Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 393006 times)

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #10035 on: December 04, 2017, 02:08:17 PM »
I am amused, it sounds like the Exorcist is to Daniel what 2001 is to me.  A classic that everybody seems to love that I just hate.   

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #10036 on: December 04, 2017, 02:13:23 PM »
I am amused, it sounds like the Exorcist is to Daniel what 2001 is to me.  A classic that everybody seems to love that I just hate.
I think it's a beautiful film, but I'd be lying if I didn't say it bores me to sit through it on one sitting as well. I just don't think that people are delusional if they don't agree with me.  ;D
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #10037 on: December 04, 2017, 02:17:02 PM »
Another Earth - 7/10 interesting premise, unique story. Main character is kind of wooden but motivated to be that way. I question some of her decisions but it made for something worth watching.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #10038 on: December 04, 2017, 02:40:46 PM »
“Jim and Andy” - 9/10

A Netflix Original documentary.

A revealing look into behind-the-scenes video taken during the filming of “Man On The Moon”.

Jim Carrey playing/becoming Andy Kaufman during the filming.

Fascinating and a bit disturbing. 

Recommended.
Totally great, recommended.

Thirded. Kaufman was an impossibly complex person, and I don't know of anyone who could portray that as well as Jim Carrey can. I've never seen Man on the Moon so I'm not sure if it would add to the impact this movie has or not, but I do recommend watching The Truman Show before you watch this. It makes Carrey's total Method immersion much more understandable.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline CarbShark

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #10039 on: December 04, 2017, 04:45:27 PM »
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline lobsterbash

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #10040 on: December 04, 2017, 05:41:41 PM »

::) But...

You're right; the show started out being about guys too intelligent to function in everyday environments, but gradually moved into... that. Except Wallowitz, who was supposed to be the stock sex offender from the start.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #10041 on: December 06, 2017, 05:56:59 PM »
The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra Returns Again. 6/10. Basically the same shtick as in the first movie, but this one just didn't measure up. Jennifer Blaire as Animala (a.k.a. Pammy) really made the first movie. (One of those cases where one actor turns a 3/10 into a 10/10) and she reprises the role here, but it doesn't have the same force. She's actually a stronger character and a bit of a hero in this movie, but she was much funnier and sexier in the first one. The jokes based on Lattis and Kro-Bar not knowing Earth customs are few and much weaker than in the first movie. This movie has nothing that comes anywhere near the world-class hilarity of the supper scene in the first one.

Lattis and Kro-Bar are here (with a very weak explanation of why). Betty, who was a blonde now has dark hair. The actor who played Ranger Brad, who died in the first movie, returns as his brother, Jungle Brad. And the actor who played the evil scientist returns as that scientist's good brother. There are also the Queen of the Cantaloupe People, some new monsters, and some new bad guys. The monsters are just as hokey as the Mutant was in the first one. There are now two of them. Betty is wearing high heels and a dress as they walk through the jungle.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline John Albert

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #10042 on: December 07, 2017, 10:32:31 AM »
Watched Dunkirk last night.

(7/10)

A very good WWII historical drama. Definitely one of Christopher Nolan's best movies.

It focuses entirely on the effort to evacuate British troops from the beach at Dunkirk. Tense, seat-of-the-pants style drama with just a smidgen of patriotic sentimentality. Could have used at least some graphic blood effects.

Highly recommended.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 04:37:09 PM by John Albert »

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #10043 on: December 07, 2017, 08:06:14 PM »
Suicide Squad - Extended.
Not going to give it a number rating. It does add a bit although it does not seem to add as much as the extended version adds with Batman vs Superman. I liked the Motorcycle Scene with Dr. Quinzel.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
« Reply #10044 on: December 09, 2017, 04:15:40 PM »
Logan Lucky 7/10
Very decent heist movie set in West Virginia with a bunch of white trash dudes robbing a race track.
The performances are fantastic (Adam Driver has yet again failed to impress me though) and its very well directed, but the ending leaves much to be desired. Some aspects seemed tacked on to give the impression of complexity but the plan falls apart more easily than most if you really think about it.
So dont.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #10045 on: December 10, 2017, 12:11:06 PM »
Yeah, I enjoyed it while watching it, but when I thought about it after the fact I was like "that was a pretty stupid movie, actually."  ;D
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
« Reply #10046 on: December 10, 2017, 12:25:33 PM »
Yeah, I enjoyed it while watching it, but when I thought about it after the fact I was like "that was a pretty stupid movie, actually."  ;D
Worth watching though right? Tatum is fast becoming one of my favourite actors!

I saw Good Time 9/10
Its a really absorbing film about an absolute sociopathic scumbag who robs a bank with his severely mentally disabled brother who gets caught.
In a desperate effort to get his brother out of Rykers he embarks on a night of opportunistic crime, using every person he comes into contact with as a resource.
Its tense and gritty and I felt like I needed a shower after, but the performances are absolutely brilliant.
 Highly recommend this film.

Ingrid Goes West
I had to give up. It was too cringey for my tastes but I feel like I have to recommend it.
A girl moves to LA to instagram stalk a girl she admires and very deceptively worms her way into the girls life.
Cringey may be the wrong word....I just kept looking through my fingers at each phase of her infiltration and had to give up. But most people dont have my weak stomach for social stuff like that and I think its a genuinely good film.

Offline lobsterbash

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #10047 on: December 10, 2017, 12:34:17 PM »
Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls

It sucks so bad and is clearly obnoxious and irritating, yet it's still funny for some reason. Maybe it was the booze.

7/10

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10048 on: December 10, 2017, 12:45:34 PM »
Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls

It sucks so bad and is clearly obnoxious and irritating, yet it's still funny for some reason. Maybe it was the booze.

7/10

I loved that movie when I was 12 and I don't want to do anything to disturb my memories.

Though I gave Ace Ventura a rewatch a few years back, and while it was certainly not great by any stretch, and has a few moments that are offensive by today's standards (many of the moments were offensive even by that days standards...) it was not nearly as terrible as I thought it would be.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #10049 on: December 10, 2017, 02:37:12 PM »
Saw Passengers. Much better than the critics say/10.

I agree. Saw it last at night, and I really liked it.

8/10 for me.