Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 378071 times)

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #9795 on: October 11, 2017, 02:34:47 PM »
Blade Runner 2049: 9/10. Loved the female "terminator" skin job. It's long. But cuts would also turn this into an action movie, I think. This ain't. Lots of criticism about sexism and racism. Yeah, no black or Asian people to any extent. Not sure about the sexism complaints. Men are going to use AI and robots to create sex bots that cater to their whim and stroke their egos.

No black or Asian sex bots?  I can't imagine a harem of mono-racial sexbots.

Friend of mine said he got an sex doll from china but everytime he went to have sex she was doing calculus homework.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #9796 on: October 11, 2017, 02:40:07 PM »
Blade Runner 2049: 9/10. Loved the female "terminator" skin job. It's long. But cuts would also turn this into an action movie, I think. This ain't. Lots of criticism about sexism and racism. Yeah, no black or Asian people to any extent. Not sure about the sexism complaints. Men are going to use AI and robots to create sex bots that cater to their whim and stroke their egos.

No black or Asian sex bots?  I can't imagine a harem of mono-racial sexbots.
To me, the sexism comes from the fact that we only see the commodification of straight male sexuality.
Are there no gay men in this world who would want to spend money on replicant sex workers?
In fact, we know that women can occupy positions of power so why is it that we dont see their preferences expressed commercially?
Joi seems to only come in one idealised model if we are to believe the holographic billboard. You can "hear" what you want, but they have made a very bold assumption about what you want to 'see'.
Now maybe in this alternate future timeline where atari is a huge bramd, the alt right and MRA's won the social debate. But even if thats the case, this is what the film maker chose to envisage.
And even outside of the world itself, we have one of hollywoods most desireable men and see less of him than we did of Starlord, but more of every female character bar one or two, than we really needed to.
This isnt shaming the appreciation of other humans for sexually aesthetic reasons, its pointing out that the sliver of people who were catered to in this respect is very narrow.

And thats sexist.
But its still a good film.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #9797 on: October 11, 2017, 08:43:21 PM »
The women are also pretty single note in their roles, and it definitely is engineered for the male gaze. Setting that aside, it really is a powerful film, though maybe a little late on the themes explored so thoroughly and well in Westworld.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #9798 on: October 11, 2017, 08:45:41 PM »

(click to show/hide)
Right, I found that weird too...
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #9799 on: October 12, 2017, 12:20:02 AM »

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

The movie and book are so different that I don't they should be compared. Note that I have never read the novel but that is what people have told me.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #9800 on: October 12, 2017, 01:34:43 AM »
V for Vendetta 8/10
First time I have watched it since Trump got in office. While I don't think we are close to something like what happened there, I am less inclined to believe in the robust nature of the United States to believe that the US collapsing is as impossible as I once thought. 
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #9801 on: October 12, 2017, 09:51:59 AM »
Headhunters (2011, Norway), English subtitled. 8.5/10. Some very creepy stuff, some big surprises. An art thief gets more trouble than he bargained for when he goes after the big score, a Rubens.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #9802 on: October 12, 2017, 02:13:55 PM »
The Nice Guys - 7/10

Funny and well-acted.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #9803 on: October 12, 2017, 02:15:58 PM »

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

The movie and book are so different that I don't they should be compared. Note that I have never read the novel but that is what people have told me.
Yes, in terms of story they are quite different, but the underlying themes are similar, and this plays directly to the underlying theme about humanity. More human than a human, after all. Who can tell the difference?

Online mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #9804 on: October 13, 2017, 12:12:04 PM »
Are there no gay men in this world who would want to spend money on replicant sex workers?

To be fair, they did have a scene where a woman customer seemed to be trying to buy some sex bots for her own uses.

why is it that we dont see their preferences expressed commercially?

It may just be everyone sees something different?

"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9805 on: October 13, 2017, 12:29:22 PM »
Sushi Girl. 9/10. Some extreme violence, very difficult to watch. I came close to turning it off. But very well made. Six and a half years before the start of the movie, a diamond heist went wrong. Now the bag man from the heist, who took the fall and refused to rat out his companions, is released from prison, and the gang leader has called the whole gang in to try to find out where the diamonds are. The gang leader is a fan of Japanese culture, and in emulation of the Yakuza, has set the stage by having a beautiful naked woman covered in sushi lie on a table, with orders to not move or respond in any way, no matter what she sees or hears. The gang members are to eat the sushi from the woman's body as they try to sort out the matter of the diamonds. The ending took me very much by surprise.

Excellent acting. Recommended, if you can handle some pretty gory violence.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #9806 on: October 13, 2017, 12:47:38 PM »
Worse than Reservoir Dogs?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #9807 on: October 13, 2017, 01:28:09 PM »

I don't remember that as gory at all.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9808 on: October 13, 2017, 02:01:44 PM »

Yes. Unless I'm misremembering Reservoir Dogs. Sushi Girl is not gory throughout, and most of the movie is not gory. But the gory part is pretty bad. Maybe not as bad as Hostel. But pretty cringe-worthy. I would not call it gratuitous, however. It's an integral part of the story.

Serious spoiler about the gory part:
(click to show/hide)

The characters are very well played, though, and quite believable.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #9809 on: October 13, 2017, 02:08:53 PM »

I don't remember that as gory at all.
Neither do I, but I was our medic's assistant.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

personate-rain