Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 524252 times)

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #11115 on: November 04, 2018, 04:19:08 PM »
Close Encounters of the Third Kind [...] I still lol at the first roadside scene when they look down on Muncie, Indiana. I lived near there for years, no such view is available.

Maybe it's the view from the flying saucer?
Nope, Nery and The Mom are standing on the road.

Oh, well. It's been at least a decade, maybe more, since I saw it. I thought it was a pretty stupid movie anyway. They could have done a decent flying saucer movie without all the stupid new-age premonition stuff. Was this the one where the ETs say "Ack ack ack" and the professor's box translates it? Or was that Mars Attacks!?
That was Mars Attacks, based on a series of bubble gum cards. Made the comic book movies look high brow.

This is the one that goes  Re, Mi, Do, Do, So!

This video shows why I got disgusted with it. Watch the first few seconds and tell me if that thing actually fits back there.

"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #11116 on: November 04, 2018, 05:14:34 PM »
So after all the stupid premonition and new-age stuff, the thing that disgusted you was that the saucer shrinks to fit the space they cleared for it? Hey, if they can build a ship that floats like that without any downward thrust blowing everything around under it, they can probably distort space to fit into small parking spots. They probably got that worked out around the time they figured out how to travel between stars. Solving the parking problem is probably what earned them enough money to make the trip.  ;D
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #11117 on: November 04, 2018, 07:10:17 PM »
Capote  9/10

They created quite a complex relationship between TC and Perry. 
They created quite a complex conundrum between the publishing and the punishment, to finish the book.
Phillip S Hoffman turned in the outstanding performance everybody knows about.
Hanging scene was perfectly morbid and visceral.  I liked the parallel of covered heads on the victims and hanging mask on the murder.
Relationship between Perry and the other guy (Dick?) was kind of vague.
Ending was a little heavy-handed ... "The truth is you didn't want to save him"... just in case someone wasn't paying attention.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11118 on: November 05, 2018, 06:39:55 AM »
So after all the stupid premonition and new-age stuff, the thing that disgusted you was that the saucer shrinks to fit the space they cleared for it? Hey, if they can build a ship that floats like that without any downward thrust blowing everything around under it, they can probably distort space to fit into small parking spots. They probably got that worked out around the time they figured out how to travel between stars. Solving the parking problem is probably what earned them enough money to make the trip.  ;D
My "Rule of So" states that any response that begins with "So..." should be examined for a strawman argument.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #11119 on: November 05, 2018, 07:32:35 AM »
Stalker - 2/10 - 3 russians wander around ruins called 'the zone' then decide to just go home. Twist ending isn't worth it.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #11120 on: November 05, 2018, 07:45:57 AM »
(click to show/hide)
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #11121 on: November 05, 2018, 08:14:36 AM »
First Man 7/10

I might have to see it again. I expected a kind of Right Stuff. However, upon reflection that's not the kind of movie Neil Armstrong would have wanted. I think the movie's tone and pacing kept in line with Armstrong's tone and pacing.

"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #11122 on: November 05, 2018, 04:09:02 PM »
(click to show/hide)

The so-called "Rule of So" appeared on the ISF and was quickly adopted by... certain posters... as a means to avoid answering valid critical questions. As such I am 100% suspicious of anyone who answers any argument with "Rule of So!". I don't know whether it originated on ISF, but that's where I first saw it.
Self-described nerd

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11123 on: November 05, 2018, 08:16:21 PM »
(click to show/hide)

The so-called "Rule of So" appeared on the ISF and was quickly adopted by... certain posters... as a means to avoid answering valid critical questions. As such I am 100% suspicious of anyone who answers any argument with "Rule of So!". I don't know whether it originated on ISF, but that's where I first saw it.
Certain posters didn't understand it. They were good for excuses. By my rule stands by itself. Your rule may be different, but mine works for me.

Online CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #11124 on: November 05, 2018, 08:27:13 PM »
Certain posters didn't understand it. They were good for excuses. By my rule stands by itself. Your rule may be different, but mine works for me.

This is my rule. There are many like it, but this one is mine...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 10:33:51 AM by CarbShark »
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just a guy who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #11125 on: November 05, 2018, 11:28:26 PM »
I was just noting that the usage of "So," at the start of a statement has recently become a marker for a transition. It's existed for many centuries as a sentance starter, but not with the frequency we see today. I don't know what ISF is. Maybe a new thread if this is interesting?

Back to movies?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11126 on: November 06, 2018, 03:19:12 AM »
I was just noting that the usage of "So," at the start of a statement has recently become a marker for a transition. It's existed for many centuries as a sentance starter, but not with the frequency we see today. I don't know what ISF is. Maybe a new thread if this is interesting?

Back to movies?
International Skeptics Forum, the corpse of the James Randi Forums.

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #11127 on: November 06, 2018, 04:11:11 PM »

Back to movies?

Rumors of its death are greatly exaggerated. Despite a few doomsayers the forum is still active and lively.
Self-described nerd

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11128 on: November 06, 2018, 09:48:56 PM »

Back to movies?

Rumors of its death are greatly exaggerated. Despite a few doomsayers the forum is still active and lively.

wow
i totalyl forgot about them.  I actually wrote an article for their blog like 8 years ago. --edit, wait no, i confused them with the international league of skeptics
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11129 on: November 07, 2018, 12:21:00 PM »
Coco. (2017) 7.5/10

This is my second viewing. The story gets a little sentimental, but overall it is an entertaining one, and for a movie that has a main focus on the importance of music, it is a good one in that the original songs are all very well written and performed.

It is sort of alarming how enormous Coco's skull is compared to her parents--and just about everyone else.