Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 333730 times)

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #8985 on: April 19, 2017, 06:42:00 PM »
Were they all filmed in the Philippines?

IMDB says the last three were filmed in South Africa. I thought the second one has a scene where they enter a building with what looks like an ancient Buddhist temple in the backyard, but maybe I'm just getting them mixed up.

EDIT: After scanning through nr. 2 again briefly, I think I'm just conflating my memories from the first one with the second one, so it seems there was no Buddhist temple in the second one.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 08:51:32 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #8986 on: April 19, 2017, 06:47:59 PM »
zootopia
Hard to rate.  I absolutely loved the characters and the world building.  There were some pretty fun jokes and moments.  It's great that Disney not only had enough faith to make a movie with such a strong female character but that it was also such a huge success.  However, the plot was a bit thin and predictable and while it was fun, left me a bit bored.

That being said, and it's been long time since I've felt this way about a movie,  I'm totally down with a sequel.  I think this would make a great half hour series as well.  The character is strong and there is a ton to explore in the world they created. 

soo..7.5/10 for the movie, 10/10 for the effort and the accomplishment.

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #8987 on: April 19, 2017, 07:18:00 PM »
Were they all filmed in the Philippines?

IMDB says the last three were filmed in South Africa. I thought the second one has a scene where they enter a building with what looks like an ancient buddhist temple in the backyard, but maybe I'm just getting them mixed up.

Well, there were five so the that would mean that two could have been filmed in the Philippines.

Curious, if you liked those movies, did you like the Treat Williams Substitute movies? To me, they are good popcorn movies where you can disengage your brain.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #8988 on: April 19, 2017, 09:20:33 PM »
The Odyssey (1997): Three hour miniseries/movie depicting Homer's famous epic. I loved Greek mythology as a kid, ever since I did a project on ancient Greek civilization in elementary school. When I went to high school I decided to take classes in ancient Greek, and when this was first shown on TV it was around the time when we were translating the Odyssey, which had always been one of my favorites. They stuck pretty close to the source material, but for some reason that I cannot fathom, they left out perhaps the most famous scene, in which Odysseus listens to the sirens while tied to the mast (and also, they merged Circe and the lotus eaters). Scylla and Charybdis were always my favorite monsters, and the latter looks especially epic for it's time, while the former is a kind of decidedly creepy if-a-venus-flytrap-mated-with-a-snake kind of critter (thanks to Jim Henson's Creature Shop). I also liked their vision of Hades. And the cyclops eating a dude was pretty gruesome, though that part of the story was very much toned down relative to the source material.
It does have that typical 90s TV series feel, and as such it kind of feels like a slightly higher budget, long movie version of Hercules or Xena in terms of cinematography and acting quality (the 4:3 format adds to this). As such, at never quite achieves greatness, but it's certainly an above average miniseries. It does have some of the best old man makeup I've seen on TV. And I love that they didn't shy away from showing Odysseus go full psycho on the suitors as he does in the original story. 8-/10
Mooohn!

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #8989 on: April 20, 2017, 10:03:25 AM »
O Brother Where Art Thou? 10/10. I watch this movie once every few years. It still holds up. As I try to pick out what I like best about the movie, I find I like everything. Okay, I don't like hair pomade. That's the only thing I don't like about the movie. The characters are brilliant. The music is great. (I love bluegrass and old-time Gospel.) The bad guys are really nasty and the good guys are likable. All the references to The Odyssey. The oracle, the sirens (damn those girls are gorgeous!), the cyclops. It's been 50 years since I read The Iliad and The Odyssey so I probably missed a lot of references. I don't think there's a single flaw in the whole movie. Except maybe the hair pomade. Maybe.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8990 on: April 20, 2017, 03:02:11 PM »
Get Out 10/10. Such a perfect little mindfuck of a movie.

And now I am somewhat scared of white people.

Also, it has Josh Lyman.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #8991 on: April 20, 2017, 06:03:52 PM »
Gold (2016): Others have compared this to The Wolf Of Wallstreet in the jungle, but without all the fun depravity. It's an OK movie, but it has a lot of flaws. Mostly it just isn't all that interesting a story. The ending in particular was kind of ridiculous.
(click to show/hide)
For some reason I found Bryce Dallas Howard nearly unrecognizable; I went "I wonder who that actress is... she looks a little bit like Bryce Dallas Howard". Matthew McConaughey is pretty good as a sleazy over-the-hill used car salesman prospector. And I do like the scenes of them prospecting in the jungle, but apparently a mining geologist would cringe at those scenes in particular:
As a geologist, this film was one gut-busting laugh after another. Hilarious! Interesting to see Hollywood's take on how to conduct gold exploration in Indonesia --NOT!.

