Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 676744 times)

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #12300 on: November 16, 2019, 05:43:09 PM »
Too much coffee can affect your driving. Having a large meal before driving can make you drowsy. Etc.

So?
I hath been lain low by thy rapier wit.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #12301 on: November 16, 2019, 06:22:09 PM »
The Wandering Earth 5/10 - if you suspend all reality, ignore the plot holes and constant questions from your brain, you can watch some neat cgi.

Definitely leave your brain at the door for that one.  ;)

I was disappointed though, being it's from a story by Liu Cixin. It makes me wary of what a director would do with "The Three-Body Problem"  ???

As a piece of popcorn fluff sci-fi, it was watchable and I'm not sorry I watched it. 5/10 sounds about right.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #12302 on: November 16, 2019, 09:28:28 PM »
Too much coffee can affect your driving. Having a large meal before driving can make you drowsy. Etc.

So?
I hath been lain low by thy rapier wit.

;D
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #12303 on: November 16, 2019, 11:12:57 PM »
Dolemite Is My Name - 8.5/10

what I didnt expect was the pure heart that this film has. Every triumph and challenge faced by the core characters really translates across and keeps you ticking along and rooting for them.

Definitely.  I expected straight comedy.  This was like a 50:50 split between Comedy:Success Story.  There were no bad guys.  Just obstacles and overcoming.  Lots of heart.  I really liked this one. 
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #12304 on: November 17, 2019, 04:05:42 AM »
Jay and Silent Bob Reboot 7/10 

The film is what you would expect but what I really enjoyed about it was the family aspect. Harley (Smiths daughter) has a staring role and she is becoming a pretty good actor. All the old regulars from just about every film come back which made it a fun film to watch.

I went to the road show where Keven Smith and Jay introduced the film and stuck around for a Q&A after. It was great fun watching the film with a group of die hard fans in a small stage theater as opposed to a movieplex. The first show sold out on the first day but they were nice enough to hold at second one at 11:30pm which is how I got to go. we didn't finish till 3

He told a great story about George Carlin who was talking about how much he hated all modern music. He had already heard it all and was sick of all of it, he now listens to jazz. Smith said "You like jazz?" Carlin said, " no, I cant stand it but it pisses other people off when I play it and that's what I like about it."  He wears a Carlin shirt in the film to give him a cameo of sorts.

Its official, they will be making both Clerks 3 and Mallrats 2 which they didn't think they were going to be able to do but the studio who worked on this film owns the rights and had such a good experience that they will let him make another.  YEA!

Back to the film, I think my favorite quote was from Harleys character. Its a minor one liner but I put it in a spoiler just in case.

(click to show/hide)

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #12305 on: November 18, 2019, 08:56:59 AM »
Joker 9/10

I really hate super hero origin stories but this one is the exception. It's less a super hero story and more like a think piece on mental illness, governments and the rich who lack compassion, and violence. If the central character wasn't Joker and it was just a movie about that, it would have stood on its own. De Niro in the Jerry Lewis role from King of Comedy was a nice turn.

"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #12306 on: November 18, 2019, 11:02:57 AM »
Trying out Disney+ for the fam, so:

Brave - 7/10

A good film with an empowering message.  Moana is better.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12307 on: November 18, 2019, 01:00:52 PM »

Brave - 7/10

But the wood carver was cool.  ;D
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #12308 on: November 18, 2019, 01:53:22 PM »

Brave - 7/10

Fan Theory theory, the wood carver is Boo from Monsters Inc that time travelled back to create the doors to the monster world.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12309 on: November 18, 2019, 02:42:18 PM »

Brave - 7/10

Fan Theory theory, the wood carver is Boo from Monsters Inc that time travelled back to create the doors to the monster world.
Well, that's done and sort then.

Offline swan

• Off to a Start
  • Whatever happened to the Principle of Charity?
« Reply #12310 on: November 19, 2019, 12:26:25 AM »
Dora and the Lost City of Gold (2018) - 2/10

Number 2 specifically because Nickelodeon insists jamming tons of scatological "humor" into all their content. Even worse, it couldn't decide if it wanted to be reality based or silly fantasy. It was a waste of some very good actors.

For a much better Dora the Explorer parody watch College Humor's trailer for "The Search for the Infinity Orb"

(...followed by their three-part follow-up "Dora the Explorer and the Destiny Medallion")

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12311 on: November 19, 2019, 07:07:35 AM »
Bondage movie?

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #12312 on: November 19, 2019, 08:48:24 AM »
Jupiter Ascending
6/10
A for effort...but wow what a mess.  A classic example of why less is more.  There is an decent story buried in there under tons exposition and once all that is over, the movie becomes watchable.  But that first 30 minutes is dreck.  They needed to do two things
1)  streamline the backstory and simplify the world building, so much of this movie is just explanations of made up terms that could have just been expunged.
2)  When Jupiter learns her big secret, she needs to undergo some sort of transformation.  Her character doesn't really have an arc. 
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #12313 on: November 19, 2019, 08:49:00 AM »
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12314 on: November 19, 2019, 12:13:31 PM »
Jupiter Ascending
6/10
A for effort...but wow what a mess.  A classic example of why less is more.  There is an decent story buried in there under tons exposition and once all that is over, the movie becomes watchable.  But that first 30 minutes is dreck.  They needed to do two things
1)  streamline the backstory and simplify the world building, so much of this movie is just explanations of made up terms that could have just been expunged.
2)  When Jupiter learns her big secret, she needs to undergo some sort of transformation.  Her character doesn't really have an arc.
And she does exactly nothing about the harvesting of whole planetfuls of humanish people. Thanos would love her.

personate-rain
personate-rain