Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 676273 times)

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #12105 on: September 19, 2019, 09:25:59 AM »
Carrying on from Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Star Trek VII-X.

(click to show/hide)

Generations. Crap.

First Contact. Good.

Insurrection. Crap.

Nemesis. Crap.

If you want to watch some fantastic critiques of these films, I suggest you check out the Plinkett reviews from Red Letter Media.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlRg7cW0DLPZVyuFqqxA-PKdDbzo_GZ-L

Plinkett really lost his mojo after the starwars reviews.

I'm not sure he's ever done anything quite as good and revolutionary as the Episode 1 review, but I would disagree if you're implying his other reviews aren't solid and insightful.

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #12106 on: September 19, 2019, 10:09:32 AM »
Carrying on from Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Star Trek VII-X.

(click to show/hide)

Generations. Crap.

First Contact. Good.

Insurrection. Crap.

Nemesis. Crap.

If you want to watch some fantastic critiques of these films, I suggest you check out the Plinkett reviews from Red Letter Media.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlRg7cW0DLPZVyuFqqxA-PKdDbzo_GZ-L

Plinkett really lost his mojo after the starwars reviews.

I'm not sure he's ever done anything quite as good and revolutionary as the Episode 1 review, but I would disagree if you're implying his other reviews aren't solid and insightful.

Nah he's just phoning it in now.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #12107 on: September 19, 2019, 02:16:03 PM »
I started to find the schtick of being able to remember barely any plot or character details from the movie he watched to be very irritating after a while. With one or two films it was charming but he seemed to be barely watching anything and showing up to say how little he gave a shit.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #12108 on: September 19, 2019, 03:49:06 PM »
Meh. Agree to disagree I guess. I liked all his Trek reviews.

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12109 on: September 19, 2019, 06:46:03 PM »
Meh. Agree to disagree I guess. I liked all his Trek reviews.
I never watched those to be fair.
But I was a big fan for ages, I wouldnt begrudge anyone their enjoyment!
Their production value has always massively impressed me.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #12110 on: September 19, 2019, 10:06:34 PM »
Avengers: Endgame. 3/10. Finally came out on disc. I had low expectations and it fell short of even those. It was a jumbled and confused mess. I recognized some of the characters, but there were many I did not recognize. Of course, the time-travel thing was bound to take a couple of stars off it for me.

(click to show/hide)

I think I could have written a better sequel to the Infinity War movie.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #12111 on: September 20, 2019, 01:09:54 AM »
Endgame worked for me for two reasons despite being massively inferior to Infinity War. It hit all the emotional notes a film like this should have and the final act was fantastic to watch.  For me at least, despite its flaws those things make me want to watch the movie repeatedly and that's a lot more than I can say for a number of other Marvel movies which may have been structurally more sound.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #12112 on: September 20, 2019, 05:30:27 AM »
Avengers: Endgame. 3/10. Finally came out on disc. I had low expectations and it fell short of even those. It was a jumbled and confused mess. I recognized some of the characters, but there were many I did not recognize. Of course, the time-travel thing was bound to take a couple of stars off it for me.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #12113 on: September 20, 2019, 09:30:16 AM »

(click to show/hide)

I didn't go so far as giving it a 3 (I reserve numbers less than 5 for total dreck) but I agree that you could have written a better movie.  I think they fell into a common trap I am seeing in more and more movies lately, where subverting expectations is taken so far as to make the plot stupid.  cough *last jedi* cough.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline bimble

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #12114 on: September 20, 2019, 10:35:28 AM »

(click to show/hide)

Not sure if it needs to be spoilered (are there that many people who haven't seen it yet?)
(click to show/hide)

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #12115 on: September 20, 2019, 02:43:32 PM »

(click to show/hide)

Not sure if it needs to be spoilered (are there that many people who haven't seen it yet?)
(click to show/hide)

Thanks. I was once called out for not spoilering something about a movie I had assumed everyone had already seen. So I try to err on the side of caution now.

Plus, the movie just now came out on disc. People like me who don't go to theaters only now have the opportunity to see it. I'd wait a month before I'd assume that everyone who wants to see it will have seen it.

Though if they take my advice they won't bother.  ;)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12116 on: September 20, 2019, 03:28:08 PM »
I still have like 4 Star Trek series to watch.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #12117 on: September 20, 2019, 06:39:54 PM »
Sky High
Really fun 2005 superhero movie. Son of famous heroes goes to superhero highschool and starts with the side kicks but gets catapulted to popularity when he discovers his powers.
This movie was really fun and had a really good cast! My first time watching it and I was quite charmed.
Oh wow, that's the Korean one, right? Haven't thought of that in a while, but I remember it fondly.
"Sky High" starred Kurt Russell, IIRC.
Thats the one!

Huh... Looking at some screenshots I'm not actually sure that's a different movie, but for whatever reason my mind just screamed "Korean". I guess I must've watched it back to back with a Korean film once? The mind works in mysterious ways sometimes.
Mooohn!

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #12118 on: September 20, 2019, 07:00:17 PM »
Sky High
Really fun 2005 superhero movie. Son of famous heroes goes to superhero highschool and starts with the side kicks but gets catapulted to popularity when he discovers his powers.
This movie was really fun and had a really good cast! My first time watching it and I was quite charmed.
Oh wow, that's the Korean one, right? Haven't thought of that in a while, but I remember it fondly.
"Sky High" starred Kurt Russell, IIRC.
Thats the one!

Huh... Looking at some screenshots I'm not actually sure that's a different movie, but for whatever reason my mind just screamed "Korean". I guess I must've watched it back to back with a Korean film once? The mind works in mysterious ways sometimes.
It's two nibble and a bite away from anime.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12119 on: September 22, 2019, 06:11:33 PM »
Rambo: Last Blood 6/10
A mean spirited and tone deaf addition to the old man revenge fantasy genre.
Its less a Rambo movie and more Taken starring Rambo and the border wall.
It is the most viscerally violent Rambo movie its also somehow the most shallow despite its voice over monologue at the end and the lingering shots of Stallones craggy face.
The final kill is really fucking stupid and....
(click to show/hide)
Go rewatch Man on Fire instead.
Its a shame, because the first 30min made me think it was going somewhere interesting or fun.

Edit- Maybe go see it if you want to watch a slasher film from the perspective of the monster.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 06:13:58 PM by Harry Black »

personate-rain