Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 359434 times)

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #9570 on: August 08, 2017, 06:08:16 AM »
Shin Godzilla: A long movie about internal Japanese politics with some Godzilla thrown in. I became more interested with the differences between the English sub-titles and the English voice-overs. But it filled a hole in my Godzilla collection.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #9571 on: August 08, 2017, 09:38:07 AM »
Shin Godzilla: A long movie about internal Japanese politics with some Godzilla thrown in. I became more interested with the differences between the English sub-titles and the English voice-overs. But it filled a hole in my Godzilla collection.
About 10 years ago I was on a big Korean movie kick and pretty much watch them all with both subtitles and dubbing.  I was also fascinated by the differences.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #9572 on: August 08, 2017, 10:17:26 AM »
About 10 years ago I was on a big Korean movie kick and pretty much watch them all with both subtitles and dubbing.  I was also fascinated by the differences.
First time I noticed it was in the Gethsemane scene in "Jesus Christ Superstar". The Italian version was rather milder than the original English.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Over Nine Thousand!
« Reply #9573 on: August 08, 2017, 10:18:54 AM »
Life    7 out 10

Pretty to good at building tension and keeping it on. The Alien was a bit to over powered that it kind of took me out of it. Good first viewing but probably not a movie that would need to be watched more than once.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9574 on: August 08, 2017, 11:18:43 AM »
First time I noticed it was in the Gethsemane scene in "Jesus Christ Superstar". The Italian version was rather milder than the original English.

Now I want to get dubbed and subbed versions of JCS in as many languages as possible.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 11:23:00 AM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #9575 on: August 08, 2017, 11:35:52 AM »

Now I want to get dubbed and subbed versions of JCS in as many languages as possible.
The Arabic version should be fun.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #9576 on: August 09, 2017, 09:50:35 AM »
The Dark Tower: I haven't read the book(s) so I had no baggage going in. I enjoyed the movie and managed to keep the real dark tower, King's reputation, from dominating the 90-ish minutes.

I'm actually reading the entire series right now. On book 4/7. I'm quite curious about the movie. The book is pretty trippy.

That was my favorite, I always felt that if there was going to be a real Dark Tower series or movie, it should be done in chronological order, not book order.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #9577 on: August 09, 2017, 11:44:09 AM »
Taking Earth 1/10 A south african alien invasion film that's not at all district 9. Starts off well enough but quickly gets confusing and muddled and just silly. This is Krull level babble. Found it on Canadian netflix.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #9578 on: August 11, 2017, 05:29:27 PM »
Dredd - 8/10

Holds up well to my fond memory of it... such a good action movie!
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #9579 on: August 12, 2017, 12:07:39 PM »
Son of Saul. It's an Hungarian flick that won the award for Best Foreign Language Film at the 88th Academy Awards.

Deserved the win. You'll be crying in your popcorn over this one.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #9580 on: August 12, 2017, 02:58:40 PM »
Dredd - 8/10

I wish there was the possibility of a second movie but I think it is doubtful.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
« Reply #9581 on: August 12, 2017, 06:30:01 PM »
Atomic Blonde 8/10
Really fun spy movie with brutal fight scenes that at least pay lip service to taking a toll on the combatants.
Worth seeing for the action alone.
The story is fun and twisty if not as smart as it maybe would like to be.
The music is great.
The aesthetic is a bit too aggressively 80s in the way that 90s kids wish the 80s were.

I think it got reviewed more poorly than it deserved.

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9582 on: August 12, 2017, 09:05:12 PM »
Becoming Bond  - 9/10

A Hulu Original. A fascinating human interest story about a character we knew virtually nothing about.

Original and very well done.

Recommended.
"And what it all boils down to is that no one's really got it figured out just yet" - Alanis Morisette
• • •
"I doubt that!" - James Randi

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #9583 on: August 13, 2017, 06:43:26 AM »
Dredd - 8/10

I wish there was the possibility of a second movie but I think it is doubtful.
I liked the whole concept, art, action, et al. Gotta order the Blu-ray.

Offline nameofthewave

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #9584 on: August 13, 2017, 03:49:58 PM »
A Street Cat Named Bob 8/10.

Based on a true story, its about how a homeless busking drug addict in London gets his shit together with the help of a stray cat that he makes friends with. Nothing too heavy, but a good old fashioned feel good movie. Recommended if you like cats.