Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 465202 times)

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #10350 on: February 13, 2018, 06:51:32 PM »
I finally went to see SW VIII
I liked it although there wasn't much of a story.
It was a lot of running from the empire.
But since I'm an old school SW fan, I had to love it, especially the Luke/Kylo part at the end.
You mean "Empire Strikes Back II"?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #10351 on: February 13, 2018, 07:57:36 PM »
So I got really into some Rocketjump videos this week and wanted to see what else the actors had been up to.

Dude Bro Party Massacre 3 5/10
A horror parody of 80s/90s slasher flick sequels. It really works and is very well done except for the B plot starring the movies writer and using Patton Oswald. It doesnt cross over with the main plot meaningfully and it centres around a really shit recurring joke that makes absolutely zero sense. If not for the B plot, this movie would be a solid 7/10 and could possibly have launched a career or two.

Dean slater: Resident Advisor 2/10
A college sex comedy about a zen like RA who guides three college freshmen to unplug from the internet. It features lots of faux deep speeches that were supposed to be funny. Universally terrible acting, some jokes about the ethnicity of one of the main characters that would barely have been funny 15 years ago (his piss tastes of saki and he can lasso cows because his grandad raises kobe beef? The actor isnt even japanese american and is WAY better than this role)

The editing is so bad its noticeably jarring and plot points and character info just come from nowhere when needed.
I didnt need to watch this movie and I didnt need to finish it but goddamn I need to let people know how bad and up its own ass it is.

I still feel like Freddie Wong from Rocketjump will end up helming a big budget movie and do an amazing job.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #10352 on: February 14, 2018, 08:20:28 AM »
But since I'm an old school SW fan, I had to love it, especially the Luke/Kylo part at the end.
In fairness, its less of a remake of Empire Strikes back than Force Awakens was a remake episode IV.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #10353 on: February 14, 2018, 08:25:16 AM »
In fairness, its less of a remake of Empire Strikes back than Force Awakens was a remake episode IV.
People seldom accuse me of being fair.  ;D
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #10354 on: February 14, 2018, 08:44:38 AM »
Addicted to Fresno (on Amazon Prime) 7/10

A good first half, about a former (and still) female sex addict trying to re-adjust to normal life. Witty dialog as befitting the cast, which is made up of mostly well-known stand-up comedians. The movie sort of goes off the rails a bit as it becomes a "what do we do with this dead body?" caper. And I don't think the director had any idea how to end it.

(click to show/hide)
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #10355 on: February 17, 2018, 05:54:56 AM »
Black Panther 9/10

Probably the most interesting superhero movie of late, with the best Marvel villain so far. Great cast and acting, fantastic design, visuals and music and commendable politics.

It really made me feel that the core MCU figures are stale, lifeless and boring. Why care about Tony Stark, when Shuri is around? In what way doesn't Nakia overshadow Black Widow? I would rather watch more movies about these characters, than another one about douchey Peter Quill or bland Captain America

Also, was this the first major Afro-futurist movie? That is quite big.

My only gripe was that the ending fight scenes were kinda too long (at least there was no blue beam of light) and fairly boring, but that is an MCU staple.

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10356 on: February 18, 2018, 08:34:18 AM »
Godzilla Monster Planet Part 1 4/10

Way too slow moving. The first hour or so is a bunch of annoying characters talking about how Godzilla made them leave earth but they have to go and take it back. There is some pretty decent Godzilla action in the last 20min or so but the whole film is really a waste of time.

Cloverfield Paradox 5/10

I feel bad for the actors in this film, they are all fantastic.
The characters are all idiots though and nothing makes sense.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #10357 on: February 18, 2018, 08:47:32 AM »
I reviewed the Godzilla effort and used the term "redundant dichotomous expositions".

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10358 on: February 18, 2018, 09:51:28 AM »
I reviewed the Godzilla effort and used the term "redundant dichotomous expositions".
I remember and I cant disagree.

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #10359 on: February 18, 2018, 08:18:19 PM »
Romeo and Juliet - 2013 (The one with Paul Giamatti as Friar Laurence)
This is by far the best version of R&J I've ever seen. It's accurate, the scenery and acting are superb and the overall production was top notch.
I literally cried.

Wonder Woman - 8/10
One of the better super hero movies I've seen in quite some time.

Back to the Future - 10/10
I'm not explaining why except to say this is probably the 30th time I've watched it.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #10360 on: February 18, 2018, 08:47:53 PM »
Black Panther (very good/10)

This movie was excellent as a movie. Editing, soundtrack, acting, script... all excellent. I enjoyed every minute. When I compare this to any of the others on any specific factor (except outright laughs) it is as good or better.

OTOH I left the theatre with much less excitement that for several other Marvel movies. It could be that this was not a funny movie, or that I did not feel the stakes were so high with the upcoming Infinity War? I'm not sure.

Absolutely worth seeing. Beautiful in basically every way.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10361 on: February 19, 2018, 05:03:21 AM »
I felt the same about Black Panther. I loved it, but probably wont go out of my way to watch it again.
It actually left me somewhat dreading Infinity War.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #10362 on: February 19, 2018, 07:54:05 AM »
I felt the same about Black Panther. I loved it, but probably wont go out of my way to watch it again.

Having slept on it, I suspect it was the limited LOLs that threw me off. I wasn't expecting an action/comedy like Thor:Ragnarok, of course. This was a deliberate, dramatic movie with a great balance of humour and tension.

(click to show/hide)

I think this might bode well for Infinity War, actually. A:AOE was jam-packed enough that I saw new things the fifth time I saw it. I think Marvel may have learned a bit more balance in the epic ensemble since then.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #10363 on: February 19, 2018, 08:05:14 AM »

I have very little expectations for Infinity War. I can't see how it won't be a disappointment. All this decade-long seeding, combined with the gigantic cast and an antagonist who isn't exactly interesting or even particularly menacing at this stage is just setting the movie up for a creative failure.

At least we can be sure that with the infinite money of Disney, they will keep making the interesting Thor3/Black Panther-esque movies along with the bloated main storyline.

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10364 on: February 19, 2018, 08:32:48 AM »

I have very little expectations for Infinity War. I can't see how it won't be a disappointment. All this decade-long seeding, combined with the gigantic cast and an antagonist who isn't exactly interesting or even particularly menacing at this stage is just setting the movie up for a creative failure.

At least we can be sure that with the infinite money of Disney, they will keep making the interesting Thor3/Black Panther-esque movies along with the bloated main storyline.
Exactly. One big alien who we know nothing about vs all 56 avengers and an entire country of superheroes.

Thanos will need to be made from an underdog to a threat and then beaten within 3hrs.
I dont think theres a way to do that satisfactorily.

They had a almost a decade to just drop some youtube videos or dvd extras to build him up and they blew it.

personate-rain