel. I forgot how fun this movie was. It's a shame we lost Belushi but Dan Aykroyd was such an animated talent. It's a shame he kind of lost his edge. A lot of cars (103 in fact) were destroyed in this movie. That was a record for a time. The sequel Blues Brothers 2000 purposely destroyed 1 extra car to take the new record. Oddly, somehow got it into my mind there have been multiple attempts to revive the Blue Brothers franchise. Huh. But it appears Blues Brothers 2000 was the only attempt. Some films you just can't recapture the magic. You can't recapture the Star Wars trilogy, for example.

Carrie Fisher is just hilarious as jilted bride.

The White Power neo Nazi subplot, amazingly, might not make it into a film today for fear of pissing off Trump voters. Ugh.
One of the cool aspects of that movie was that the members of the band were some of the people who recorded the original soul and blues songs of the 60s. Steve Cropper and Duck Dunn, members of Booker T and the MGs were the house musicians for Stax records--playing on almost everything that came out of that label/studio for years.
There's no such thing as denial.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12070 on: September 09, 2019, 11:46:22 AM »
Don't forget 'Retha, baby!

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #12071 on: September 09, 2019, 10:03:30 PM »
Official Secrets (2019) - 9.5/10

Based on a true story.  Riveting, if you don't already know the ending.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12072 on: September 10, 2019, 07:33:46 PM »
Don't forget 'Retha, baby!

That goes without saying.

Also in the movie: A young Chaka Kahn is in the chorus of the church where James Brown is the reverend.

Playing along side John Lee Hooker is Pinetop Perkins (the guy who argues over the authorship of Boom Boom) and Luther “Guitar Jr.” Johnson.
There's no such thing as denial.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #12073 on: September 10, 2019, 07:35:18 PM »
IT:Chapter 24/10

Just finished the post film  dissection in the pub. Its hard to find a good thing to say about this film.

Visually its good. Theres some funny lines in it.
The writing is the problem. Its SO bad. Theres a weird homophobia subplot thing that goes nowhere and makes no sense.
Mike gets fuck all screen time despite being the one indispensible character. At one point he hides under a rock while all the others are having their character development moments. We establish that his parents were maybe crackheads?
Things just get left all over the place and ultimately it just goes the same way as the last one. Why are they still scared of Pennywise at all? The dialogue is cringe inducing and the final showdown just feels like a videogame boss fight.
Pennywise follows no consistent rules in when he can or cant hurt or kill people ( It seems like he can do it whenever, but just doesnt. Don't gimme that 'he relishes fear' shit either because he just eats non main characters left and right)

So disappointing. So tone deaf. So tropey.
It was never going to live up to the first one but it could have just been a serviceable film and I would have been delighted.

I thought you were giving this a 24/10 and I was like wow he really liked it.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #12074 on: September 11, 2019, 03:30:23 AM »
Lol! Fixed!
I didnt hate it. It just made me sad.