Where do I start? From the Ring of Fire "Theory" -- ha ha ha: it's geographical description first year geology students would be aware of -- or the decision to place a drill hole by simply getting to the top of a ridge and banging the ground with your walking stick? Finding a mine on "an eighth of a ounce"? Or delineating the field by radial drilling?

People, even rogue prospectors put in more groundwork before deciding to drill. Drilling is the last stage of exploration and follows months, if not years of geological mapping and sampling of an area. Once field samples are analysed, the target area is further defined by digging and sampling costeans or trenches on a grid layout. To decide to drill is a monumental decision because of the expense and diamond core drilling (the drilling done in the film) is really expensive--probably around $500 or more per metre. And their "great quality safeguards" as seen in the film -- people tossing core around all over the place were rubbish. Each drill hole is logged by a geologist -- i.e he physically examines every inch of core and I saw no-one doing that in the film.

Then we have a mine on an eighth of an ounce. I.e roughly 4 grams per tonne -- not bad for a medium-quality open-cut mine but for the "hard rock" underground mine they were preparing to open, you need at least 2 or 3 times that to make it worthwhile. Some African gold mines have 15-20 grams per tonne. And at 4 grams per tonne, you would not see gold with the naked eye.

So if you're a geologist you'll have a real belly hoot laugh from beginning to end. Sadly, this lack of science just spoiled the film for me.

You learn something new with every movie you watch! I'm gonna give it a 7-/10
Mooohn!

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #8992 on: April 21, 2017, 04:28:03 AM »
Captain America: The First Avenger 9/10
I had it on DVD but found it at a Flea Market for $3 on Blu-Ray so picked it up. I like a lot of super hero movies but in many ways, I would argue that it was the best of the recent lineup.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
« Reply #8993 on: April 21, 2017, 08:36:47 AM »
I had it on DVD but found it at a Flea Market for $3 on Blu-Ray so picked it up. I like a lot of super hero movies but in many ways, I would argue that it was the best of the recent lineup.
I love it because it establishes who Steve Rogers is and allows us to sympathise and root for an infallible aryan wet dream in the other movies.
Not enough of these movies feature a hero who is genuinely heroic.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #8994 on: April 21, 2017, 01:59:58 PM »
I love it because it establishes who Steve Rogers is and allows us to sympathise and root for an infallible aryan wet dream in the other movies.

Thoughts with Tony Stark "What an asshole." Be interesting though having a followup where Stark has a friend who is brainwashed into being a bad guy and watch him try to protect his friend as Steve did and likely with less reason.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #8995 on: April 21, 2017, 02:01:58 PM »

Thoughts with Tony Stark "What an asshole." Be interesting though having a followup where Stark has a friend who is brainwashed into being a bad guy and watch him try to protect his friend as Steve did and likely with less reason.
Stark transferred his own guilt feelings to the Avengers in "Captain America:Civil War".
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #8996 on: April 21, 2017, 02:23:06 PM »
The Pick-up Artist (1987): I thought I'd seen pretty much every 80s comedy that Molly Ringwald has made, but I'd never seen this before. I was a bit distracted during much of the movie, but it was pretty good nonetheless. 7.5/10
Mooohn!

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #8997 on: April 21, 2017, 02:29:58 PM »
The Pick-up Artist (1987): I thought I'd seen pretty much every 80s comedy that Molly Ringwald has made, but I'd never seen this before. I was a bit distracted during much of the movie, but it was pretty good nonetheless. 7.5/10

Distracted by Molly Ringwald?
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #8998 on: April 21, 2017, 02:59:18 PM »

Distracted by Molly Ringwald?

No, that would keep me focused! }|:op It's just vague random thoughts that I barely notice having but then all of a sudden I find I kind of missed ten minutes of the movie... Actually I think it may be a little bit postdrome from the small migraine I had yesterday. I often feel a little fuzzy after those.

EDIT:

Secret Admirer (1985): I could've sworn I'd rated this before on here, but I couldn't find it when searching so: Fun 80s romcom. I like how the love letter thing spirals out of control into typical 80s hijinx. Another 7.5/10

EDIT 2:

Class (1983): Hadn't seen this before either. Pretty great, though it's got a bit of an identity crisis; it starts out as a comedy, and then goes into full drama mode about halfway through. Nevertheless, I can see why this is considered a classic, and the IMDB rating is way too low. It was kind of weird seeing Rob Lowe and Alan Ruck as teens. 8/10
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 06:31:54 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #8999 on: April 21, 2017, 07:59:11 PM »
Have you watched any of the more recent teenage movies such as Easy A?
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain
personate-rain