Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 522142 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #10995 on: September 13, 2018, 08:43:35 PM »
The Incredibles 8.5/10
I have seen the scene with Mr Incredible being made the new suit but never actually saw the movie. Excellent movie.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #10996 on: September 14, 2018, 01:55:00 AM »
Upgrade (2018): Guy becomes a quadriplegic as a result of a violent crime that also kills his wife. He gets implanted with an experimental chip that gives him his motor control back and goes out to search for the killers. But the chip has a mind of its own. Cool movie. I enjoyed it a lot. There were some pretty gory moments but it was more of a noir scifi action movie than a horror. 8+/10

9/10

I loved it. Highly recommended.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #10997 on: September 14, 2018, 03:18:04 AM »
Sicario: Day of the Soldado 5/10

This is what happens when you have a fantastic and smart original movie, then remove the core conflict and the emotional centre and make a sequel about how cool the scary bad guys really are. The whole point of Sicario was the exposure of an exceptional "civilian" cop to the world of the completely amoral killing machines who are frighteningly good at shooting people in the face, but who aren't even interested in solving the problems and are actively making them worse, and said cop's degradation by her exposure to sociopathic terminators who are doing her job in a completely alien, terrifying manner that is both extremely effective and completely pointless.

Now we have the amoral killing machines doing more amoral killing in more bombastic setpieces (without any real peril), and while they tried to insert an outsider that character is just not developed enough, and who is an actual child whose trauma conga line just does not work as well as Emily Blunt's did. Especially since she is a child, not a talented, experienced grown police officer. Also Emily Blunt is an amazing actor.

Also, there are many things that make no sense, including a main plot about starting a turf war that really doesn't go anywhere (the film effectively raises the stakes then makes them disappear), a genuine miracle, and an unnecessary sequel hook.

It is aspiring for way too much to be a dump action flick, it is not good enough to be a serious border thriller and it just ends up being completely unremarkable and kind of disappointing.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #10998 on: September 14, 2018, 04:59:58 AM »
The Incredibles 8.5/10
I have seen the scene with Mr Incredible being made the new suit but never actually saw the movie. Excellent movie.
Dash's dash has to be one of the best sequences in animation history.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #10999 on: September 14, 2018, 05:35:43 PM »
Halloween 2018
9/10

If you're a Halloween fan you'll love it. It reinvents just enough, but really just more indulges in the genre.
Horror lovers will like it, but it's made for Halloween film fans.
If you're not either, you'll probably think it's mostly dumb and formulaic.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #11000 on: September 16, 2018, 06:51:17 PM »
Robin Hood (2010): A bit of a mess. It starts out OK and obviously Ridley Scott knows how to direct, but the pacing is really uneven. The movie is 2h20m, but at 2h in Robin has barely shown any interest in being a rebel at all. Almost all of the action is in the last 20 minutes in which he suddenly wins the affection of Marion (who up until that point had been rather stand-offish), becomes king John's second in command, thus presiding over an army capable of defeating a small French invasion force (which for some reason arrives in what seem to be WWII landing craft with oars sticking out the side), which he then promptly dispenses with with relatively little effort. He is aided by Maid Marion, who leads a sad looking small bunch of local-starving-children-turned-poachers to what in reality would likely be their senseless and gory death, seeing as they are the only people there without armor. When that battle takes place, rather than lead the giant contingent of archers, we see "Robin Hood" (who is only once referred to as such in the movie as far as I can recall) ride to battle on a horse waving around a smallish warhammer. It's supposed to be an origins story (which you couldn't possibly know from the title - I did not realize this going in and was just kind of wondering when we would get to the more familiar part), but in the end it just seems the have almost nothing to do with the familiar tale at all. The IMDB trivia for the movie say "Ridley Scott wanted the Sheriff of Nottingham to be a more conflicted character", but I'm not sure his maybe thirty seconds of screen time really count as a character at all. For all it's flaws, though, it's not totally unenjoyable, so I'll still give it 6+/10

EDIT: Also a lot of things in the movie make no sense; Robin pretends to be Robin of Loxley, who recently died after having been on crusade for 10 years, at the request of Loxley's father, so that Marion can inherit his lands when he dies. Robin the impostor meets several people who seem to have interacted with Robin of Loxley before, but noone who is not in on the plot seems to realize that they are not the same person.
The French, meanwhile, are plotting to conquer England by disguising a small band of their soldiers as King John's men and pillaging the north of the country in an attempt to have the local lords of those lands rise up against the king. But rather than waiting for this internal turmoil to do some actual damage, they attack right away. And there's a ton of little storylines that just never seem to go anywhere. Maybe they intended for those to play a role in the sequel, which was cancelled due to poor reception.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 07:05:27 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #11001 on: September 16, 2018, 07:53:43 PM »
Yeah, Robin Hood was very poorly written.

