Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 350642 times)

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #8775 on: March 18, 2017, 04:01:55 PM »
The Big Short (2015): Second viewing... This movie is amazing. I don't know much about economics (although I've been taking a few video courses recently), and the first time I saw this was the first time I had any clue what went on in 2007. Their way of cutting through the bullshit jargon with hilarious explanations works really well to make it all understandable. They did a great job exposing the fraudulence and stupidity and actually making a movie about financial issues exciting and dramatic, which I imagine is not an easy thing to do. I'm kind of glad I was a misanthrope and a cynic to begin with, because it's enough to make you feel sick. 9+/10

I feel like this movie could create a genre. Its so unique. I tried to look at other movies like this, but found there were very very few.

Explaining boring, but important topics in dynamic ways, in order to educate the public.Imagine if historical movies were made in the style of this one. Imagine a movie about the great depression in this style. For some topics, attaching characters with arcs that we care about to the information makes it much easier to learn.

I hope more like it are made.

My students always ask to watch movies...and there's a reason.  It just doesn't engage your brain.  Movies are at best a good way to explain why you should study something in detail later.  There's no free lunch, the only way to learn anything is hard work and practice.
Yeah, I don't think I agree with this, like, at all. The whole point of narrative fiction isn't to boil something that is complicated into something that is simple, it's to shine a light on something that makes you, the comsumer, want to think more about that thing. The Big Short doesn't work because it's the *end* of a search for knowledge, it works because it makes people want to *begin* that search.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #8776 on: March 18, 2017, 05:51:56 PM »
Rogue One (2016): Finally saw this tonight. It was awesome. It's great even as a movie onto itself, but it's also an excellent addition to the Star Wars saga. Finally we have a post-OT Star Wars movie that lives up to the originals. It also resolves some plot holes from episode IV (like why they designed the Death Star so poorly that it could be taken out by a single torpedo). 9+/10
Mooohn!

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
« Reply #8777 on: March 18, 2017, 07:42:16 PM »
Kong:Skull Island 8/10

Standard helicopters vs giant ape movie. Seen one, seen em all >:D
This film is awesome. The visuals are great, the fights are kinetic, the island itself just keeps you guessing and throws so many surprises that most scenes inspire a sense of dread and wonder.
John C Reilly is on point with the comedy and is really the heart of the movie. This is very much his story.
I knew lots of the points of criticism before I went in but I have to say I disagree with most.
Hiddleston was good, Larson was cool, Jackson was interesting as a cross between Col Kurtz and Ahab. His intensity sold me.
There were a few silly decisions that I rolled my eyes at but all in all myself and my 12 year old niece had a great time.

The final scene was a bit overdone and the post credit scene wasnt all that great.

Its even more fun if you view this as an origin for Nick Fury, guided by a manipulative Loki.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #8778 on: March 18, 2017, 08:59:10 PM »
Sorcerer (1977): Four guys are tasked with transporting cases of unstable dynamite through the South American jungle in trucks. This movie is really nerve wrecking, and it's gorgeous. My main issue with it is that the build up to the actual meat of the film feels excessively long even by 1970s standards. Still, it's worth the wait. 8+/10
Mooohn!

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #8779 on: March 19, 2017, 05:33:29 PM »
The Great Wall (2016): This was an entertaining fantasy movie featuring the Chinese Great Wall in a not particularly historically correct setting of a monster horde attack. It's got a slight bit of the Mighty Whitey trope going on, but thankfully not so much that the white guys are the only competent people in it. It's one of those movies that looks like an A movie but feels like a (fun) B movie. The scenery is gorgeous (especially some of the brief scenes in the desert hills, which have a bit of this kind of thing going on:

note: not a screenshot, since I couldn't find any). The Wall's defensive army is very pretty and has nice choreography, but their tactics make almost no sense whatsoever (they have a super effective giant sword thing that they only use during one of several attacks). The story is paper thin and full of holes, but I didn't really mind. The CGI reminded me of Godzilla (1998) in that, like Godzilla's babies in that movie, it looked a bit meh and all the monsters look exactly the same. And, like that movie, it's not a great movie at all, but it's pretty fun to watch. 7-/10
Mooohn!

