Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 486508 times)

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #10170 on: January 09, 2018, 01:14:22 PM »
You aren't wrong about the big sick, I actually enjoyed the movie but if it had been a work of pure fiction, it would have been a pretty cliched Rom Com.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10171 on: January 09, 2018, 01:59:01 PM »
Harry pretty much summed up everything I was going to say about Bright, so I will allow that to stand for me.

I'm curious what you mean by predictable, since it is implied to be a negative. This is a romcom with an autobiographical element, so I had no sense of 'what might happen?!' when I watched it.

I, on the other hand, felt from about 20 minutes in that I could predict precisely what would happen.  Her parents would fall in love with him while she slept, she would wake up feeling just as hurt as she was when she was put in the coma, then she would come around and realize that she really did love him and they would live happily ever after.  As soon as NY was introduced, I turned to my wife and said, "So they're going to do the, 'she rejects him, he leaves for New York, and she either stops him at the airport or follows him there' thing."  The whole plot was predictable essentially from the beginning.

That is not to say that that makes the movie bad; it just makes the plot less interesting. The movie therefore had to rely on its wit and the (admittedly very interesting and very well-done) commentary on arranged marriage, the struggle of immigrant children, etc.  That's what earns it a 7.5 -- not its plot.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10172 on: January 09, 2018, 02:57:24 PM »
rom coms are the hamburgers of movies.  You know what you are getting, but that doesn't mean there aren't good ones and bad ones.  I thought this was above the fray because of the messages about tolerance and religious upbringing, as well as the immigrant experience. 
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #10173 on: January 09, 2018, 03:02:17 PM »
It's always interesting to me that a one minute ending can change the entire experience of two hours of film watching. So many good films with botched endings.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #10174 on: January 09, 2018, 03:22:37 PM »
There's very few originality left in mainstream movies anyway. Still, unoriginal films can still be excellent movies. It's surprising how many times I can enjoy the near-exact-same predictable story with smallish variations without getting bored. Although to be fair, I am bored with movies a little more often now than I was five years ago. I think that probably has more to do with the way the stories are told, though.

Some of the more original movies I've seen the last few years were just weird as fuck. One was about a guy who falls in love with, and then tries to break up with an evil, talking, wish granting hole in his wall. Interesting, but you have to kind of be in the mood for that kind of bizarritude.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 03:27:40 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #10175 on: January 10, 2018, 11:27:44 AM »
Harry pretty much summed up everything I was going to say about Bright, so I will allow that to stand for me.

I'm curious what you mean by predictable, since it is implied to be a negative. This is a romcom with an autobiographical element, so I had no sense of 'what might happen?!' when I watched it.

I, on the other hand, felt from about 20 minutes in that I could predict precisely what would happen.  Her parents would fall in love with him while she slept, she would wake up feeling just as hurt as she was when she was put in the coma, then she would come around and realize that she really did love him and they would live happily ever after.  As soon as NY was introduced, I turned to my wife and said, "So they're going to do the, 'she rejects him, he leaves for New York, and she either stops him at the airport or follows him there' thing."  The whole plot was predictable essentially from the beginning.

That is not to say that that makes the movie bad; it just makes the plot less interesting. The movie therefore had to rely on its wit and the (admittedly very interesting and very well-done) commentary on arranged marriage, the struggle of immigrant children, etc.  That's what earns it a 7.5 -- not its plot.

Got it; I missed your 7.5 rating, and was reacting to criticisms of the plot. Complaining that a romcom is predictable feels similar to complaining that a Ferris wheel goes in a circle. I rarely watch them for this reason. When I do, I attend to how the story is told rather than what story is told so I don't get too bored.

There were only two 'surprises' in this movie for me. The big on was the anti-racist rant in the comedy club. I was gleeful about that one. The small one was that his family thawed a little at the end. I haven't looked into whether that was hollywooded to be nicer than reality or not.

evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #10176 on: January 10, 2018, 11:40:00 AM »
Got it; I missed your 7.5 rating, and was reacting to criticisms of the plot. Complaining that a romcom is predictable feels similar to complaining that a Ferris wheel goes in a circle. I rarely watch them for this reason. When I do, I attend to how the story is told rather than what story is told so I don't get too bored.
Which is really about the only way you can watch a typical movie.   Folks complain about the lack of originality these days, but that's really always been the case.  The first remake of a film was in 1904, the great train robbery, how many times has some version of Romeo and Juliet been made?

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #10177 on: January 10, 2018, 11:46:08 AM »
Dragon Wars  The 3.6 on IMDB sounds fair. It's a retelling of a Korean legend and the bad spots are hilariously bad. Be drunk.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10178 on: January 11, 2018, 12:56:27 AM »
Valerian 70% while watching, 45% on consideration.

Gorgeous. Epic. Fun.

Wait, what about that part where the woman has to be disempowered? Oh, you did that bit? Three times? Ok. Good, now it is a MOVIE.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFS.

First, I thought the movie was named for the city, not the idiodude. That was a negative surprise. The arc that made her helpless was stupid. The rest of it was fun.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #10179 on: January 11, 2018, 07:01:28 AM »

Gorgeous. Epic. Fun.

Wait, what about that part where the woman has to be disempowered? Oh, you did that bit? Three times? Ok. Good, now it is a MOVIE.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFS.

First, I thought the movie was named for the city, not the idiodude. That was a negative surprise. The arc that made her helpless was stupid. The rest of it was fun.
Valerian AND THE City of a Thousand Planets...
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10180 on: January 11, 2018, 12:11:41 PM »

Gorgeous. Epic. Fun.

Yeah, I know that's the title - but in my head it was "Valerian, The City of a Thousand Planets" and no matter how many times I heard or saw the name that impression never changed.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #10181 on: January 11, 2018, 01:41:57 PM »

Gorgeous. Epic. Fun.

Yeah, I know that's the title - but in my head it was "Valerian, The City of a Thousand Planets" and no matter how many times I heard or saw the name that impression never changed.
It also took me a good half hour into the movie for me to get my head around the name Valerian was for that uncharismatic dude and not a city/planet.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #10182 on: January 11, 2018, 02:47:42 PM »
I guess reading the original comic, with help from a very friendly French lady, made it easier to catch that.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #10183 on: January 12, 2018, 07:42:09 PM »
Legend (1985) 8/10
I think it holds up pretty good as a movie.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #10184 on: January 12, 2018, 09:45:59 PM »
Legend (1985) 8/10
I think it holds up pretty good as a movie.

I always thought the fact that Cruise was embarrassed by that movie said more about the Cruise than it did about the movie, which was actually pretty good.
Mooohn!