Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 531122 times)

mindme and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #11160 on: November 19, 2018, 10:44:24 AM »
Night of Comet
7.5 out of 10
A comet kills everyone on earth save a few teenagers and some zombies.  Amazon prime recommended this to me, probably because of chopping mall and I expected total trash, but was pleasantly surprised.  Decent acting and dialogue, with some interesting plot twists, and I think it even passes the Bechdel test.

Chopping Mall was not without its charms. I sometimes like to click on the director or production/release company link you find on the movie's info page. You find some other awesome movies. I think Chopping Mall is released by a company that has released a bunch of other classic 80s low budget cult films to Amazon. Q is one.

Lol, my brother and I use to love this movie growing up, but have not seen it in a very long time. We had it on VHS and watched it often, I will have to check it out again.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #11161 on: November 19, 2018, 02:54:54 PM »
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs 8/10 (netflix)

The Coen Brothers produce and direct 6 western shorts in one film (originally 6 minis). Just about every classic western scenario is covered here.  Its funny and exciting. Some great acting and it looks magnificent.

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #11162 on: November 19, 2018, 04:16:34 PM »
I have to check that one out.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #11163 on: November 19, 2018, 07:36:45 PM »

The Coen Brothers produce and direct 6 western shorts in one film (originally 6 minis). Just about every classic western scenario is covered here.  Its funny and exciting. Some great acting and it looks magnificent.

Joel and Ethan Coen are interviewed on the "Fresh Air" podcast

https://www.npr.org/rss/podcast.php?id=381444908
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just a guy who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11164 on: November 20, 2018, 01:15:28 PM »

Definitely good.
It's definitely cool that each story has that different scenario: The gunfighter, the bankrobber, the stagecoach, the wagon train, etc

They also do a good sampling of some of the Coen's own array of genre: slapstick comedy, thriller, suspense, supernatural--all with their great take on dialog.

Definitely a cool entry into their body of work.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #11165 on: November 23, 2018, 07:31:04 PM »
I will admit that I find the Coens hit and miss. Mainly due to their endings but also they tend to indulge themselves a bit much for my tastes.
I did like the opening chapter of Buster Scruggs but after that, it went off a cliff for me. The Liam Neeson bit was pretty good and gut wrenching, but that aside, i found the dialogue to be interminable and inconprehensibly delivered.

I also expected far more from a talent like the Coens regarding native americans. They could have left them out altogether or done something interesting but their appearances were as lazy and stereotyped as could be.

I actually sighed in relief when the movie was over.

Im not looking to argue about it and I can see why people like it (hence, its pointless for me to score it) .

But goddamn. This may be my least favourite of their films. The only one I outright dislike at least.

Online daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #11166 on: November 25, 2018, 08:04:44 PM »
American Psycho 2. 10/10. Rotten Tomatoes hates this movie. Calls it badly written and badly acted and criticizes it for not being either suspenseful or horror. The only thing they like about it is Shatner as the philandering professor.

I thought that Shatner gave the only really bad performance in the movie. But then, I don't care for his acting, which is one of about a hundred reasons I hated the first generation of Star Trek.

I never saw the first American Psycho. Apparently it is a suspenseful horror/slasher. This movie is not that, so if that's what you're expecting you'll be disappointed. Mila Kunis plays a young woman who, as a child, was traumatized by an encounter with the bad guy from the first movie, and decides that she wants to devote her life to catching psychotic serial killers. She stops at nothing to achieve her goal. It doesn't hurt the movie that she's very easy on the eyes.

The movie is neither realistic nor horrorific nor suspenseful. In real life Kunis's character would be a horrible, vile person. As a kind of comic book fiction, the movie is a fun romp. Kind of Tank Girl meets Leglly Blonde.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #11167 on: November 25, 2018, 09:49:49 PM »
Saw "Crimes" again. Much clearer on the second viewing, still information dense. There are maybe six threads that were spawned in this one. Grindelwald is out in the open ish. New characters are shading the clarity and promising something that may or may be needed before the end. And where did that second infant go?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #11168 on: November 25, 2018, 10:22:17 PM »
Crimes of Grindlewald - 4/10

I'm starting to get the feeling that Rowling should really have written these as books and then had them adapted by someone else.  It's as if she's so intent on fleshing out her Wizarding World that she doesn't even bother to follow basic screenwriting 101 rules.  Yes, those rules are meant to be broken at times, but only by those truly in control of their craft and she clearly is not a top screenwriter.  There are so many crucial plot points in this movie that are related by someone, somewhere talking about it that I literally had to ignore the movie for a minute or two at one point just to piece it all together in my head so I could figure out what exactly the plot was.  On top of that, while I was excited to see the American characters from the first movie in this one, I felt that everyone except Tina was blatantly shoe-horned in, and Queenie was not done any justice at all here.  In fact, I'm still scratching my head over the choices she made in this film and how her character could have possibly changed so dramatically from one movie to the next. 

