Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 511531 times)

Online Tassie Dave

• Well Established
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #10620 on: April 14, 2018, 11:32:09 PM »
Is there a separate thread for series? I think Altered Carbon might be, next to Westworld, the first A+ level sci-fi shows I've ever seen.

Have you not seen "The Expanse"?

I really liked Altered Carbon. But I would rate several Sci-Fi TV series ahead of it (and Westworld which I also liked)

The Expanse, Black Mirror, Firefly, Orphan Black , Battlestar Galactica (up until middle of S2)

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #10621 on: April 16, 2018, 10:12:42 AM »
There Will Be Blood 7/10
Obviously DDL is an absolutely incredible actor. His performance here is one of, if not the best Ive ever seen.
Amazing.
The rest? I didnt really care for.
The story wasnt all that interesting to me, I got what kind of man he was early on so I didnt really need to be beaten over the head with it so much.
The dialogue was good in places. I didnt like any of the scenes with Elias though.
I didnt like the music, it felt very on the nose.

It was fine. Definitely killed a few hours that needed killing.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10622 on: April 16, 2018, 11:03:35 AM »
Logan 9/10

I loved it.  The look, the scale and personal nature of the story, the action, it was great.  I might have to go watch all the director's movies.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #10623 on: April 17, 2018, 05:30:12 AM »
Thor: Ragnarok - 7.5/10
There were a lot of funny and interesting scenes. Not sure I actually love the movie as a whole however. 
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #10624 on: April 17, 2018, 08:53:19 AM »
Jumanji - Welcome to the Jungle

Grandkids choice. It was ok. Extremely predictable and I'm not a fan of Kevin Hart at all so his character just annoyed me more than Hart usually does on his own.

A decent kids movie, although they talk about their penises in one scene. Something to be aware of with children around.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #10625 on: April 18, 2018, 02:54:56 AM »
Isle of Dogs ~ 9/10

Loved it. A grand storybook adventure. Nostalgic-feeling without relying on existing IP, a magically-real child's story without being FOR children. Not as perfect all the way through as Mr. Fox, but Wes Anderson continues to hit my sweet spot for visual, understated-comedic storytelling.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #10626 on: April 19, 2018, 04:06:40 PM »
Buffalo '66 (1998): Slightly artsy character dramedy about a guy recently released from prison who kidnaps a girl to play his non-existent wife for his parents. They spend the day together. 8/10
Mooohn!

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #10627 on: April 19, 2018, 04:19:10 PM »
Ready Player One (8.5/10)

The story is not the same as the book - which was a net gain IMO. The plot was never the strong point, and this interpretation made for a more diverse, richer story. The love story was a bit forced (-½), and the nostalgia did overwhelm me eventually (-1) but overall it was a fun ride.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #10628 on: April 19, 2018, 05:34:47 PM »
Nostalgia for what time frame, please? I haven't paid much attention to the movie.

On the gripping hand, "Rampage" is out.  :laugh:
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Nosmas

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #10629 on: April 19, 2018, 05:35:46 PM »
A Quiet Place
 Loved it 9/10.

The friend I saw it with wasn't a fan because he's a horrible monster with no taste.
Providing yesterday's solutions to today's problems, tomorrow!

Offline Nosmas

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #10630 on: April 19, 2018, 05:37:42 PM »
Nostalgia for what time frame, please? I haven't paid much attention to the movie.

I'm 32 and it was nostalgia overload for me. A lot of it is 80s and 90s video games and movies.
Providing yesterday's solutions to today's problems, tomorrow!

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #10631 on: April 19, 2018, 06:41:28 PM »

I'm 32 and it was nostalgia overload for me. A lot of it is 80s and 90s video games and movies.

I'm 47 and it only kicked over the top once or twice for me. I was looking for Daleks, Tiamat, and some other stuff like that, but didn't see them. Of course there was SO MUCH going on it was easy to miss stuff.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #10632 on: April 19, 2018, 06:52:16 PM »

Ah, thanks. '80s I was on active duty, not much time for video games. "Ancient Art of War at Sea" was the only game I played. '90s, I was at Purdue, still avoiding honest work. DOOM!, not much else.

So, will the "in jokes" swoosh me?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10633 on: April 19, 2018, 07:52:46 PM »

Some is as recent as last year.

The book had a solid reason to keep it in the 80s/90s but the film has no reason whatsoever that they should be into such old references and not characters from say....2035?

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #10634 on: April 19, 2018, 08:11:36 PM »

Some is as recent as last year.

The book had a solid reason to keep it in the 80s/90s but the film has no reason whatsoever that they should be into such old references and not characters from say....2035?

The movie had the same rationale as the book: the guy who invented the OASIS (VR Internet) was a teen in the 1980s and was obsessive about nerd culture in that decade. He wanted everyone to share his obsession, so his contests for control of the OASIS all demanded extensive knowledge of nerdy pop culture in that decade. Given the stakes - hundreds of billions of dollars - these contests warped pop culture to replicate many aspects of that decade.

To be fair, there should a more realistic representation would have been more of a reinterpretation and remix instead of straight copy-paste. The massive economic downturn and global drive to escapism into the VR world contributed to a lack of cultural innovation, but there should have been some.

personate-rain