Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 532308 times)

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #10695 on: May 08, 2018, 08:55:04 AM »
Pontypool 7/10. Interesting take on the zombie genre. Also a low level satire on the English language. The movie's thesis seems to be we overuse many terms to the point where they go beyond meaningless, they turn us into metaphorical zombies. Most of the movie takes place in a radio station at night. The staff trying to figure out what's going on from limit reports coming into the station and then having to speak with authority based on such snippets was handled well. Didn't much like the ending. Stay for the credits.
Movie was obviously funded by the Quebec Movie Council.  ;D

"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #10696 on: May 08, 2018, 09:10:27 AM »
Black Panther - 8/10 (for an action Marvel movie. 6/10 overall.)

Much better than the stuff coming out of Marvel in the last couple years. I liked the art design, the casting; I REALLY liked the effects. I thought they were front and centre as truly top notch. The plot was adequate and the alternate history of Africa is interesting to contemplate... while living in Africa. I loved both Villains. Top notch action movie.

edit - DL'ing Pontypool on your recommendation.
Quote from: materialist_girl
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #10697 on: May 08, 2018, 09:23:59 AM »
Of Horses and Men/Hross í oss 10/10

This Icelandic film is easily in my top 5... perhaps top 3. How it has a 6.8 on IMDB is beyond me. Oh look... 100% on RottenTomatoes with 29 reviews. Absolutely marvellous. A Tour de force. If you don't mind subtitles, there's no film I'd recommend more strongly. It's not really a romcom... I have no idea why it says that. It's more of a taciturn, slyly clever, sometimes dramatic and even horrifying... it's one of the best things put to film I've ever seen.

A country romance about the human streak in the horse and the horse in the human. Love and death become interlaced and with immense consequences. The fortunes of the people in the country through the horses' perception.

Kolbeinn loves Solveig and Solveig loves Kolbeinn but Kolbeinn is in love with his prized possession and darling, the mare Grána and Grána is obsessed with the stallion Brúnn. Spring is coming and the whole community is following the story. This cannot end well. Vernhardur is in love with vodka and the horse Jarpur loves Vernhardur, his master. Aboard a Russian trawler is a mate by the name of Gengis who doesn't have vodka but loves horses like Jarpur. This not going to end well. Grimur has a passion for ancient horse roads but Egill admires barbed wire fences. Grimur owns a horse and a pair of pincers and Egill owns a tractor. This cannot end well. Johanna loves Raudka, her mare, but Raudka is in love with freedom. On the heath by an old summer cottage lies an injured old man. This could have a happy ending. Juan Camillo loves life and nature and is seeking God in the Icelandic highlands but the horse Old Piebald is tired and longs for rest. How will this end? Well, it all ends in ...

« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 09:27:46 AM by SnarlPatrick »
Quote from: materialist_girl
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #10698 on: May 14, 2018, 12:27:38 PM »
Thor Ragnarok ~ 8/10

I really enjoyed it while sitting in front of it. Will not remember it in a day.
I think Marvel movies need to decide if they're gonna be all serious like Winter Soldier and Dark Knight or funny like this one. Not mushy middle like most have been, where each direction undercuts the other. My friend said I should watch this before I watch Avengers: Xfinity War... and I now will bite the bullet and do that... I guess.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #10699 on: May 14, 2018, 12:37:53 PM »
The departed  now 7ish out of 10

When I first saw it maybe a 9 or 10. It holds up pretty well but a little dated. Its been a few years since I've seen it and watched it many times so the think the score is just cause, meh, scene it too many times.

Offline Nosmas

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #10700 on: May 14, 2018, 03:35:14 PM »
The departed  now 7ish out of 10

When I first saw it maybe a 9 or 10. It holds up pretty well but a little dated. Its been a few years since I've seen it and watched it many times so the think the score is just cause, meh, scene it too many times.

That's been one of my go to movies when asked what my favorite movie is. I've probably seen it 4 or 5 times but I haven't watched it in the last 5 years. Now you have me questioning if I still like it as much as I think I do.
Providing yesterday's solutions to today's problems, tomorrow!