The main thing that really causes this movie to falter though is that it does a terrible job of showing us what the central story is.  There are so many competing stories and none of them seem to be given the screen time they deserved to fully invest the audience in them.  For example, a central mystery of the film is who Credence's parents are.  Just about none of the story about Credence's quest is actually told from his perspective.  Virtually every single important detail that I can recall of his quest, is related in through exposition from one character to another without him even in the scene most of the time.  He just kind of shows up at times, like some other character has predicted, and does something to move the plot, then someone else tells another character why it was important.  Super.  Freaking.  Boring.  It's like this for so many goddamn things too including and especially the climax of the film.  Exposition dump after exposition dump and then brilliant visuals and effects thrown at you with little or no idea as to just what the hell is actually going on.  Everything looks amazing, really better than ever, but it feels empty and I just don't freaking care.  It certainly lost the attention of my 11 year old who adores Harry Potter. 

Bottom line, the production values and acting in this film are all on point so far as I can tell.  It's just the way the story is told that make me completely uninterested in this new series of films. 

« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 10:24:51 PM by Eternally Learning »

Offline stretcher

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Learned it from watching you, dad
« Reply #11169 on: November 25, 2018, 10:58:51 PM »
Rowling is such a great writer when it comes to novels. She is a terrible screenwriter IMO. I've only been published twice, once adapted to a short film, and even I feel like I could write a better film than Crimes and whatever that first movie was called. Crazy Beasts or whatever. Forgettable.

Online mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #11170 on: November 26, 2018, 08:11:32 AM »
Cam (netflix movie) 4/10

I can't help but feel this movie might have been something 10 years ago or more when the cam girl thing started. I did like the viewer chat window comments seemed to be pretty realistic. I liked her interactions with her regs and her subtle way she plays with them. But, the whole taken over by an AI thingy seemed dull.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #11171 on: November 26, 2018, 09:22:27 AM »
the post  7.5/8 out 10

Good movie, great cast, timely story. Loved seeing so many comedians doing serous rolls. Mr. show reunion! That said it never built the tension as much as it seemed like it should.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri 9 out 10

I loved it, great story, cast, writing and acting. It all came together. My biggest pet pev is that it was shot in NC and not MO. The mountains where far to pronounced and high for MO. Very minor detail I'm picking nits over.

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #11172 on: November 27, 2018, 07:16:21 PM »
The Spy who Dumped Me 6/10
It is watchable but nothing like as good as Atomic Blond.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline swan

• Off to a Start
« Reply #11173 on: November 27, 2018, 08:44:49 PM »
After 25 years, I finally rewatched Coneheads (1993) last night. It's certainly no sci-fi or comedy masterpiece, but I think I enjoyed it as much now as back then: 8/10 – though I definitely appreciate the sweet thing Beldar did a lot more.

(click to show/hide)

It's got more nuance in the direction than I noticed back then. Also, unlike many movies with a lot of big names, the story kept moving along and there was never a point where I wanted to skip ahead. (Too bad Dan Aykroyd didn't use Conehead-shaped skull bottles for his vodka brand.)

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11174 on: November 28, 2018, 09:32:06 AM »
Back to the future 2:  6.5 out of ten, but it's hard to judge next the masterpiece that is the original.  There's nothing really wrong with it but it just didn't quite have the same sense of fun and adventure as the first movie.

Back to the future 3:   8/10  A lot more fun than the second movie with some nice payoffs.  The old west biff has a certain sense of swagger and danger that the other Biffs don't have, which makes him a more interesting villain.  Neither are as good as the first one and both have pretty solid special effects that still hold up quite well.  I have heard people knock the second movie for all the fax machines rather than predicting the internet but I think they got the spirit correct.  People are just as overwhelmed with IT as they are today even if the specifics were off.  The hoverboard effects specifically look great. People really thought that was going to be a real product.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

personate-rain