Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 675197 times)

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #10635 on: April 19, 2018, 08:19:55 PM »
The movie had the basic rationale but it wasnt as narrowly defined as it was in the book.
The movie left it so broad that there was not as much sign of Parzival being a scholar to the same level.
I get that many people liked it more than the book but I liked it less and it made less sense to me in every way.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #10636 on: April 20, 2018, 06:53:55 AM »
2035? The same year Mark Watney made potatoes famous? (And we went to Mars, again.)
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10637 on: April 20, 2018, 03:30:33 PM »
2035? The same year Mark Watney made potatoes famous? (And we went to Mars, again.)
Fun fact- Thats a prequel to Ready Player One.

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10638 on: April 22, 2018, 09:44:22 AM »
Rampage 7/10
If you took a Michael Bay film and replaced the homophobia, racism and objectification of women with the Rocks easy charm and a really lovable gorilla, then you get this movie.

Its decent and fun. There are a few weird choices in it that seem weird but might give the movie some enduring appeal for at least being weird.

Jeffrey Dean Morgan is great as the really weird cowboy government agent who seems to be some sort of divine or extra dimensional being, given the things that happen around him and that he facilitates.

People have to keep reminding the rock how hot he is. And his response is always basically "Eww. Girls".

The Rock is basically amazing at everything. Best primatologist, best super soldier, biggest arms, flies helicopters for some reason? Any other actor would not pull off being such a marty stu.

The villains and their plan is....fucking weird. But cartoonish enough to be fun.

The movie is pretty anti CRISPR and anti government which sucks.

Giant monsters destroying a city with at least some emotional stakes. Worth seeing if that sounds cool. The dialogue is awful though.

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #10639 on: April 22, 2018, 10:21:01 AM »
Buffalo '66 (1998): Slightly artsy character dramedy about a guy recently released from prison who kidnaps a girl to play his non-existent wife for his parents. They spend the day together. 8/10

I always remember this one for the beautiful way it was shot, including one of the first Matrix bullet-time* effects I ever saw (pre-matrix).

*I know... in matrix bullet-time, time progresses, the cameras don't all shoot the same moment, and I know all about the camera rig they used, ya don't need to school me. Just didn't know what to call the other thing. Stop-time effect? I remember the Lost in Space movie (also 1998) had one too.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #10640 on: April 27, 2018, 03:01:01 AM »
Infinity War - Honestly, about 7/10

I was very sceptical going in, but they managed to pull this one off in an admirable fashion. I wouldn't say that this is the best Marvel movie, but it is a fairly solid and well-balanced one, which is all the more impressive knowing the hype, the gigantic main cast and the almost completely out of the blue (more like purple, heh) villain. Surprisingly, the big, final punchup did not end up as the usual coma-inducing punchsplosion-fiesta.

On the other hand, i was slightly annoyed by
(click to show/hide)

Also
(click to show/hide)

Plus
(click to show/hide)

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #10641 on: April 27, 2018, 02:50:07 PM »
Not seeing this until Sunday morning and I am NOT clicking on your spoiler tags. But you've got me wondering: "out of the blue (more like purple) villain"

....Galactus? Could it be?

DO NOT confirm or deny, please.

Probably not Galactus. But who else could it be? Purple Mavel villain who would fit in a cosmic setting. Certainly not Kilgrave , LOL (and he's dead anyway). The Impossible Man? Holy cow, would THAT blow Minds! Super-skrull...?  GAHHH! Is it Sunday YET???

Offline Redamare

• Deleted
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10642 on: April 27, 2018, 03:12:37 PM »
I'm not going to spoil it for you, but I haven't seen the movie, either, yet I can't imagine how you don't know that it's
(click to show/hide)
"redamare has kicked this thread's ass" -champagnej

Certainty is the enemy of wisdom.

--RED-uh-MAR-ay--

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10643 on: April 27, 2018, 08:26:15 PM »
RAMPAGE: Ah, just see it stoned.  ;D
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Nosmas

« Reply #10644 on: April 27, 2018, 09:06:56 PM »
I don't think the villain in Infinity Wars is any secret. He's also probably the least "out of the blue" villain yet considering he's been in at least four movies and referred to in several other Marvel movies leading up to this. It's also been discussed in many interviews about where the movies are headed for the last several years... I'm seeing it tomorrow so maybe there's another big purple bad guy I'm unaware of.
Providing yesterday's solutions to today's problems, tomorrow!

Offline fred.slota

« Reply #10645 on: April 27, 2018, 09:24:12 PM »
And shown (and named) in the trailers. 
And on the movie posters.
And of course, intimately tied in with the infinity stones since they were called soul gems in the comics since the 70s.

This discussion rings me similar to the people who forgot that the HBO Game of Thrones series was based on books.  I remember the outcry over people discussing the Red Wedding before it happened on air.

BTW, I started a thread for the movie

https://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,50196.0.html

Offline Nosmas

« Reply #10646 on: April 27, 2018, 09:33:22 PM »
And shown (and named) in the trailers. 
And on the movie posters.
And of course, intimately tied in with the infinity stones since they were called soul gems in the comics since the 70s.

This discussion rings me similar to the people who forgot that the HBO Game of Thrones series was based on books.  I remember the outcry over people discussing the Red Wedding before it happened on air.

BTW, I started a thread for the movie

https://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,50196.0.html

I look forward to reading that thread once I see the movie. Until then I'll continue avoiding it like it's an evangelical handing out pamphlets.
Providing yesterday's solutions to today's problems, tomorrow!

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10647 on: April 28, 2018, 01:02:53 AM »
I don't think the villain in Infinity Wars is any secret. He's also probably the least "out of the blue" villain yet considering he's been in at least four movies and referred to in several other Marvel movies leading up to this. It's also been discussed in many interviews about where the movies are headed for the last several years... I'm seeing it tomorrow so maybe there's another big purple bad guy I'm unaware of.
I recall one angry person who had just seen "Fellowship of the Rings" and was furious that there was no resolution to the problem. He ended with a cruel spoiler: "And Gandalf DIES!!!"

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #10648 on: April 28, 2018, 10:21:51 AM »
Not seeing this until Sunday morning and I am NOT clicking on your spoiler tags. But you've got me wondering: "out of the blue (more like purple) villain"

....Galactus? Could it be?

DO NOT confirm or deny, please.

Probably not Galactus. But who else could it be? Purple Mavel villain who would fit in a cosmic setting. Certainly not Kilgrave , LOL (and he's dead anyway). The Impossible Man? Holy cow, would THAT blow Minds! Super-skrull...?  GAHHH! Is it Sunday YET???

You really have been fastidious about avoiding spoilers.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #10649 on: April 28, 2018, 02:22:52 PM »
I saw Avengers: Infinity war last night. I'd say 8/10

(click to show/hide)
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

personate-rain
personate-rain