Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 493352 times)

Noisy Rhysling and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #10335 on: January 30, 2018, 07:06:13 PM »
Wolf Warrior 2

Our invincible hero goes to Africa and learns that Chinese corporations are saving the whole continent because they really love African people.
He fights Frank Grillo and saves everyone.

Actually, as bad as the story, pacing and emotional subplots are, the action in this film is some of the best Ive seen lately. Its totally insane and the movie has the feel of a videogame (with the same level of writing). I saw some genuinely new and wonderfully absurd things, including a high speed tank on tank battle that wasnt realistic but was visually very interesting.
Honestly? This film is worth a watch if you are an action junkie and interested in what the rest of the world seems to want from their movies.

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10336 on: January 30, 2018, 07:02:45 PM »
Double post
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 05:35:28 PM by Harry Black »

Offline Redamare

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10337 on: January 30, 2018, 07:39:19 PM »
Besson is a great visual storyteller with brilliant sense of pace, but his narrative instincts are atrocious.
The more he is indulged, the more obvious this becomes I think. Very much like Michael Bay.

Isn't Lucas almost the same?
I would argue he is very poor at pacing when left to his own devices.

And dialogue, and characterization, and plot, and world-building...
"redamare has kicked this thread's ass" -champagnej

Certainty is the enemy of wisdom.

--RED-uh-MAR-ay--

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10338 on: January 30, 2018, 07:45:25 PM »
Besson is a great visual storyteller with brilliant sense of pace, but his narrative instincts are atrocious.
The more he is indulged, the more obvious this becomes I think. Very much like Michael Bay.

Isn't Lucas almost the same?
I would argue he is very poor at pacing when left to his own devices.

And dialogue, and characterization, and plot, and world-building...
Yep.
I guess you could lump that all in with narrative but its worth being specific.
I do have a soft spot for George as a person though. He strikes me as a guy whose heart is in the right place.
His passion project was to make a movie about WW2 black pilots (ok, it sucked, but he tried) and I feel like that story may have been on his mind while making Star Wars (personal opinion from maybe over interpreting certain things as references).
If he has used his overall film career to try and counter racism, facism and to make kids smile, he is ok in my book.

Offline Redamare

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10339 on: January 30, 2018, 09:21:53 PM »
Actually, I enjoyed Red Tails.
"redamare has kicked this thread's ass" -champagnej

Certainty is the enemy of wisdom.

--RED-uh-MAR-ay--

Offline Jaloopa

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #10340 on: February 05, 2018, 03:08:35 AM »
The Greatest Showman 8/10

Technically it's a biopic about P T Barnum, but it's very light on historical detail and from what I've read since, what is there is pretty inaccurate. If you don't come to it as a fiction musical inspired by certain events in his life, though, it's extremely entertaining.

The songs and setpieces were great fun, the story it tells is well done and the characters are nicely fleshed out. The story is basically Barnum developing his successful freak show, not liking that his daughters are snubbed by New York society and trying to become more respectable by moving into more highbrow shows, before realising that he's on the verge of losing his friends and family because he's let the show become his main focus.

Some of the CGI is a bit tacky in places, which can draw you out of the story a little bit, and some of it was a bit predictable, but it's some time since I've been so entertained at the cinema.

Online brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #10341 on: February 10, 2018, 11:46:00 PM »
My daughter is learning some of the songs in her 'Pop Vocals' class (she's 7) so I have them on freaking repeat in my head now. I guess I'll have to watch the damn thing too. :) Thx for the review.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #10342 on: February 11, 2018, 01:20:11 AM »
Ladybird ~ 9/10
Excellent. Funny! I didn't think it would be funny based on the poster.
Great girl coming-of-age story, great dialog and performances from Laurie Metcalf and the main girl. Reminded me a little bit of Rushmore, before Anderson got all affected, and Flirting.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #10343 on: February 11, 2018, 08:09:06 AM »
Alphago - 8/10

A Netflix Original about the computer program designed to teach itself the game of Go.

I enjoyed it both from technical and human interest perspective.

The implications going forward are also worthy of consideration. Similar to Watson, if a program can be designed to be the best at a game, could not the same technology be applied to higher-level endeavors, such as “winning” at cancer, let’s say.

Worth a watch.

Online brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #10344 on: February 11, 2018, 11:36:32 AM »
Alphago - 8/10
In my queue for a long bath time viewing. Am I stupid for reading the title as Alph-ag-o? My first thought was imagining Hildago...
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #10345 on: February 11, 2018, 06:45:43 PM »
The Young Offenders (2016): Comedy about two lower class Irish guys who hear about a missing bag of coke on the news and go off on stolen bikes to try to find it. This was pretty good. Once again, though, I was rather distracted because I am trying to get a complicated docker container to work with all kinds of tricky dependencies. Still, I was entertained, even as I was punching through the screen of my laptop and screaming off the top of my lungs wishing horrible pestilence upon the developers whose code I was trying to compile. 7.5/10
Mooohn!

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #10346 on: February 11, 2018, 10:08:31 PM »
I finally went to see SW VIII
I liked it although there wasn't much of a story.
It was a lot of running from the empire.
But since I'm an old school SW fan, I had to love it, especially the Luke/Kylo part at the end.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #10347 on: February 12, 2018, 12:59:52 PM »
Shape of Water  6.5/10

This really stretched my ability to suspend disbelief.
I was ready for weird, but it was weirder than I imagined.
Bad guy was cartoonishly evil.
"The Asset" - (we named him Gilbert), was a little too Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Enjoyable, but I don't see the Academy Award material.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #10348 on: February 12, 2018, 01:03:49 PM »
Ladybird ~ 9/10
Excellent. Funny! I didn't think it would be funny based on the poster.
Great girl coming-of-age story, great dialog and performances from Laurie Metcalf and the main girl. Reminded me a little bit of Rushmore, before Anderson got all affected, and Flirting.

I agree. This was a nice movie. It stays with you days after. Even though I graduated from catholic school back in 1985, everything still seemed relevant. This movie won't set the world on fire. It's white people having white people problems that aren't actual problems in the grand scheme. But it's just well written, well acted, and funny. The football coach who takes over as the drama teacher was inspired.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10349 on: February 13, 2018, 06:37:46 PM »
Black Panther 9.5/10

James Bond meets sci-fi Game of Thrones.
Two of the best villains so far in the marvel universe.

Some really imaginative and vibrant visuals melding traditional African aesthetics with high tech wizardry.

The best cast of any marvel movie ever with incredible performances from everybody and some fantastic humour.

Some of the Wakandan tech was really interesting to look at and consider as future possibilities. Their use of AR and nanotech 3D modeling gave me Star Trek type hope for what could be possible some day.

Some of the action did lack a bit of impact or sense of mass I guess and some of the CGI gave a bit too much of an animated movie feel.
This is one of the best Marvel movies though.

personate-rain