Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 350601 times)

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #8955 on: April 16, 2017, 05:43:01 PM »
At Home by Myself... with You (2009): Seen this twice before. Canadian Indie romcom about a girl (Romy) with some crippling phobias (of opening boxes, lobsters, storms, kissing, and going outside). Since she's completely housebound and can't open boxes, she depends on her friends and especially neighbors to help her survive. When her neighbor dies, and her best friend decides to try out some "tough love" (by abandoning her in the hope that she'll be forced to conquer her fears), this presents Romy with a problem. When the neighbor's son (who has kind of the opposite problem of not being able to stay in one place for long) moves in temporarily, she tries to get him to help her, initially with little success. But later on they start to bond, and he too tries to get her to conquer her fears. It's a cute movie. The acting isn't the greatest (though I've seen far worse in low budget movies), and it's made on a shoestring budget, but all things considered it's not a bad effort at all, especially considering it's the director's feature length debut. It's quirky and very lighthearted. It has a bit of a fairy-tale-like feel. I like the little narrations and the animations that they do to introduce the movie, and the theme of her being a housebound travel agent who kind of goes "on vacation" in her apartment. In fact, I enjoyed it enough that I tried to find a copy online to buy, but so far I haven't found any that are both affordable (30 something bucks is a bit steep) and payable without a credit card (which I don't have). 7.5/10
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 06:06:29 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #8956 on: April 16, 2017, 06:41:30 PM »
Run Fat boy Run

7/10

Fairly well done, but the characters in the movie come off much more as actors playing roles (and haming it up) instead of them pulling me in. Not sure why, it felt like watching scripted improve comedy if that makes any sense. Still good for a laugh, might even inspire you to get back to the gym.

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #8957 on: April 16, 2017, 09:37:00 PM »
The Peanuts Movie - 6/10

Cute enough. A good message. The side story with Snoopy was really entertaining.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
« Reply #8958 on: April 16, 2017, 09:48:28 PM »
The Losers 8/10
Ive reviewed it at least once before but just rewatched it with a friend and its a travesty that this did not get a sequel.
Especially considering the interesting places the graphic novel went after the first book.
Negan, Gamorrah, Captain America and Stringer Bell all having a blast in a balls to the wall action comedy.
If you like shooty stuff and you havent seen it, give it a look!

We also watched Flashpoint Paradox
Which is hands down the best DC movie ever made with the best version of Batman and is possibly the only way they can save the current DC cinematic universe (no matter how good Wonder Woman is)

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #8959 on: April 17, 2017, 10:47:05 AM »
The Amazing Spiderman 2. I have mixed feelings about this one. I think I'll give it 6.5/10, provisionally. I liked the actor who played Peter in the earlier ones better. I like Emma Stone a lot. But what happened to Mary Jane? I thought Peter Parker's girlfriend was Mary Jane, not Gwen something. And I thought the interesting stuff was pushed too far to the later part of the movie.

(click to show/hide)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #8960 on: April 17, 2017, 10:52:11 AM »
The Amazing Spiderman 2. I have mixed feelings about this one. I think I'll give it 6.5/10, provisionally. I liked the actor who played Peter in the earlier ones better. I like Emma Stone a lot. But what happened to Mary Jane? I thought Peter Parker's girlfriend was Mary Jane, not Gwen something. And I thought the interesting stuff was pushed too far to the later part of the movie.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #8961 on: April 17, 2017, 11:00:31 AM »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
Didn't they agree to some sort of revenue sharing thing rather than selling the rights back outright? 

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #8962 on: April 17, 2017, 11:58:28 AM »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
Didn't they agree to some sort of revenue sharing thing rather than selling the rights back outright? 

Disney owns a controlling share of Spidey. But they don't own the X-men or the term 'mutant'.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8963 on: April 17, 2017, 12:58:29 PM »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Yeah, I forgot to comment on Garfield. Peter Parker is a shy weakling before the spider bite turns him into a superhero. Garfield does not look like he ever could have been a weakling. Maguire fit the part much better.

I think it's okay to extract from the spoiler: "from the comics Gwen was Peter's love interest before Mary Jane..."

I've never read any of the comics. When I was little, I read Felix the Cat and Donald Duck. So I have no knowledge of Spiderman's comic-book roots. But I thought (from the first movie) that Peter Parker worshipped Mary Jane from afar (next door) throughout his childhood until his superhero transformation enabled him to approach her, in costume.

(click to show/hide)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #8964 on: April 17, 2017, 12:59:45 PM »
The Void
6/10

I find that most genre, and particularly horror movies are extremely touch and go. It started off great (despite no really likeable actors and meh dialog), but as it veered into the first half hour the problems became apparent, and then multiplied. It was a mess by the end and the antagonist talked wayyyyy too much for the type of film it was. Whatever interesting mystery they had was dissolved by an hour in. There were a lot of comparisons to John Carpenter, which I could kind of see at the beginning, but really by the end it was a mediocre Clive Barker film. Too bad.

The Devil's Candy
8/10
A much better horror movie. I actually liked the characters and the actors are good. It had a decent amount of mystery in it, a few things didn't make a lot of sense, or were left on the table, but all in all enjoyable. They didn't lay into the supernatural too much, which made it more effective.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #8965 on: April 17, 2017, 03:47:33 PM »
The Void
6/10

I find that most genre, and particularly horror movies are extremely touch and go. It started off great (despite no really likeable actors and meh dialog), but as it veered into the first half hour the problems became apparent, and then multiplied. It was a mess by the end and the antagonist talked wayyyyy too much for the type of film it was. Whatever interesting mystery they had was dissolved by an hour in. There were a lot of comparisons to John Carpenter, which I could kind of see at the beginning, but really by the end it was a mediocre Clive Barker film. Too bad.

Funny, I actually thought it got slightly better later on, and I actually liked some of the dialogue (though it was a bit long winded at times). My main issue was the lack of real tension (they tried to build tension but somehow failed) and the fact that they made vague references to what seemed to be character backstories that were never fleshed out. But I more or less agree with your overall verdict.
Mooohn!

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #8966 on: April 17, 2017, 06:21:06 PM »
The Void
6/10

Funny, I actually thought it got slightly better later on, and I actually liked some of the dialogue (though it was a bit long winded at times). My main issue was the lack of real tension (they tried to build tension but somehow failed) and the fact that they made vague references to what seemed to be character backstories that were never fleshed out. But I more or less agree with your overall verdict.
I mean though
(click to show/hide)

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #8967 on: April 17, 2017, 06:21:37 PM »
Kubo and the Two Strings
9/10

Great, fun film and the animation is NUTS.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8968 on: April 18, 2017, 12:56:42 PM »
3 Idiots. 10/10. This is one of the few movies I own, and this is maybe the 3rd or 4th time I've watched it. It is very unfortunate that "Three Idiots" sounds so much like "The Three Stooges" because this is not slapstick nor does it have any of the stupid antics of the Stooges. In fact, the three characters referred to in the title are not idiots at all. They are one brilliant iconoclast and his two friends, who are labelled as idiots by the traditionalist head of their university because the leader among them rejects tradition.

This is Bollywood at its best.

Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #8969 on: April 18, 2017, 01:01:24 PM »
Have you seen Endhiran (Robot)?

personate-rain