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #8780 on: March 19, 2017, 07:10:54 PM »
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (2016): Dear God, will someone please give the editor of this movie a very large dose of Ritalin? During the action scenes, the camera angles change literally 3 times a second. Outside of the action scenes... well, actually, there really isn't much outside of those scenes, but what little there is, while a lot better, still feels extremely hyperactive. I don't need six different angles on someone taking a knife out of it's scabbard, OK movie? There is zero time to process anything; I didn't even have time to get scared of thefreakingmutantmonsterbeforeit'skilledbysomeguyIdidn'tevenrealizewasintheroomandwe'vealreadymovedonwithaonelinersoshortitdoesn'tevenregister. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the RE series. In fact, I don't remember anything about any of the other movies except for the first one, which was OK as far as it goes. So I knew none of the secondary characters that I'm supposed to know, and I didn't care at all as these unfamiliar faces perished one after another (or, more frequently, several at a time). I could tell who the main secondary bad guy was mainly because he was such a badass that he chose to wear dark sunglasses in his dimly lit underground lair. In typical villain style, he can kill the protagonists pretty much at any point during the movie, but instead he decides to let them into the Hive and takes them out one at a time. The acting is fine, as far as it goes but the characters are so zero dimensional, they're indistinguishable from nothing. But it doesn't really matter anyway, as the movie has about as much substance as the vacuum of outer space - though to it's credit, it never pretends to be anything it isn't. There is, as far as I can tell, no real story beyond "mankind is doomed unless I get to the antivirus in 48 hours, better kill everything in my path including most of what remains of the humans" (well, except for the inevitable plot twist). The motivations of the bad guys make zero sense (I'll spoil it for you: We're facing an apocalyptic future because of climate change and overpopulation. Better murder all the humans! Also bible!).
Actually, I think this might be a moderately entertaining mindless non-stop action horror movie if your brain actually had time to process all of the visuals they're throwing at you. As it is, though, it's not even that. Just an endless stream of weakly correlated images that pass in front of your eyes in a blur. With someone like Milla Jovovich in the lead, they should really have been able to produce something much better than this. It's not even got enough of a story to be a dumb story, really.  Almost bad enough to be "so bad, it's good", but not quite. 4/10
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 08:12:57 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #8781 on: March 19, 2017, 10:15:22 PM »
The Good Dinosaur is like a higher quality Ice Age with no young Earth creationism thrown in.  Or it's a better Land Before Time remake than all of the sequels.  Or it's Old Yeller on acid with dinosaurs.  Okay, it's a quality kid's movie.
To err is human.  To syntax error is System.NullReferenceException

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #8782 on: March 19, 2017, 11:32:43 PM »
Treasure Planet.

Most fun I've had watching a movie in years. But that might have been the setting - in a blanket fort with kiddo for an impromptu slumber party.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #8783 on: March 20, 2017, 10:40:57 AM »
Girl on the train 6.5 out 10

A lot slower to gel than I was expecting. Never read the books, more depressing than thriller.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #8784 on: March 20, 2017, 11:37:04 AM »
The Great Wall almost made me cry. Not for the characters, but because the Mythbusters will never test out some of the things they did in the movie. Buster would have been in deadly peril.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #8785 on: March 20, 2017, 06:20:00 PM »
Why Him? (2016): Father-in-law/son-in-law friction comedy. Not terrible, but not very good. I dunno... they could've made James Franco's character a little more over-the-top, because as it was, it seemed that Bryan Cranston's character mostly disliked him because he cursed a lot, which made him seem petty. Mostly crude jokes about moose urine and bukake, with some other shenanigans thrown in. There weren't too many real laugh-out-loud moments for me but I chuckled a little here and there. Kiss' cameo was kind of a nice touch. 6.5/10
Mooohn!

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #8786 on: March 21, 2017, 02:05:20 PM »
Manchester by the Sea 9/10

Man, that movie is a slow burn that never let's up and then kicks you in the nuts when you least expect it.  I wept like a baby.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #8787 on: March 22, 2017, 05:32:58 PM »
Drop Dead Gorgeous (1999): Mockumentary about a teen beauty pageant with an above average body count. I think I've seen this before, but for some reason, the only thing I remembered about this movie was Alexandra Holden as the anorexic former beauty pageant winner (who is pretty awesome). Anyway, it's a pretty funny movie. I like Denise Richards' failing attempts to profile herself as a do-gooder, like when she
(click to show/hide)
during the talent competition. The suspiciously defensive talent judge is also hilarious:

I give it a 7.5/10.
Mooohn!

Online Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #8788 on: March 22, 2017, 05:50:46 PM »
Wow, murder mockumentary from a guy associated with The State, pre-Office pre-Best in Show pre-Mighty Wind; starring Alison Janney, Matt Molloy, and Kirsten Dunst...?
How have I not heard of this?
Thanks.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #8789 on: March 22, 2017, 06:14:23 PM »
Wow, murder mockumentary from a guy associated with The State, pre-Office pre-Best in Show pre-Mighty Wind; starring Alison Janney, Matt Molloy, and Kirsten Dunst...?
How have I not heard of this?
Thanks.

Glad to be of service! }|:o)