People try and say that writing doesnt really matter and quote out of context things from popular movies to make the point, but if you keep being jarred out of your suspension of disbelief then its bad writing imo.

That bit with Marion and the urchin 'army' was fucking absurd.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #11002 on: September 17, 2018, 03:26:03 AM »

Yeah. This was another one of these weird little unfinished side stories. At one point it seemed that they might have Robin start training the poacher kids and it is obvious from the ending that the intention was that they would become his band of robbers, but the only thing that ever happens is he gives a little speech about how he could train them and walks off. He never actually trains them, the other merry men don't meet them... I don't think we see them again until the final battle. It's just weird.
Mooohn!

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11003 on: September 17, 2018, 12:58:39 PM »
Touch of Evil (1958) 8.9/10
Man, there are amazing sequences of light and shadow all through this. It opens with an amazing tracking shot.
Charlton Heston as a Mexican was a drawback, as is never really knowing what Welles' real vision was for this. Music, story and acting are great. Janet Leigh! Yowza.
Orson Welles is corpulent and hideous.
This could be remade--taking place today--but you'd need a a really good director / producer. I think the Coen Bros could pull it off.

The Truman Show (1998) 8/10
It's entertaining and disturbing. In some ways I thought it so novel when it first came out, but at the same time am surprised something like this wasn't made in the 1970s. (though I can'tr believe it is 20 years old already) Definitely a good critique on media, audience devotion to media and what we consider god to be. Ed Harris character is cruel, but no more cruel than what people see as their god.
It's interesting that the audience watching him seem oblivious to their being complicit in his circumstances, unaware their their "rooting" for him in no way absolves them from basically aiding and abetting the network.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #11004 on: September 17, 2018, 01:36:49 PM »
Yeah, Robin Hood was very poorly written.

People try and say that writing doesnt really matter and quote out of context things from popular movies to make the point, but if you keep being jarred out of your suspension of disbelief then its bad writing imo.

https://www.slashfilm.com/how-nottingham-became-robin-hood-screenwriter-tells-part-of-the-story/
The story of how the movie got made is far more interesting than the actual movie. I predict there will be a film about the making of it someday, or an inspired by Barton Fink-esque type thing. Hope the Cohen Brothers are up to it. Throw a past his prime director Ridley Scott type into the blend with a despicable, ego-monster like Crowe and make their victim the screenwriter with a high concept, hot property and there's your movie!
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline CookieMustard

• Off to a Start
« Reply #11005 on: September 17, 2018, 05:28:19 PM »
Touch of Evil (1958) 8.9/10
Man, there are amazing sequences of light and shadow all through this. It opens with an amazing tracking shot.
Charlton Heston as a Mexican was a drawback, as is never really knowing what Welles' real vision was for this. Music, story and acting are great. Janet Leigh! Yowza.
Orson Welles is corpulent and hideous.

Also Akim Tamiroff, Mercedes McCambridge, Marlene Dietrich ("Honey, you're a mess."). Great film.
The Criterion release of this contains a booklet with Welles' notes to the studio complaining about their cut of the film and what his intentions were. It has been a few years since I read it, but as I recall he goes through the film pretty much scene by scene.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11006 on: September 17, 2018, 07:43:10 PM »
Alan Smithee could have done a better job.

;D
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #11007 on: September 17, 2018, 08:02:02 PM »

;D

lol
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just a guy who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11008 on: September 18, 2018, 07:29:22 AM »

;D

lol
Ah, another veteran of film class.  :D

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11009 on: September 20, 2018, 07:21:14 PM »
Cube - 5/10

Cube 2: Hypercube - 4/10

My overall reaction was ‘meh.’
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

personate-rain
personate-rain