Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 351004 times)

Offline richm78

• Off to a Start
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #9105 on: May 18, 2017, 05:24:30 PM »
Saw Guardians 2 as well 5/10

I just felt meh. The jokes were practically the same as in the last movie, just with different words. The story is very by the numbers, in the end everyone just got their little closure moments and nothing was at all surprising or new or inspired.

Also, I am quite sure I am far beyond the point of diminishing returns for Christ Pratt and his shtick. And the whole storyline about
(click to show/hide)
storyline just gave me a big "ughh" sensation.

It was still an amusing little flick, but I kinda regret paying a cinema ticket price for it instead of just watching it on Netflix a bit later.

Agreed.  I did like the Nebula/Gamora development.  Rocket Racoon's dialogues were a mess and too many jokes were duds.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #9106 on: May 18, 2017, 05:31:08 PM »
I heard that MCUSA has a spy on board Covenant.  >:(
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #9107 on: May 18, 2017, 06:09:07 PM »
Is that a gun in your pocket?
4/10

A town full of wives tries to strong arm their gun loving husbands into giving up their guns by refusing to have sex with them. Its predictable and cheesy, but it's good background noise.

Good kids
7/10

A group of teens who have behaved all their lives decide to finally cut loose and live a little. Trying drugs, alcohol, and sex for the first time. Its smarter than you would assume it would be from the tagline, but not too much smarter. Plus I cant be mad at any movie with Zoey Deutch in it, she is so adorable.

Let's kill wards wife
3/10
The only laughs I got from this movie was the nonchalant way they deal with killing wards wife. They treat it like they are planning brunch, yet talking about killing a woman and dismembering her body. Most characters are pretty unlikeable. A few actors from scrubs are in it (Turk is playing Ward)

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #9108 on: May 18, 2017, 07:06:24 PM »
Before I Fall (2017): Kind of a Groundhog Day where the romantic comedy has been replaced by teen drama (having recently watched 13 Reasons Why, that kind of popped into my head, or maybe Life Is Strange, though it isn't on the same level as either of those). It's a little slow at the start, but I liked it for the most part. The last few scenes are a bit too saccharine though, and it somehow doesn't fit the tone of the rest of the movie very well. It's also quite predictable, especially once the mystery (which I did enjoy) has been largely unraveled. 7.5/10

EDIT: Coincidentally, it also stars Zoey Deutch.
Mooohn!

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9109 on: May 19, 2017, 01:12:53 AM »
Saw Guardians 2 as well 5/10

I just felt meh. The jokes were practically the same as in the last movie, just with different words. The story is very by the numbers, in the end everyone just got their little closure moments and nothing was at all surprising or new or inspired.

Also, I am quite sure I am far beyond the point of diminishing returns for Christ Pratt and his shtick. And the whole storyline about
(click to show/hide)
storyline just gave me a big "ughh" sensation.

It was still an amusing little flick, but I kinda regret paying a cinema ticket price for it instead of just watching it on Netflix a bit later.

Agreed.  I did like the Nebula/Gamora development.  Rocket Racoon's dialogues were a mess and too many jokes were duds.

For me, the Nebula/Gamora thing fell flat due to the horrific, hammy acting of Karen Gillan.

Also, I HATED baby Groot, who was just shoehorned into the movie to sell toys, something Marvel has not done before.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #9110 on: May 19, 2017, 04:54:16 AM »
Except with every extra Ironman suit...

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #9111 on: May 19, 2017, 04:18:14 PM »
Beauty and the Beast (2017): Pretty decent live action remake, though it doesn't really add much to the animated version. I do prefer live action to animation most of the time, though. Did find myself drifting off during some of the musical numbers; I guess I'm just not a huge fan of musicals - it takes me out of the movie a bit when people start singing about their lives without any apparent reason (though I wouldn't say I particularly dislike musicals either, and it actually bothers me slightly less in animated movies). And in fairness, I've been a little distracted by other things lately anyway. 8-/10
Mooohn!

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #9112 on: May 19, 2017, 07:17:22 PM »
La La Land (2016): As long as I am watching musicals, I figured I might as well watch this one. It was pretty great, though I did have the same "drifting off during musical numbers" issue again.
(click to show/hide)
8.5/10
Mooohn!

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #9113 on: May 19, 2017, 10:33:56 PM »
Alien Covenant. Meh/10  I called all the plot twists before the reveals.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #9114 on: May 20, 2017, 01:03:55 AM »
Except with every extra Ironman suit...

How about the Hulkbuster especially?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #9115 on: May 20, 2017, 04:41:10 AM »
Guardians of the Galaxy 2: 7/10

Entertaining but the writing was extremely on-the-nose, the acting was oft hammy but not in a fun way and Groot was assertively toyetic. 

I liked Pratt's dancing intro in Guardians 1 because it simultaneously worked as characterization and world-building on top of holding my attention during the credits and establishing the film's feel, style, etc.  It did a lot of work. 

Groot's dancing intro felt like an executive saying, "People liked the first one's dancing intro, do it again.  And use Groot, you should how much merchandising we've got lined up!"
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #9116 on: May 20, 2017, 06:31:29 AM »
It's funnier if you put Vin Diesel there instead of Groot.  ;D

Offline jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
« Reply #9117 on: May 20, 2017, 06:37:12 AM »
I lol'd. Saw it three consecutive days.

I'm not sure I understand the context here, but are you saying you watched the same movie three days in a row?

That beats me.  I've never watched a move three days in a row, but there are three movies I've watched two days in a row (at the theater, no less): Sleeper, Chasing Amy, and Dogville.  Chasing Amy is a bit embarrassing, but I think the other two are defensible.
I'm not going to use your pronouns.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #9118 on: May 20, 2017, 07:01:51 AM »

I'm not sure I understand the context here, but are you saying you watched the same movie three days in a row?

That beats me.  I've never watched a move three days in a row, but there are three movies I've watched two days in a row (at the theater, no less): Sleeper, Chasing Amy, and Dogville.  Chasing Amy is a bit embarrassing, but I think the other two are defensible.
Yeah, I watched GotG II three days running. I'm not you so your experience, while no doubt fascinating, are ...

Offline jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
« Reply #9119 on: May 20, 2017, 07:04:41 AM »

Yeah, I watched GotG II three days running. I'm not you so your experience, while no doubt fascinating, are ...

Huh?
I'm not going to use your pronouns.

personate-rain