Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 351212 times)

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #8250 on: January 11, 2017, 04:50:37 PM »
Well, maybe if you liked what you saw in the theater.

Moving on. Just watched En man som heter Ove (A man called Ove, 2015): Very good humorous character drama about an old curmudgeon who is really bad at committing suicide and who begrudgingly befriends his new neighbors. 8/10

Edit: And also Byzantium (2012): Pretty good vampire movie. Interesting spin on the vampire mythos. A bit bleak, but I guess that's kind of fitting for the genre. Saoirse Ronan has a certain something. Nicely filmed. 8-/10
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 07:23:03 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #8251 on: January 12, 2017, 06:29:55 PM »
Watched two movies tonight:

Koning van Katoren (2012): Another movie after a popular Dutch teen/childrens fantasy book (one of my favorites) about a guy who has to fulfill a number of herculean tasks to become king. For Dutch standards this actually had surprisingly good production values, and the acting wasn't bad either. It could've used a bit of editing though, as some scenes lingered a bit. And they didn't stay very close to the book; they modernized things quite a bit, which worked for the most part. They changed some of the assignments (and dropped a few because of time constraints), and they changed one of the characters rather dramatically. It's a bit of a kids movie but I still enjoyed it. I give it a 7+/10.

Drinking Buddies (2013): Did I find this in this thread? Not sure. Anyway, dramedy about a love rectangle (kind of). It's one of those true to life movies where the characters and situations are all depicted in a pretty realistic fashion. More drama than comedy, but it's pretty light-hearted overall. Acting was great. 7.5/10.
Mooohn!

Offline kendranoelle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #8252 on: January 14, 2017, 06:14:58 AM »
Recently re-watched Con Air

A++++ would watch again. 90s cheesefests (and Nicolas Cage) are my faaaaaves.

A definite 11/10

(This is not sarcastic or facetious- I mean all of the things)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #8253 on: January 14, 2017, 07:18:23 AM »
Nicolas Cage has done some really great movies and some really shitty ones
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #8254 on: January 14, 2017, 08:58:02 AM »
"Passengers" Loved it. The kind of "outer space" movie I liked as  kid. (That being the past 65 years.) Visually stunning, plot was predictable as soon as Preston wakes up, if you've seen the trailers. Solution To Problem: Standard.

8/10
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #8255 on: January 14, 2017, 12:03:25 PM »
"Passengers" Loved it. The kind of "outer space" movie I liked as  kid. (That being the past 65 years.) Visually stunning, plot was predictable as soon as Preston wakes up, if you've seen the trailers. Solution To Problem: Standard.

8/10

SPOILERS beyond this point! Don't read further if you want to see Passengers cold! Turn back now!

Most people who have seen/reviewed this movie find Pratt's act of waking up Lawrence to be utterly loathsome and irredeemable. Even if the film tries to paper over it in the third act by having it be necessary for there to be two people to fix the meteor damage and Lawrence's character coming to realizes that she has fallen in love  after all and forgives him. While I enjoyed the film as a pretty piece of sci-fi lite fluff, I'm not sure I entirely buy that either. WOuld she REALLY forgive him for condemning her to die on that ship? Isn't what Pratt did a kind of...rape? By waking her up and by him being the only male she will EVER encounter for the rest of her life....didn't he in effect FORCE himself on her?

Other questions I had while watching the film:

It's established the the colonists will wake up six months from entering orbit around their destination planet. This explains all the amenities  and food provided by the ship, that Pratt's and Lawrence's characters use to keep themselves alive after being woken up 90 years early. BUT....why is life support--artificial gravity, air, heat---running full time so soon? Why would you have full life support running on a ship with a crew in hibernation?  You could say  life support coming on so early is another malfunction of the meteor strike. But none of the characters remark on this...or worry that if it is a malfunction that life support could just cut off again at any time.

Lawrence says she planned on returning to Earth on a return colony ship. Why would there be a RETURN ship? Hibernation colony ships would be a one-way deal. It's established it takes close to 200 years to get to Homestead the planet. That's far too long  a distance/time interval for any kind of trade, unless Homestead has some resource not found on Earth. And after close to 400 years away from Earth, how could Lawrence's character ever have fit back into society? I just can't see why there would be a return ship.   

