Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 385284 times)

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #9900 on: November 13, 2017, 07:43:00 AM »
Thor: Ragnarok

It was a fun movie, with humor and action and a bit of a message about redemption mixed in.  There's not a lot to say about it other than that I enjoyed almost every second of it. Considering what it is and not pretending it's something it's not, I'll give it

8/10
Just what a comic book movies should be.  ;)
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #9901 on: November 13, 2017, 08:04:54 AM »
Life. 7/10. Exciting movie with no connection to reality. That is, everything that happens in the movie is utterly preposterous. But it's a fun romp of a monster movie. I think it's okay to say without spoiling anything that a probe visits Mars and returns a sample of Martian soil to the ISS, so that it can be studied without fear of contaminating Earth. (They seem unaware that plenty of Mars rocks have fallen onto the Earth already.) Turns out they bit off more than they could chew. I liked the ending.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #9902 on: November 13, 2017, 09:24:48 AM »

Murder on the Orient Express.  6/10  Bit of a rube goldberg of a plot, the murder could have been committed much more easily as the perpetrator had all sorts of opportunity. I might have to read the original to see if its been switched up somehow.

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9903 on: November 13, 2017, 11:18:36 AM »
I saw the guy who plays Thor in the Marvel movies in another movie recently. Don't remember what movie it was. But I couldn't help wondering where his hammer was and why he had no superpowers.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #9904 on: November 13, 2017, 03:49:34 PM »
One Day (2011): Romantic drama that follows the main characters for a number of years every year on July 15th. Not bad, and the premise is kind of an interesting one. However, I kind of disliked the character of Dexter, so it didn't work very well for me, and he got only slightly less irritating as the movie progressed. Also, while they do their best to end it on an uplifting note, the ending is still kind of a downer. The overall tone is a pretty positive one, though. 7+/10
Mooohn!

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #9905 on: November 13, 2017, 05:46:02 PM »
I saw the guy who plays Thor in the Marvel movies in another movie recently. Don't remember what movie it was. But I couldn't help wondering where his hammer was and why he had no superpowers.

Ghostbusters?
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9906 on: November 13, 2017, 07:58:34 PM »

Ghostbusters?

No. It was something I saw more recently.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #9907 on: November 13, 2017, 09:28:22 PM »
Thor: Ragnarok

It was a fun movie, with humor and action and a bit of a message about redemption mixed in.  There's not a lot to say about it other than that I enjoyed almost every second of it. Considering what it is and not pretending it's something it's not, I'll give it

8/10
Just what a comic book movies should be.  ;)

I was particularly impressed that Thor showed some real character development.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #9908 on: November 14, 2017, 06:41:48 AM »
When I saw "Arrival" I thought, "How much of a crisis could this be if they only need one Avenger and Superman's GF?"  :laugh:
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9909 on: November 14, 2017, 09:29:58 AM »
When I saw "Arrival" I thought, "How much of a crisis could this be if they only need one Avenger and Superman's GF?"  :laugh:

Okay, so that was the movie. I re-watched it because it's on Amazon Prime now. Thank you.

My impression of the movie was the same as before:

(click to show/hide)
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9910 on: November 14, 2017, 09:39:38 PM »
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales. 9/10. I thought this was the best of the sequels. The first one was the best, then they went downhill, each one worse than the one before. But this one was good. I couldn't figure out where Captain Salazar came from. I thought he looked like one of Davy Jones's crew. But I didn't care. He was good.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #9911 on: November 15, 2017, 05:16:59 PM »
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales. 9/10. I thought this was the best of the sequels. The first one was the best, then they went downhill, each one worse than the one before. But this one was good. I couldn't figure out where Captain Salazar came from. I thought he looked like one of Davy Jones's crew. But I didn't care. He was good.

Thanks for that review. I agree with your assessment of the series. #1 was great and they lost steam after that. I'll be sure to check this one out.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
« Reply #9912 on: November 15, 2017, 05:27:16 PM »
Jane and The Lost City
Based on an old timey newspaper strip and made in the 80s with Sam Jones and a bunch of Brits.
If Benny Hill made an Indiana Jones film, it would be this.

I saw it as a kid and loved it. I kinda enjoyed it as an adult.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #9913 on: November 16, 2017, 01:33:42 AM »

Thanks for that review. I agree with your assessment of the series. #1 was great and they lost steam after that. I'll be sure to check this one out.

Yeah, I might have never made an effort to see this film if not for this post. (I also liked the 1st and felt it went steeply downhill)
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9914 on: November 16, 2017, 08:45:21 AM »
stranger things season 2, because it's more of a movie

7.5 / 10
The plot was just kind of meh this time around, but the characters are so great I was happy just to get spend more time with them. 
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.