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #10701 on: May 14, 2018, 03:44:44 PM »
Thor Ragnarok ~ 8/10

I really enjoyed it while sitting in front of it. Will not remember it in a day.
I think Marvel movies need to decide if they're gonna be all serious like Winter Soldier and Dark Knight or funny like this one. Not mushy middle like most have been, where each direction undercuts the other. My friend said I should watch this before I watch Avengers: Xfinity War... and I now will bite the bullet and do that... I guess.
It really seems like you should have given up on these movies a while back? Not everything is for everyone....

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #10702 on: May 14, 2018, 05:25:32 PM »
Thor Ragnarok ~ 8/10

It really seems like you should have given up on these movies a while back? Not everything is for everyone....

I have wondered the same thing. Maybe Henning has a masochistic streak? :)
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #10703 on: May 14, 2018, 05:36:56 PM »
Taking comic book movies too seriously is just weird.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #10704 on: May 14, 2018, 11:43:43 PM »
Taking comic book movies too seriously is just weird.

FUCH EWE AN DUH WHORES YOU ROAD INN AWN!

...I may have overreacted.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10705 on: May 15, 2018, 07:13:47 PM »
Deadpool 2 8/10
More Deadpool.
Less groundbreaking.
Still very funny with fun action and cool characters. VERY authentic to the comics.

Offline fred.slota

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #10706 on: May 15, 2018, 08:06:41 PM »
Slightly off topic, but...

Usually I don't like the themed stunt repackaging of movies on DVD, the Easter theme, the minimalist art theme, etc.

BUT, I just saw a display in Wal-Mart where Deadpool was added/replaced into the artwork.  Deadpool holding LOGAN's hand, as Apocalypse's face, holding the Fight Club soap, two faced Assassin's Creed, Edward Scissorhands, Wilson on the Castaway ball Revenge of the Nerds holding up tighty-whiteys with a DP logo, etc.

Hilarious. 

I give that 8.5/10

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #10707 on: May 17, 2018, 05:35:58 PM »
Thor Ragnarok ~ 8/10

I have wondered the same thing. Maybe Henning has a masochistic streak? :)

My fuckin' friends keep BEGGING me to see 'em!
My girl is professionally woke AF, so she drug me to Black Panther...
Dr. Strange was free...
my two best dudes both swear Infinity War is the best thing ever, and everyone has seen it now, so it's gonna help to know the memes...

For pop culture sci-fantasy-action spectacle right now, this and Star Wars is all there is... and they're the same fucking company doing pretty much the same fuckin' uninteresting thing. I haven't been excited about one since Watchmen.
As long as this bubble lasts, I'll be over here in the corner doom-saying, wishing we could all snap out of this endlessly-regurg'ed CG-brawler effects trance and get some orig. IP going again. I do enjoy my corner, yes.  ;)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10708 on: May 17, 2018, 06:33:30 PM »
I just think the Marvel experiment has been an unprecedented artistic endeavor, made possible by a deep love and understanding of the IP and a thirst for cash by the patrons.
Michelangelo drew angels and shit because he was paid to.
18 movies of different genres strung together in this sort of continuity is basically unheard of at this level.
Though I can understand not enjoying any particular movie.

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #10709 on: May 18, 2018, 12:38:36 AM »
I just think the Marvel experiment has been an unprecedented artistic endeavor, made possible by a deep love and understanding of the IP and a thirst for cash by the patrons.
Michelangelo drew angels and shit because he was paid to.
18 movies of different genres strung together in this sort of continuity is basically unheard of at this level.
Though I can understand not enjoying any particular movie.

Interesting analogy...
The way I see it, I'm over here enjoying my Bosch, my van Eyck, Durer and Botticelli, then Michelangelo comes on the scene and all anyone wants anymore is perfectly-muscled bodies and the Bible stories they already know they love with their fuckin' boring-ass superhero, Jesus Christ.
Sure, the Sistine Chapel is a mind-numbing amount of work. Kudos. But I feel like if I've seen one swole angel lounging on a throne, I've seen 'em all. I'd rather spend two hours looking at The Garden of Earthly Delights.
 >:D

« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 12:42:10 AM by Henning »

personate-rain