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
« Reply #8256 on: January 14, 2017, 04:22:40 PM »

A definite 11/10

My 15th annual viewing of The Rock with my best friend is coming up in a week or so! Cant fucking WAIT!!

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #8257 on: January 14, 2017, 05:14:04 PM »
Paul Blevins Jr.

More spoilers.

That ship made round trips. Fishburne said he'd made several. Why would it be otherwise? That's a lot of ship for a one-way trip.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #8258 on: January 14, 2017, 05:18:30 PM »

8/10

SPOILERS beyond this point! Don't read further if you want to see Passengers cold! Turn back now!

Most people who have seen/reviewed this movie find Pratt's act of waking up Lawrence to be utterly loathsome and irredeemable. Even if the film tries to paper over it in the third act by having it be necessary for there to be two people to fix the meteor damage and Lawrence's character coming to realizes that she has fallen in love  after all and forgives him. While I enjoyed the film as a pretty piece of sci-fi lite fluff, I'm not sure I entirely buy that either. WOuld she REALLY forgive him for condemning her to die on that ship? Isn't what Pratt did a kind of...rape? By waking her up and by him being the only male she will EVER encounter for the rest of her life....didn't he in effect FORCE himself on her?

It's established the the colonists will wake up six months from entering orbit around their destination planet. This explains all the amenities  and food provided by the ship, that Pratt's and Lawrence's characters use to keep themselves alive after being woken up 90 years early. BUT....why is life support--artificial gravity, air, heat---running full time so soon? Why would you have full life support running on a ship with a crew in hibernation?  You could say  life support coming on so early is another malfunction of the meteor strike. But none of the characters remark on this...or worry that if it is a malfunction that life support could just cut off again at any time.

Lawrence says she planned on returning to Earth on a return colony ship. Why would there be a RETURN ship? Hibernation colony ships would be a one-way deal. It's established it takes close to 200 years to get to Homestead the planet. That's far too long  a distance/time interval for any kind of trade, unless Homestead has some resource not found on Earth. And after close to 400 years away from Earth, how could Lawrence's character ever have fit back into society? I just can't see why there would be a return ship.
(click to show/hide)
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #8259 on: January 14, 2017, 06:50:12 PM »

A definite 11/10

My 15th annual viewing of The Rock with my best friend is coming up in a week or so! Cant fucking WAIT!!

Why happened with Bay in later movies - Transformers, Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, etc? 
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline alexbutterfield

• Frequent Poster
  • Wins with Town
« Reply #8260 on: January 14, 2017, 07:32:39 PM »
Under the Shadow - 8.5/10

An Iranian horror movie. Reminded me in parts of The Devil's Backbone. Very creepy, very tense. It's on Netflix right now. I recommend it.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #8261 on: January 14, 2017, 09:59:31 PM »

8/10

they 100% ameliorate your issues by
(click to show/hide)
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline lubbarin

• Well Established
« Reply #8262 on: January 15, 2017, 01:26:46 AM »

A definite 11/10

Why happened with Bay in later movies - Transformers, Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, etc?
Complications of gigantic piles of money-itis.
I defend the modern spectacle, but even I don't try to back up MB.

Of course, I can't imagine him giving any kind of f*** about that, because he could buy and sell me using only the value of his poolside deck furniture.
I am in favor of killing all whales on principle. Where is my avalanche of 'provocateur' money?

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
« Reply #8263 on: January 15, 2017, 08:50:03 AM »

A definite 11/10

My guess is he isolated the parts of his movies that most people were paying for and focused on that.
His style appeals to the lowest common denominator and translates easily to audiences who dont speak english.
I have a feeling he regrets nothing.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #8264 on: January 15, 2017, 08:59:48 AM »
My guess is he isolated the parts of his movies that most people were paying for and focused on that.
His style appeals to the lowest common denominator and translates easily to audiences who dont speak english.
I have a feeling he regrets nothing.

There are differences on why I have issues with different movies
Pearl Harbor - Historic inaccuracies which talking to any military history expert (or even buff) could fix in five minutes without changing the movie much. People with military history background have the same problems with military issues as science enthusiasts have with movies which have BS science.
Armageddon - I believe that Phil Platt said they actually had a science advisor. Phil seemed to give an "Oh God" reaction.
Transformers - These were different in that many of the human characters just were not likable. Many were shitheads and/or idiots. Some of the secondary characters actually were likeable than the main characters.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain
personate-rain