Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 493204 times)

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #10755 on: June 09, 2018, 06:27:35 PM »
Solo 8/10
A very decent space adventure movie.
I think the dude who played Han was really good, just dont expect anything more than a heist movie written for kids.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #10756 on: June 09, 2018, 08:12:49 PM »
Solo 8/10
I think the dude who played Han was really good, just dont expect anything more than a heist movie written for kids.
Original material was a comic book, so that would be good advice.

At least we found how he did the Kessel run in 14 parsecs.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #10757 on: June 09, 2018, 09:14:18 PM »
Solo 8/10
Original material was a comic book, so that would be good advice.

At least we found how he did the Kessel run in 14 parsecs.

I shouldn't bite on an obvious nerd trap, but ....  ;)

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #10758 on: June 10, 2018, 12:23:05 AM »
Singularity: 3/10

I’m a sucker for sci-if, but this was a hot mess. Poorly written, poorly acted—even the CGI was bad.  I can’t believe I actually finished it.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #10759 on: June 11, 2018, 09:46:44 AM »
Euroclub 5/10 (found on Amazon Prime)

I think someone really wanted a trip to Austria and look at tits. So they made a movie. Three American millennials travel to Austria to meet up with the uncle of one of them. The uncle has the top dance club in Europe and needs a ring mistakenly mailed to his nephew with a similar name. Many hi-jinks occur on their journey and they see a lot of tits.

Amusing in parts. Reminiscent of a Harold and Kumar jaunt. Lots of very beautiful topless women.

Human Centipede 3/10 (found on Netflix)

Can't quite find anything redeeming about this movie. Explain it to me.

The Last Man on Earth (1964)

The first time I Am Legend was filmed. This version they're vampires. The 1970s version they were black power anti-gun nuts. The 2000s version they were more like zombies. In the 64 version, Vincent Price holes up in his hovel of a home. Charlton Heston in the Omega Man holes up in a luxury penthouse. In the 1964 version the vampires are comically unthreatening. Slow. Dumb. They mostly try to hit you with a stick. They have limited speech. The scene where his wife comes back to life was actually quite scary.

"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #10760 on: June 11, 2018, 09:51:36 AM »
Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein, original releases.

Trippy.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #10761 on: June 12, 2018, 06:46:06 PM »
I'd like to see Ocean's Eight for Father's Day - but I haven't seen any of the other movies in the franchise.

Will I get it? 

Is it as good as it looks?

Amend and resubmit.

Offline fred.slota

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #10762 on: June 12, 2018, 06:48:18 PM »
Mildly wondered, Ocean's 8?  Did they leave numbering room for a trilogy, 9 & 10?

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #10763 on: June 12, 2018, 09:49:29 PM »
Mildly wondered, Ocean's 8?  Did they leave numbering room for a trilogy, 9 & 10?

They've already done Ocean's 11 (1960 and 2001), Ocean's 12 (2004), and Ocean's 13 (2007). Maybe O8, O9, and O10 are the plan. Neat idea!

I want to see this one ASAP. Maybe father's day will be the day.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline fred.slota

« Reply #10764 on: June 12, 2018, 11:21:06 PM »

They've already done Ocean's 11 (1960 and 2001), Ocean's 12 (2004), and Ocean's 13 (2007). Maybe O8, O9, and O10 are the plan. Neat idea!

I was taking the knowledge of the existing O's 11, 12 and 13 as a given.

Blow your minds even more, would the NEXT one then be Ocean's 23: Ocean's Avengers, or Ocean's 13 v 10: Dawn of Injustice?

Would the DC vs. Marvel version be Ocean's vs. Fast and Furious?  Or Ocean's vs. the Expendables?

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #10765 on: June 13, 2018, 09:03:12 AM »

Maybe they could only find eight actors for the movie. Or maybe their budget only allowed them to hire eight actors.

I'll probably put this movie on my NetFlix queue, but I won't be going to the theater for it. (I almost never go to the theater. I prefer being able to split a movie into two evenings, as well as pausing it to get up and do whatever.)

Baywatch (free on Amazon prime). 6/10. It was okay. Johnson has done better. There were some pretty women. Kind of formulaic. Not a complete waste of time since it's free. The bit with the spiny urchin was a nice twist, though I'm pretty sure it's bullshit. The evil woman was particularly hot.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #10766 on: June 14, 2018, 10:45:09 AM »
Donnie Darko - 8/10
Could have been better but it's a very dark and twisted story and I really liked it.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #10767 on: June 14, 2018, 01:00:39 PM »
Donnie Darko - 8/10
Could have been better but it's a very dark and twisted story and I really liked it.

It's been a long time since I saw it, but I sure loved it back then.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Nosmas

« Reply #10768 on: June 14, 2018, 02:58:17 PM »
Donnie Darko - 8/10

It's been a long time since I saw it, but I sure loved it back then.

I watched it last year after having gone over 10 years without seeing it. I couldn't understand why I thought so highly of it back then. I'm thinking it's because I was young and thought it was super cool for being so deep and mysterious. Plus I guess I hadn't seen the time travel looping paradox a million times already then.
Providing yesterday's solutions to today's problems, tomorrow!

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #10769 on: June 14, 2018, 04:16:23 PM »

I was taking the knowledge of the existing O's 11, 12 and 13 as a given.

Blow your minds even more, would the NEXT one then be Ocean's 23: Ocean's Avengers, or Ocean's 13 v 10: Dawn of Injustice?

Would the DC vs. Marvel version be Ocean's vs. Fast and Furious?  Or Ocean's vs. the Expendables?

I have never seen or have any interest in any of these Oceans # films, but I would seriously not be surprised if someone has the idea to combine Clooney's crew and Bullock's crew into one massive Avengers-type film. I don't think any of the characters have died in these non-violent heist films, have they....? Probably the other sticking point would be the astronomical cost of such a cast: Clooney, Pitt, Bullock, Blanchett, Damon, .....there's close to $100 mill right there I expect. 

personate-rain
personate-rain